Did the Emmy's forget Jerry Nelson?

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very disappointed at the Television Academy for not including Jerry Nelson in the "In Memoriam" segment of last nights Emmys, while including people who really were not known for TV like Whitney Huston, Donna Summers and Steve Jobs. Nelson preformed for over 40 years one of the most iconic characters in Television history, Count von Count, on probably the most important TV show in the history of Television "Sesame Street." Not to mention the characters he preformed on "The Muppet Show" and "Fraggle Rock." I'm not just saying this as a fan of his, but if you include David Letterman's makeup woman, you have to include Nelson.

Jerry wasn't alone. They also didn't mention Steve Sabol, president of NFL Films. Sabol was responsible for creating one of the most unique storytelling concepts in all of sports NFL Films and is one of the reasons the NFL is what it has become over the past 50 years.

You include someone who had nothing to do with TV like Steve Jobs but exclude Nelson and Sabol its just sad. The segment is to honer all of those who passed in Television not just Prime-Time or Daytime.
I agree. Although I can see reserving his Sesame Street work in memorium for the Daytime Emmys, but Nelson was a big part of The Muppet Show which obviously aired in primetime. I could understand leaving him out if they hadn't included Steve Jobs, Whitney Houston, etc... Obviously they weren't very particular about honoring people that just contributed to prime time television.

JennyPenny

Reaction score
Maybe we could get them to issue an apology if people emailed them with some heartfelt stories. :/

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Also when Fred Rogers passed away they honored him as well at the Prime Time Emmys. It maybe an oversight but still pretty sad.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I did not see the Emmys either, but I can't believe it. I would be so upset if they forgot Jerry. I grew up when he was around and I liked Gobo Fraggle :smirk: , the Count :batty: , etc when I was very young. He was my favorite idol amd his voice was unique and amazing.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I'm not getting my hopes up for the daytime emmy's mentioning him either....this is the same show that cut shore Carol Spinney's life time achievement award so Barbara Walters could announce that Rosie Odonell would be on the view