Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

Luke

Reaction score
From what i've heard there is definitely something being picked up on in the articles and it is factual, but i don't think it's all that decided what the final deal will actually include. I tend to think that Disney are hanging in there for the entire JHC for $70 Million but would take just the Muppets for that price. EMTV need the money but are probably seeing dollar signs in what has been produced and developed in the UK recently without any 'Muppet' involvement. If you just think logically, Eisner says 100-200 is unrealistic, rumors are that Disney will pay 70/80 tops- JHC is worth around 120 and there does seem to be some value in JHC's non-Muppet assets - just all adds up for me that Disney may well just be negotiating for 'The Muppets' nowdays.

I can understand it - with JHC you got the problems in Germany to deal with, the staff management and existing contracts at JHC, the facilities to upkeep - all Diz really want is Kermit in the stable with Mickey & Co, i guess they'll do the least they can to get that and would probably prefer a 'Pooh' style commitment.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's just sad that the EMTV deal was nearly 700M and this deal might be 70M. It is a quite different deal without Sesame, but eeek! :concern:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
It's just sad that the EMTV deal was nearly 700M and this deal might be 70M. It is a quite different deal without Sesame, but eeek! :concern:
Yes you can imagine the smile on the faces of the Henson Family and kids right now can't ya ?

:embarrassed:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
SS Muppets/12.5% Noggin stake: $180 million

22.5% of Odyssey/50% of Kermit Channel: around $100 million

Jim Henson's Creature Shop: I dunno...

Everything else: priceless...or IS IT?

Stay tuned...at least for another month or two.

Doogied

Reaction score
Disney = Money. Money = Continuity. Continuity= More Muppets. Need I say more?

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah but does the money come from Disney coffers or from whoring the Henson Company for all it's worth first ?

danielromens

Reaction score
Man, if EMTV sells the muppets I'm going to pop a cap in someone's bippy, yes I said bippy. This darned site won't let me express my real feelings. So how do you pro Disney folks feel about that idea. Not the bippy, just a Muppetless Henson company? Yeah, sounds real swell doesn't it, but I suppose you'll have your rides and collectibles.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Now for the ramblin'...

Well, let's put it like this. If Disney buys "The Muppets" (and the libary) as opposed to "The Jim Henson Company," there will still be Muppet stuff from a company that has the potential to put Kermit & Co. back in the forefront, as opposed to a company like Classic Media who won't do a d*** thing, though these are the MUPPETS so who knows. As for the Muppetless/EM.TV-owned Jim Henson Co., I don't know. We seriously don't know what Disney/EM.TV/whoever are doing. Maybe Disney will buy the Muppets, maybe they won't. Maybe they'll buy Henson (now we see there's a DIFFERENCE), maybe they won't. Maybe Valentine will get a winning lottery ticket or a new job at Burger King and collect enough money for a half, oh I'm sorry, 49.9% stake in Henson, and...do what he wants.

Keep in mind, he was the one (I believe) who started the Disney "cheapquel" series and even said that he planned to do more direct-to-video stuff. From me, it's not a criticism, but an observation. I haven't seen the movies and I barely see the commercials 'cause I watch the news and music networks anyway. Anyway...

If Walt Disney Co. buys Henson and/or Muppets, the Muppets will be a little more in the spotlight. I don't think Disney's so poor that they can't do THAT. It probably won't be like the 80s when the Muppets were the hottest thing around, but it'd be better than what it is now. I'm not interested in seeing the "magical" Muppets get all witty and just get by with a bunch of talk show/game show appearances. If they didn't have THOSE, I'd really question if the Muppets were retired, and if Henson was just focused on "Bear" and "Farscape."

I'd rather Disney buy the company and have a chance of reviving the "Muppet" franchise, than just complaining 'cause they make a bunch of cheap video sequels. I don't think the same people who produce the movies will make the new Muppet projects. But of course, I don't know. So let's see what happens.

As for "rides and collectibles," well, I haven't been to a Disney parks since '91 and never seen MV3D, and I don't shop, so I would have to rely on new Muppet stuff or the classics on TV.

Luke

Reaction score
I agree there are some benefits of Disney owning either Henson or The Muppets, and while i don't like the sound of it i also see great potential for a Europe based 'Jim Henson Company' without the Muppets rights. The benefits with Disney are mostly financial, facilities, visibility and sheer industry clout. That said, it was Haim Saban not Valentine (i think) who was focused on direct to video family stuff - and it's unfair to say the other companies would do nothing. Take Entertainment Rights PLC - they are a fantastically successful company and have done great things with their brands, i think they've just recently announced their most successful financial year and profits yet.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
No, it was the first Valentine article in Dec. that said their "initial focus" would be direct-to-video releases, though yes I'm sure him and other suitors would probably have additional plans for the Muppets. Though Classic Media have yet to prove that to me, and Ent. Rights, well, that's another side of the world, so I can't say. But they backed out, so not a concern.

I'm sure there'd be pros and cons with anyone who bought Henson or the Muppets. If Rivkin and his buyout won, there would've been a "yes, Henson gets to do its thing and not have anyone interfere with what they're doin'." While at the same time, possibly, we'd go right back to where we started when JHC was at a crossroads in '99. With Disney, "more rides and new Muppet stuff plus all the classics on TV", while there could be, well, y'all fill in the blank. As for Valentine and these licensing companies, I don't know. To be honest, I thought Valentine was the least likely to buy JHC, seeing he wasn't a billionaire or a company, but if Disney were to back out, I'd rather have him than CM.

Though I'm still sorta confused with Disney trying to buy the "Muppets." In this world, the Muppets mean three things: Jim Henson Co. itself, the "Classic Muppets," and all the Jim Henson characters, except Sesame Street (which would be better so all the franchises won't be divided.)

Darn you, Thomas Haffa.