The Grumpy King: New Cartoon Network puppet series

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is this really puppetry? Looks more like CGI to me.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious CG effects (like the wand sparks) it's 100% hand crafted puppetry. Jonny and Will specialize in doing Bunraku-style puppets...their bodies and/or the control rods for the puppets are just erased in post production when necessary.

If you watch their demo reel (there's a link to it at the bottom of my post), it includes some "behind the scenes" shots of them rehearsing and working on-set. The same sort of technique was used extensively on shows like "It's A Big, Big World" and "The Book of Pooh".

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
The only thing I dislike is the fact that they don't talk. Who is going to sit through an 11 minute show with no talking? Other than that it is great! :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Is it an 11 minute show? It's probably non-verbal so it's easier to sell and broadcast the show in foreign markets.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Most Cartoon network shows last around 11 minutes, with two episodes. I could be wrong.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Saw the first video. It's intriguing to say the least. Will have to check out the other two later

bluebomber95

Reaction score
How the **** do they get those expressions?! It's looks like stop motion... without all the stop!