Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's kind of 50/50. I don't know what criteria they use to make that decision. The Time Life and Muppet Family Chirstmas DVDs have that sort of treatment, but Kermit's Swamp Years and Muppet Treasure Islnad don't. So, I guess it's not a Disney issue. :confused:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think that the difference is based on what company owns what name.

At the time the whole (c) thing was going on, they didn't necessarily own the characters. If they buy the characters, then they won't have to (c) the names (actually trademarks (tm) is what is used on names).

I wonder if it's gonna be:
Disney presents
Jim Henson's Muppets

:confused:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I wonder if it's gonna be:
Disney presents
Jim Henson's Muppets

:confused:
Actually wouldn't it be:

Disney ©TM presents
Jim Henson's ©TM Muppets ©TM

Or worse yet

Disney ©TM presents
Disney's ©TM Jim Henson's ©TM Muppets ©TM :eek:

alorindanya

Reaction score
I'm really late in the game with joining this thread. I haven't read everything that has been written yet, but i get the sense that Disney is both loved and hated. I think that Disney will be a stable home for the Muppets, BUT I am worried about if the Muppets will still be the Muppets. They have always been off the wall and wacky, and I hope Disney does nothing to tone that down.

I have ALWAYS loved the Henson and Disney companies. I think they are in my blood. I am so lucky to have been able to work at Muppet Vision 3D at Disney/MGM Studios. IT was a dream come true, working for my favorite companies at the same time. Just seeing how things went at that attraction and on merchandising, It will be so great for Disney to finally not have to go through other companies to sell Muppet Merchandise. I now work at the Disney Catalog; we sell Bear in the Big Blue House stuff (yes, I know it is Disney's show, but it's still Henson). SO I'm hoping that if this event does happen, I will get to sell Muppet stuff too.:embarrassed:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i have been thinking about that these past days - the area where Disney will be strongest is the merchandising and i think it'll probably make a lot of people very happy. Ok, we might not get the quality and depth of Palisades/Sideshow that we are now used to, but tons of stuff is hopefully guaranteed - yeah some of it will be meaningless stuff like character lollipops and bendy straws but overall, they make some quality products - they aren't crappy and i bet some real nice stuff comes out thats at an economical price and easy to find. That'll be a bonus !

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
No, man. I've seen a lot of the recent disney merchandise, and it's crap. Plush is okay, action figures will suffice, but everything else they make sux eggz.

Luke

Reaction score
Really ? Oh jeez ! Yeah i knew the plush was good, i used to see snowglobes and teapots and clothes and things here that looked ok. I did see some awful looking little PVC things recently that came out egg shaped from machines one time - they were bad. I don't hang out in the Disney store much nowdays but was hoping the stuff was ok still but sounds like it's all gone down the drain with them.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Disney has quit selling 'collectables' in the Disney Stores. Now they sell cheap-o Wal-Mart, dollar store quality screen-printed clothes and dull, cheap toys. It ain't what it used to be.

Mid 90's they had better merchandise and store lay-outs, then they went corporate and have ruined it.

Just like they do everything else.

:mad:

danielromens

Reaction score
Holy S***! Luke and I are in pretty much total agreement on something. I too feel that Valentine is the best choice for ownership. Let's see...

He has nothing else to concentrate on

He wants to rejuvenate the brand with a surge of cash and new material

He wants to rejuvenate the company by expanding into more forms of entertainment besides puppetry

He has faith and respect for the Henson Company name.

He's interested in more than just using the Muppets and the library for quick cheap gain.

He has spearheaded some really great marketing and growth projects for Disney and other companies.

Oh yeah and he isn't disney. F*** Mousewitz I say.

Put them in the hands of this guy. I want the Henson Company to remain it's own entity. They proved themselves after Jim died to become independent after they were screwed by Diz. I think they worked way to hard to show the importance of the Henson legacy to have be just another sad shrub in the shadow of the redwood that is Eisner and Co. I think this will be a travesty if it happens. Hey it isn't like the new owner can't lisence them for wider use at the parks.

I just don't see how a muppet themed ride is going to help the brand in the long term. What I do see helping is an owner who's soul purpose is to rejuvinate a company and a brand of characters, not an existing company who just wants the competions cash to be it's own.

sorry but I call it like I see it. I smell a rat, or rather a mouse.

sorry Riz.

alorindanya

Reaction score
I won't disagree that certain things at the Disney Stores have gone completely down hill...like they no longer sell Adult Clothing. BUT, I work for the Catalog, not the Disney Store, and we sell AWESOME STUFF, collectables and all.

BUT your opinion may differ. I'm just happy with the prospect that More Muppets merchandise would be available to begin with. I know Muppet things have been sold at places like Hottopic and Gadzooks (I got the Kermit cellphone cover and car freshener), but I want more collectable stuff and clothes.