When you need to rant...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still, for a real laugh at the series, check out the 1960's Mad Magazine parody Hokum's Heroes. Especially the ending.
That I have seen, it used to be posted on the web years ago, but I believe the site it was posted on has since then disappeared, but yes, that was more amusing that the show itself.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't mind humor on controversial subjects. Humor can be a very powerful weapon against the evils in society, as Mel Brooks has often said about his take on the Nazis. Ultimately it's the execution that makes the difference. South Park does this very well, making a seemingly bad taste joke with a clear message underneath. Family Guy, on the other hand, just seems to make these jokes for shock value and little else.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Family Guy, on the other hand, just seems to make these jokes for shock value and little else.
That's been one of my main complaints about adult cartoons for a long time, it's like they put more of their time and effort into trying to, "Let's see how far we can push the envelope in what we can get away with this week" more than anything else...

And South Park's gotten its share of backlash as well, like when they made fun of Steve Irwin's death by having him show up at Satan's Halloween party, with a stingray sticking out of his bloody chest.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's been one of my main complaints about adult cartoons for a long time, it's like they put more of their time and effort into trying to, "Let's see how far we can push the envelope in what we can get away with this week" more than anything else...

And South Park's gotten its share of backlash as well, like when they made fun of Steve Irwin's death by having him show up at Satan's Halloween party, with a stingray sticking out of his bloody chest.
I'm a South Park fan, I'll defend them to the end, I think they're brilliant and I'm glad they have guts. A lot more guts than Family Guy ever had.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I humbly and sincerely apologize to anyone if I took things too far in my previous post. No, the guy (to the best of my knowledge) did not commit suicide, and I hoped one could appreciate the absurdity of trying to jump out a basement window because... YOU CAN'T! (If you did, it would not be a long trip).George Carlin could handle suicide material better than I ever could.
I too know suicide is a dark world. I lost a co-worker that way, and once upon a time even contemplated it myself. But just thoughts. I could never bring myself to do it, and certainly not to make light about it happening to others.
So again, please accept my apologies. I don't wish death on this guy. Only some brains. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My only thought about suicide is that the religious unrest that goes along with it... supposedly those who commit suicide are forsaken by God, but there's apparently nothing in the Bible that either confirms or contradicts it.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Women with tattoos.

I know I'm not going to be popular for this, and it may come across as superficial, but I feel that tattoos on women are a major turn-off, yet I don't understand why more and more women keep getting more and more tattoos. There's an old saying, "Why would anyone want to hang a picture on their body that they wouldn't be caught dead hanging on their wall?"
Okay, I know I'm coming to this particular dead-catting a little late...but:

I have four tattoos. All are in places which can either be covered up or displayed without violating nudity laws. ALL are my own art, transferred professionally to my skin by a good artist who used autoclave sterilization and had a policy of not allowing anyone under the influence to get ink in his shop. All are personally symbolic to me. Unfortunately, my skin has allergies to certain of the old pigments and I need to get all of them redone...but it has been twenty years since the first ink went on, so that's not a bad shelf life. I don't have the cash to spend on re-inking right now, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about having them redone. None.

I have an issue with idiots who walk into a tat shop and pick some silly thing off the wall o'flash and say "huh, that looks cool, put it on my hiney." Personal art of this nature ought to be...well...personally significant! After all, you're wearing it the rest of your life, folks. Make it count. I wish I had old pics of me so you could see the art on my skin when it was new and colorful, but until I get them all re-inked, the designs are on my DA pages, except for the segment of Berlioz' Requiem wound around my upper left arm (from the first brass-band section of the Tuba mirum leading up to the wonderful, violent clash of the Rex tremendae, for anyone familiar with the piece)...and the multicolored anole lizard curled on my right shoulderblade, which I adapted from an advertisement photo.

Have I seen ugly body art? Ill-considered, regrettable, soon-to-be-covered-or-lasered-off body art? Sure.

But that ain't me, kids.

http://newsiefan.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d3gixvi

http://newsiefan.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d3gixof
------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My only thought about suicide is that the religious unrest that goes along with it... supposedly those who commit suicide are forsaken by God, but there's apparently nothing in the Bible that either confirms or contradicts it.
It's a very old fashioned opinion from when people didn't understand the human psyche (or God's capacity for compassion).

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
You know what really bothers me? People like this guy:

(WARNING: CONTAINS SOME EXPLICIT LANGUAGE)

Yes, I know that there are members here that are gay and do support Dan Savage. But just from watching this, I absolutely will NEVER support someone as hypocritical and bigoted as Dan Savage. He's using his "anti-bully" pulpit just to bash the Bible and bash Christians. He is the bully! Did I mention this is at a high school? If I was a student there, I'd be walking out just as the many others who did. Good for them for taking the decision to not listen to the hate speech spewing out of this man's mouth.

You can't have it both ways, Mr. Savage. If you truly are against bullying, then that would mean being against bullying for all people: Gay or Straight, Christian or Atheist. But, instead, you'll use your false message of "tolerance" to spread hate speech. It's just plain bigotry and it's just wrong. What bullying Christians is okay? Is calling those Christian students "pansy-a**es" not bullying in your book?

Seriously, this jerk just bugs me. And anyone else who claims to be tolerant yet will bash Christians. This is hypocrisy at it's worst.

Okay, rant over.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If you truly are against bullying, then that would mean being against bullying for all people
Here's the thing about bullying--it does not necessarily encourage empathy. Some (not all) victims of bullying become very bitter (understandably) and turn around and attack the bullies (making them no better than the bullies). We're almost all guilty of this, regardless of religion or orientation, it's just an aspect of our imperfect human nature.