"The Muppets" isn't the Muppets

Do you think "The Muppets" was the Muppets?

• Total voters

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
No, I agree Whitmire has done an AMAZING job with Kermit. Big flippers to fill, if you'll pardon the expression. And I have no problem with a depressed Kermit. Makes him a well-rounded, full-blooded character. It's more about the writing of Kermit as an inspirational speaker, rather than a level-headed, sometimes a little on-edge but tolerant and chivalrous, joke-cracking frog. But that might come later. He's definitely more Kermit than he has been in a long time (again, no fault of Whitmire, who is simply amazing.)

@Beauregard: They've been doing that since the movie came out. Kermit saying "it's just a movie; we've been together the whole time. I live in a swamp, not a mansion," etc, etc.

As for Walter. I understand his purpose in The Muppets film, but I really don't think he's necessary from here on in. Peter Linz is an INCREDIBLE performer, and I think he should stick with the team. But Walter... how can I say this? He's just not an interesting enough character to keep around. His arc is done. His function - introducing the world to the Muppets again - is complete. This is a personal preference, I know. I just don't care for Walter that much, especially with some really great Muppet characters being sidetracked in his favor.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Walter is likely here to stay since he's the first new main Muppet under Disney ownership. Maybe that accounts for his first name. :fanatic:

His seamless integration into the cast is amazing and he'll develop beyond this picture over time. He's a entire generation's introduction into the Muppets so it's crucial for him to stick around. Lots of kids would be upset if he left. There's always room for new Muppets. It's not an either/or proposition.

I love Walter. I think he's fantastic!

Rugby

Reaction score
Don't take my comments too seriously. They're just off the cuff observations to contribute to the discussion.

You know, I totally missed the whole Walter/Walt Disney thing. *woosh* plane goes over head......

Walter kind of seems like the new Scooter a little bit, doesn't he? Scooter has put in his time. It's time for the newbie to do the dirty work now. Ha.

Whatever I may have said about the movie, I still really enjoyed it! And I believe I did give positive comments for anything I may have said that could be taken as a negative. I still stand by my Whoopi comment though. No polarizing figures connected to the muppets please. Everybody isn't liberal and you shouldn't have to be a liberal to enjoy the muppets. If we can't agree on that, then I don't know what to tell you. Peace.

Rugby

Reaction score
Just one more nitpick and then I'm done. And I'm wondering if anybody else agrees. I think Animal needs to go back to where he doesn't articulate his words so clearly. I think that's why the current Animal just isn't doing it for me. Bring the animal back in Animal I say. :halo:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I still stand by my Whoopi comment though. No polarizing figures connected to the muppets please.
Indeed. No polarizing figures should work with the Muppets. No matter if they're actually talented performers and their views on things outside of the project in question isn't given any kind of platform in the production. Even if they're Academy Award winners, it shouldn't matter.

For that matter, let's just scrub all the episodes of The Muppet Show with any kind of "polarizing figures" from any future dvd releases or tv broadcasts. Does anyone ever need to see the episodes with Lena Horne, Candice Bergen, Rudolph Nureyev, Elton John, Alice Cooper, Liberache, Harry Belafonte (even if that was Jim Henson's favorite episode), Carol Channing, Joan Baez, Glenda Jackson, Paul Simon, Tony Randell, or Linda Ronstadt ever again? In fact you know what REALLY needs to happen again? The old system of blacklisting performers, that's what! A degenerate like Will Lee should never have been allowed to play Mr. Hooper. Or any of those other "undesirables" that made up the bulk of the human cast of Sesame in its formative years.

Polarizing figures? They shouldn't even be allowed to use polar fleece to build Muppets with!

And what about that Jim Henson fella? Too much of a granola-chewin', environmentalist peacenik to have his name associated with the Muppets. Let's dub over all his old performances with Steve Whitmire's voice.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I don't even know what to make of this conversation anymore...:S

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Indeed. No polarizing figures should work with the Muppets. No matter if they're actually talented performers and their views on things outside of the project in question isn't given any kind of platform in the production. Even if they're Academy Award winners, it shouldn't matter.

