Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I read the DVD Talk review and saw that one of the bonus clips mentioned was Rainy Day Song, I thought the song title sounded familiar, though I thought it was a song sung by Bob (forgetting that that one is from the early 1970s). Then I looked it up on Muppet Wiki, and seeing the image looked familiar (for some reason I didn't get this sense of familiarity in the past when seeing the image in episode guide pages). But then I clicked on the link at sesamestreet.org, and it all came back to me. I recall seeing this segment as a kid, but hadn't thought about it or remembered it in who-knows-how-long. Sudden instant recall effect. Rewatched it several times, catchy tune, a number of the visuals came back to me just before I saw them in the clip. I am so glad that this particular clip is going to be included.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't see/notice any. Each episode has a very cheaply drawn title card "Sesame Street, Old School Volume 3" that I think is said by Carroll Spinney as Big Bird with the episode number, but no warning about educational curriculums etc.

HA! I'm sure Herald will be pleased, if that's the case.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does the booklet include an interview with any characters, like the booklets for the first two volumes?

liss1979

Reaction score
Just preordered my copy right now. When I read that the In/Out song was on there, I had to jump on it. I remember that song when I was a kid!!!!!!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just preordered my copy right now. When I read that the In/Out song was on there, I had to jump on it. I remember that song when I was a kid!!!!!!
The DVD Talk review referred to it as "In/Out with Barkley", so it's not actually the disco song with monsters.

liss1979

Reaction score
Oh I know...I was talking about the song with Barkley

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh I know...I was talking about the song with Barkley
I had no idea the Barkley segment was a song. I had seen an "in and out" segment with Barkley and Maria, which I don't remember including any singing, and then I read here that that segment was a remake of a segment with Luis.

Well, we have just five more days until the big day (which coincidently is also election day... But the release of Old School Volume 3 is much more important! :smile:)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I found another review that claims some segments have been removed for music rights. Unless they were referring to the theme song, I can't think of any that are actually non-Sesame songs except the Cab Calloway bit from #1576 and the Beethoven number from #1446.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I found another review that claims some segments have been removed for music rights. Unless they were referring to the theme song, I can't think of any that are actually non-Sesame songs except the Cab Calloway bit from #1576 and the Beethoven number from #1446.
Looking online, the Cab Calloway number is a parody, so I assume that shouldn't be a problem, and I thought that all Beethoven music had become public domain long before Sesame Street even started.

Still, I wonder if it's really due to any celebrity appearances. Though I think all of the celebrities in these episodes have appeared in material on other video and DVD releases. Not sure if clearing one appearance by a celebrity means all their appearances are cleared for video.

Then again, since the opening was cut, I wonder if this release cut every song written by Joe Raposo. It'd be sad if that was the case (I was looking forward to having "Dressed Up" on DVD).

I wonder what inserts (if any) will be included as replacements for the cut material. I'm torn as to whether I'd rather see them add rare inserts from before season 11 (since those wouldn't be included as bonus segments) or rare stuff from seasons 11-15 that didn't make it to the selection of bonus clips.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I keep saying the theme song is probably not a rights issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.