10 Classic SST Moments You Shouldn't Show Your Kids

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me too! It makes want to go to the bathroom and cry myself to death. Ugh

I agree, Drtooth! There should be petions and boycotts to ban people that keep posting a bunch of crap that is not supposed to be mentioned in Internet or be newspaper. EVER! :frown::sigh:
No no no. That's not it at all. There are some very good sites with well thought out lists. And then everyone and their mother has these lists that are thrown together and just odd singular opinions or something no one would agree on. I really like Cracked (most of the time) and they have some real talent working and contributing to that site.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Well.. I do agree about that today's kids shouldn't see Lefty. These days there are more & more weirdoes around selling drugs. If little kids saw Lefty today & saw a drug dealer on the street , in their innocent minds they'd think "Ohhh.... you're like that man on Sesame Street who charges a nickel for everything!":shifty:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still don't say that Lefty represented drug dealers; he comes from a time where door-to-door salesmen were commonplace, so naturally, a lot of people would take up selling, albiet illegally (I believe you had to have a permit, or a license, to sell door-to-door), as a get rich quick scheme... shifty and shady salesmen wearing trenchcoats with black market goods stuffed in their pockets became something of a recurring fixture in fiction. RECESS had a similar character, remember Hustler Kid?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Well..maybe Kermit was a bit harsh to Cooke Monster saying his mommy wouldn't love him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lefty is nothing more than a parody of shifty "fell off the back of a truck" salemen that are a staple of old comedic routines. And Sesame Street (at that time) was made of old comedic routines.

He's far more of the Rolexxxxxxx watch salesman type, not a drug dealer.

It just wouldn't work on today's show, since that kind of terrible bootleg stuff is sold in "Friendly 99 Plus" store types (the crappy ones where nothing is a dollar an they exclusively sell East West DVD's) or on the internet. It's a very dated joke, nothing sinister to be had.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So is Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco on there because it involves disco and disco is dated? Because if that's the case, there's plenty more disco songs to put on the list. And yet even after disco died out, disco has occasionally been used on the show. The first year of Journey to Ernie included a disco location, for example. I think I read that disco was once used in a Sesame Street Live show sometime in the last ten years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disco is DATED! Muppets doing Disco is never out of fashion. Muppets doing anything is never out of fashion.

I guess it was only on the list due to the thin connection between Disco and drug use at disco clubs, when Sesame Street only did Disco to parody the popularity of Saturday Night Fever counterculture (i.e. the fakey mainstream disco that only became popular due to that film). But so didn't Mickey Mouse. So they might as well talk smack about the Disney characters doing disco as well.

Bridget

Reaction score
Just who do they think they are saying "not cool" Kermit? How dare they!!! Kermit's rage was only apart of his character, and if you ask me, that episode was rather funny.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Just who do they think they are saying "not cool" Kermit? How dare they!!! Kermit's rage was only apart of his character, and if you ask me, that episode was rather funny.
Well I love Kermit, but he was just a little harsh...

Bridget

Reaction score
Well I love Kermit, but he was just a little harsh...
................Okay, okay, I'll admit it WAS a teeny-weeny smidge bit harsh, but come on, the frog has anger management issues...