Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I confess...I charged Volume 3 to my "Bill Me Later" account, even though I'm trying to pay it off. Some deals are too good to refuse while you can get them! :embarrassed: If the DVD set covers more of that Puerto Rico trip than I've seen in Episode 1316, it'll definitely be worth every cent....

ISNorden

Reaction score
P.S. As far as the various "trip weeks" on Sesame Street (New Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Montana)....I still think each one deserves a boxed set of its own, with as much commentary as the producers can get. The odds of the Workshop doing this are a million to one, but if enough old-school fans ask then somebody still might listen!

Drtooth

Reaction score
P.S. As far as the various "trip weeks" on Sesame Street (New Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Montana)....I still think each one deserves a boxed set of its own, with as much commentary as the producers can get. The odds of the Workshop doing this are a million to one, but if enough old-school fans ask then somebody still might listen!
One of them was supposedly in the pipeline, I think it was the Hawaiian one, and it was said that Buffy signed a release to have her appearances on the DVD. But then that was just before Genius went bankrupt, and they didn't carry it over to Warner Bros.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The scenes from the Puerto Rico episodes were edited together for a 1979 special called "Sesame Street Goes to Puerto Rico". It'd be great if they made that whole special available.

ISNorden

Reaction score
One of them was supposedly in the pipeline, I think it was the Hawaiian one, and it was said that Buffy signed a release to have her appearances on the DVD. But then that was just before Genius went bankrupt, and they didn't carry it over to Warner Bros.
I remember a Honolulu journalist e-mailing me about those plans to release the Hawaiian week on DVD; she'd noticed my original uploads to YouTube and wanted to tell me that Buffy Sainte-Marie had signed the release you mentioned. It's too bad that Genius' financial problems ruined the deal, though; I would do almost anything to see the episodes uncut, after years of wondering what Noggin had cut to make room for (ugh!) commercials.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If a Hawaii set is ever released (on DVD or through iTunes), I'd love to see the episode before they leave when Big Bird wins the trip to Hawaii on a game show. I saw this in the 70's but haven't seen it since then. Since this episode never aired on Noggin it would be a fantastic addition to a Sesame Hawaii DVD set or an iTunes Sesame Hawaii episode collection.

zns

Reaction score
If a Hawaii set is ever released (on DVD or through iTunes), I'd love to see the episode before they leave when Big Bird wins the trip to Hawaii on a game show. I saw this in the 70's but haven't seen it since then. Since this episode never aired on Noggin it would be a fantastic addition to a Sesame Hawaii DVD set or an iTunes Sesame Hawaii episode collection.
It's funny that you mention it Phil because in the second episode of the Hawaii trip as the plane is getting ready to land, Big Bird mentions to Maria how Snuffy missed his free trip to Hawaii, and I always wondered if there was an episode where it was revealed that they were going.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's too bad that Genius' financial problems ruined the deal, though;
Was it really because of Genius that we didn't get the set? I don't know whether Sesame Workshop gets the video clearances or the company that distributes Sesame Street DVDs, but I would like to think that Warner Home Video could very well put out such a set.

All we got on video are two clips in the 40th anniversary DVD (ironically neither clip features Buffy). I'm surprised that none of the Hawaii clips are on sesamestreet.org or hulu or Sesame Street's YouTube channel.

• According to Muppet Wiki (via program guides at the CTW Archives) season 9 had several episodes involving the cast planning for the Hawaii trip. Those episodes include:
    • 1076 – Buffy invites the cast to Hawaii, the cast has a “street fair” to raise money for the trip
    • 1077 – Snuffy reveals he’s from Hawaii
    • 1979 – Big Bird wins the trip to Hawaii
    • 1982 – Big Bird packs
    • 1089 – preparing for Hawaii
And the episode after the six episodes that aired on Noggin involved them returning home. It might be hard to include the WHOLE storyline on DVD. I wonder if the six episodes that aired on Noggin should even be considered a six-part episode, since they don't exactly get to Hawaii until "part 2".​

ISNorden

Reaction score
It's suppose to be 1082, not 1982.
And 1079 for Big Bird winning the trip, right? :smile: I vaguely recall watching that episode on Grandma's TV when I was a girl, but never saw the rest of the Hawaiian story arc until I began collecting old episodes online. If Sesame Workshop does decide to offer all the relevant episodes for sale, I'd be willing to buy them at the first chance I got. (I'm betting that they'd rather release the shows on iTunes, since the public is more likely to buy a 12-episode "season package" for $25 than four three-disc sets for $100!)

Status
Not open for further replies.