Your Thoughts: The StoryTeller

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Love, love, love the Storyteller. Seen every episode, I bought the 2-disc DVD set when it first came out. Apparently it's kind of rare now? Fav episode is The Soldier and Death; I loved the little devil puppets, they were frighteningly lifelike.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I loved the Storyteller, great stories and animatronics.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I had to laugh when John Hurt was playing in one of those ancient Greek movies (was it the remake of Clash?). My first thought was, "Daaaang, the Storyteller really gets around, doesn't he?"

Anyway, the quality was amazing. I haven't seen the Greek Myths version but it's on Netflix so I might. Like y'all said, it's like watching a full-length movie but in a third of the time. While I was disappointed in the Muppet Central parts of JHH (I know, throw rocks at me), the Storyteller segments were phenomenal. Jim obviously put his heart and soul in those.

SuzieChan

Reaction score
I really, really, really love "The Storyteller". Growing up it was one of the best things I've ever had the chance to see. And also one of the scariest.

The one episode that scared me the most was "Hans my Hedgehog"... the images of all grown-up Hans were haunting me throughout my entire childhood right along with the Groke from "The Moomins". XD Still it's possibly my favorite episode and the one which I remember the most fondly, not only because it was the first episode I've ever seen, but also because of the story itself and all the "Beauty and the Beast" elements in it.

Also, even though the show was quite a scare to me, it didn't stop me from watching the entire series over and over again. It was like an addiction. Heck, at some point my mom had to take away the VHS tape and hide it away from us, kids, because we were so hooked to it.

I didn't enjoy the "Greek Myths" that much, though... don't know why. As a kid I used to hate that particular season: I didn't like that John Hurt wasn't the Storyteller. As of now, my attitude towards it is better, but still it doesn't give me as much vibes as the fairytales. As much as I like Michael Gambon, he just doesn't do it for me... to me John Hurt is the Storyteller. I just love the way he acts and interacts with the dog character: it's truly brilliant.

Overall I really think it's one of the best things that Jim Henson has ever created (of course with the help of such talents as the late Anthony Minghella), and definitely worth giving a watch.