1-2-3-4-5..6-7-8-9-10..11-12!

ISNorden

Reaction score
I've read here that the number 1 didn't start sponsoring the show until 1986, though Muppet Wiki has pages for three first season episodes that are supposedly sponsored by 1, but that info comes from archive material that fans can see at the CTW Archives, stored at the University of Maryland. So either 1 didn't sponsor until two decades later, or it sponsored a few times in the first season and then stopped until 1986, or it's sponsorship was few and far between until 1986. For those wondering, the first season episodes sponsored by 1 were episodes 86, 116, and 120.
Most episodes in Season 1 taught three letters/two numbers each (although 10 always appeared as the only number sponsor in episodes that taught it). If #86 and #116 were sponsored by 2 and 3, then chances are good that 1 appeared on those episodes without getting "sponsor credit". (One isn't the only number to get left out that way, though. Episode #8 includes segments about both 4 and 5, but names only 4 as a sponsor at the end.)

If #120 is the only Season 1 episode to teach 1 as a genuine sponsor, it must've been the rarest number to get that kind of credit on the show--until 1986, at least.

However, there were still segments about the number 1 during the early years. I've been told that these skits were usually shown in episodes sponsored by 2 (the first two episodes that 1 apparantly sponsored are also sponsored by 2 and 3). And many recurring number segments did not have individual segments about the number 1. It could have been because of the number's lack of sponsorship. I don't know if the producers or writers thought it would be too hard to teach 1 or what. It would probably be hard (or pointless) to teach kids to count to 1.
Teaching "you can't count without 1" would have been useful; but stopping a count at 1 is pointless even to kids, I agree. The way most of those number segments were set up, they'd have to count single objects; the Pinball series is an exception though, and could have included a #1 version if CTW had wanted it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If #120 is the only Season 1 episode to teach 1 as a genuine sponsor, it must've been the rarest number to get that kind of credit on the show--until 1986, at least.
I could be wrong. It might have been episode 121. I read the pages for all first season episodes at Muppet Wiki, and recall the last ten epsiodes being sponsored by one number each,f rom one to ten, and it might have been episode 121 instead of 120.

ISNorden said:
Teaching "you can't count without 1" would have been useful; but stopping a count at 1 is pointless even to kids, I agree. The way most of those number segments were set up, they'd have to count single objects; the Pinball series is an exception though, and could have included a #1 version if CTW had wanted it.

The Jazz Numbers and Mad Painter series also could have had #1 segments. And there could have been a "Mystery Drawing" sketch for 1. There also could have been a variety of sketches where 1 is drawn on-screen, and Kermit could have given a lecture on the number 1.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Most episodes in Season 1 taught three letters/two numbers each (although 10 always appeared as the only number sponsor in episodes that taught it). If #86 and #116 were sponsored by 2 and 3, then chances are good that 1 appeared on those episodes without getting "sponsor credit". (One isn't the only number to get left out that way, though. Episode #8 includes segments about both 4 and 5, but names only 4 as a sponsor at the end.)
I thought that the Muppet Wiki page for episode 8 mentioned that 4 and 5 both sponsored the show. I guess that was a mistake, and should probably be corrected. When research at the CTW Archives was first worked on, the Muppet Wiki pages for episodes 1 through 5 mentioned some of those episodes having less sponsors but always being either W, S, E, 2, and/ or 3, abd later, as the guides were being expanded, it seems like these sponsors changed, with episode 4 having completely different letter sponsors, and nearly all other episodes from that first week being W, S, E, 2, and 3.

And there are a lot of episodes that have skits for numbers that aren't sponsors. There have been skits that have taught kids to count up to 40, but 21 is the highest number to have sponsored the show, and 21 only sponsored the show twice. Episode 131 has sketches for 10 and 20 although 2 is the sponsor (that epsiode listed J as the only letter sponsor, yet there are all kinds of individual letter skits in that episode), episode 276 has a 20 skit despite 2 being the only number sponsor, and episode 406 has a skit for the number 6 although (again) 2 is the number sponsor. And I believe that 8 has a sketch for the number 10 as well as 4 and 5.