For that matter, let's just scrub all the episodes of The Muppet Show with any kind of "polarizing figures" from any future dvd releases or tv broadcasts. Does anyone ever need to see the episodes with Lena Horne, Candice Bergen, Rudolph Nureyev, Elton John, Alice Cooper, Liberache, Harry Belafonte (even if that was Jim Henson's favorite episode), Carol Channing, Joan Baez, Glenda Jackson, Paul Simon, Tony Randall, or Linda Ronstadt ever again? In fact you know what REALLY needs to happen again? The old system of blacklisting performers, that's what! A degenerate like Will Lee should never have been allowed to play Mr. Hooper. Or any of those other "undesirables" that made up the bulk of the human cast of Sesame in its formative years.

And what about that Jim Henson fella? Too much of a granola-chewin', environmentalist peacenik to have his name associated with the Muppets. Let's dub over all his old performances with Steve Whitmire's voice.
<------ What he said.

Whatever I may have said about the movie, I still really enjoyed it! And I believe I did give positive comments for anything I may have said that could be taken as a negative. I still stand by my Whoopi comment though. No polarizing figures connected to the muppets please. Everybody isn't liberal and you shouldn't have to be a liberal to enjoy the muppets. If we can't agree on that, then I don't know what to tell you. Peace.
The Muppets have welcomed a wide spectrum of performers into their fold, both as puppeteers and guest stars. Sesame Street has hosted guests of all parts of the political spectrum and they've attended inauguration festivities and other political events. Of course they don't really endorse candidates even though Kermit seemingly gave a nod to Obama in the last presidential election. That's debatable, I guess. :smile:

Whoopi has been a great supporter of the Muppets for many years and she's never inserted her politics into any of their productions. In fact, the Muppets themselves have lobbied congress on behalf of the arts, public education and the environment. These are usually liberal causes that were also very important to Jim Henson. :jim:

I do think that Whoopi is a little over-exposed when it comes to the Muppets, but who cares? I don't always agree with what she says, but I think she's a great role model who never takes herself too seriously. We could all take a cue from her about that. :wink:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
How the heck does a celebrities point of view or politics have anything to do with The Muppets and make them look bad?? As much as I also think Whoopi has been overly used with them I think she has great chemistry with the muppets and always brought fun entertainment when she was with them. I personally don't really care what her views on life or politics are or any celebrity for that matter.

All I care about is seeing celebrities having just as much fun being with the Muppets as I am watching them.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I was also a little bothered The Muppets also needs to be Jason Segel's last muppet movie. I really don't want to see the Muppets become all about Jason Segel.
Well you don't have to worry as Jason Segal isn't being involved in the next movie in anyway shape or form. Jason himself said all his intent was to bring The Muppets back to how he remembered them. He had no intentions of ever making it seem like he was taking over the franchise or trying to become the next Jim Henson.

But you still need to give Jason credit for getting the movie made cause Disney certainly wasn't doing anything with them.

Drtooth

Reaction score

For that matter, let's just scrub all the episodes of The Muppet Show with any kind of "polarizing figures" from any future dvd releases or tv broadcasts. Does anyone ever need to see the episodes with Lena Horne, Candice Bergen, Rudolph Nureyev, Elton John, Alice Cooper, Liberache, Harry Belafonte (even if that was Jim Henson's favorite episode), Carol Channing, Joan Baez, Glenda Jackson, Paul Simon, Tony Randell, or Linda Ronstadt ever again? In fact you know what REALLY needs to happen again? The old system of blacklisting performers, that's what! A degenerate like Will Lee should never have been allowed to play Mr. Hooper. Or any of those other "undesirables" that made up the bulk of the human cast of Sesame in its formative years.

Polarizing figures? They shouldn't even be allowed to use polar fleece to build Muppets with!

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, how dare the Muppets welcome conservatives like Jon Voight, Ben Stein, not to mention Barbara and Laura Bush both appearing on Sesame Street.

NO ONE should be off the table because someone doesn't agree with their politics. And quite honestly, NO guest star ever used a Muppet Project as a springboard for their political beliefs.

Heck, Kelsey Grammar is so die hard a Republican, he made an entire channel devoted to his views. Does that mean I want Sideshow Bob removed from The Simpsons? Shell no! I still admire the guy, and LOVE his work.

Don't deny Whoopi from being with the Muppets because you don't personally gel with her views. I wouldn't deny any right wing celebrities for the same reason. Except crazy ex-rocker Ted Nugent. Aw, heck... he was able to make fun of himself well on The Simpsons... so never mind that.