Labyrinth on the big screen this weekend in Illinois

Magic Mara

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just found out that Labyrinth will be playing this weekend at the Genesee theater in Waukegan, Illinois. It's a special event for the promotion of the Bristol Renaissance Faire of Wisconsin. I'm not sure why they chose this film in particular, but obviously I'm glad they did! The show is at 7:30PM on Saturday, June 9th. It doesn't look like you can buy tickets in advance, so it would probably be a good idea to arrive there early. You can read more about it on the Genesee website:

http://www.geneseetheatre.com/index.php?file=c-eventdesc&iEventId=480

I can't wait! Is anyone here planning to attend?

amygam

Reaction score
cool. I wish my area (and those within a 100mile radius) would do something like that.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Is it screened from the Blu-Ray?

Magic Mara

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's going to be from the Blu-Ray, but I hope so! Sometimes seeing retro films on the big screen is a disappointment if they use an old and scratchy reel. :concern:

Magic Mara

Reaction score
Well, they did use an old reel, unfortunately! At the start of the film there was a weird purple cloud hovering on the screen, and people were laughing. Luckily it went away after about 3 minutes, and the rest of the movie looked pretty good. There was a nice surprise, though... The announcer said: "Before Labyrinth, we're going to show a Henson short film." It turned out to be an episode of Fraggle Rock! It was crazy fun to see the fraggles on the big screen, and the audience sang the theme song and was really into it. It was one of my favorite episodes, too: The Lost Treasure of the Fraggles.

Good times! :smile:

Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, what I thought. But Im glad the rest of the movie looked good.
Ah and Fraggle Rock... I loved them as a child.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Labyrinth is a real treat (well any old school Henson production is) to see on the big screen. I saw Labyrinth at the Henson festival they had in Huntington Long Island several years back, and it was special for me because I really wanted to see it when it first came out (I was about 10 years old at the time) but for some reason never did.

But people were really into it, and they did use an older film reel, which I personally like as I'm very into the age of old movie palaces and actual FILM, not digital. I usually feel gypped when they show a film from a DVD/BluRay at screenings like this. If I wanted to do that, I'd watch it at home, not pay money.

bandit

Reaction score
I agree! If I were going to watch the film, I would like to see it in the original reel format. It adds the perfect touch of nostalgia to the whole experience. I'm so jealous that you guys had that chance! Ah! Ya bums! Still, what a wonderful experience for a Henson fan! I hope we see more of that kind of thing throughout the country. Especially FL....especially Pensacola FL....Hahahaha