mikealan

Reaction score
I've got a QuickTime movie of Pinball Count #3 if you'd like to download it.
Actually, I've seen all of the number versions of Pinball Number Count various Sesame Street episodes on tape and DVD and some on YouTube between 2003 and 2007:

2-on #'s 1056, 1186, 1316, 1396, 1706, 3010, YouTube
3-on #'s 1037, 1092, 1707, 2951, YouTube (Dutch)
4-on #'s 1709, 2475, 2607 (very glitchy), 3244
5-on #'s 1710, 2486
6-on #'s 2096, 2123, 3178, YouTube (I think the first few seconds are cut off)
7-on #'s 1041, 2440, YouTube
8-on dvakman's SS non-Noggin clip compilation tape
9-on #2073 and YouTube (it was seen between two parts of Kermit News: Little Bo Peep)
10-on #3158 and YouTube (I remember seeing it on there last year but unfortunately, woobie took it off)
11-#'s 1933, 2956
12-#'s 1576, 2058, sawing14's UK tape compilation (Boober)

ISNorden

Reaction score
You're lucky, since I'm limited to watching/posting whatever I can get online (and I wasn't fast enough to grab those now-defunct clips from YouTube). Is there a way we can work out a deal so I can get the other 11 clips, please? *keeps her fingers crossed*

ISNorden

Reaction score
I thought that the Muppet Wiki page for episode 8 mentioned that 4 and 5 both sponsored the show. I guess that was a mistake, and should probably be corrected....
Yep, it was a mistake; I've got a .wmv file of Episode 8 to prove it. (The first time I watched all the way through, I was surprised to hear the voice-over mention all three letters but only one of the numbers.)

And there are a lot of episodes that have skits for numbers that aren't sponsors. There have been skits that have taught kids to count up to 40, but 21 is the highest number to have sponsored the show, and 21 only sponsored the show twice.
*nods* Although I personally saw both "21" episodes (and the related number skits) in the 90s, I wish I'd remembered more details so that other Wiki users could confirm my report.

Episode 131 has sketches for 10 and 20 although 2 is the sponsor (that epsiode listed J as the only letter sponsor, yet there are all kinds of individual letter skits in that episode), episode 276 has a 20 skit despite 2 being the only number sponsor, and episode 406 has a skit for the number 6 although (again) 2 is the number sponsor. And I believe that 8 has a sketch for the number 10 as well as 4 and 5.
Maybe non-sponsor letters and numbers should get an "Also mentioned:" entry if an episode shows clips specifically about them. "Specifically about" means a clip designed to teach only one letter or number (so reciting the alphabet/counting to 20 don't justify an "also mentioned" for the whole list). The "5" clip in Episode 8 does qualify, though; so do the early "1" clips and the odd letters in Episode 131.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I could be wrong. It might have been episode 121. I read the pages for all first season episodes at Muppet Wiki, and recall the last ten epsiodes being sponsored by one number each, from one to ten, and it might have been episode 121 instead of 120.
If only somebody at the CTW Archives could let people see those tapes; getting hands-on confirmation would be great!

The Jazz Numbers and Mad Painter series also could have had #1 segments. And there could have been a "Mystery Drawing" sketch for 1. There also could have been a variety of sketches where 1 is drawn on-screen, and Kermit could have given a lecture on the number 1.
Most of those ideas sound great, but Jazz #1 would be less vivid and memorable than the rest (half a dozen isolated objects, probably tall and thin, flashing to the number?). "Mystery Drawing" would be difficult too, considering how most kids write 1's in the US; how many silly guesses can the adult voice-over make for a plain vertical line?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
"Mystery Drawing" would be difficult too, considering how most kids write 1's in the US; how many silly guesses can the adult voice-over make for a plain vertical line?
How about a ruler? A very tall man with his arms stuck to the side of his body? A sideways rectangle? A bad rocket?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Touché; the "bad rocket" reminds me of Rowlf's calling a circle "a really bad triangle" in the pitch reel. *LOL*

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Touché; the "bad rocket" reminds me of Rowlf's calling a circle "a really bad triangle" in the pitch reel. *LOL*
And I was thinking of that line when I tried to think of some joke answers (and it was Kermit who gave the "bad triangle" line).