Confirmed: Jason Segel Bows out of "The Muppets" Sequel

jvcarroll

Reaction score
hmmm I liked both of them in this. I don't think you needed their storyline in its entirety. I think Jason Segel's character was worth having as he is the pull between Walter's old life and the new life as a Muppet. Amy Adams not so much. Again I didn't mind them so much over all but yeah it does take the focus away from the Muppets. On the other hand if one of us had the pull to get a Muppet movie made wouldn't you want to be a big part of that. On a side note I got a new issue of US weekly in the mail (Someone ordered it for us and I have no idea who) and it had michelle Williams and Jason Segel on the cover. The first thing I said when I saw it was, "I can't believe she fell for Muppet Man." and the rest of the jokes just kept coming after that.
I think the greatest flaw of the Segel/Adams scenes is that they should have unfolded while they were in the trenches working with the Muppets rather than separate scenes away from the central conflict. Why not have Miss Piggy and Amy Adams actually do their song and dance number in the same room together? The "Me Party" lyrics might have to be changed or it would need to be replaced with a new song, but that's more dynamic and Muppety than the number that made the film. A girls day out talking about their men taking them for granted would have been much more interesting and fun!

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm being nitpicky, but that's kinda how I see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the greatest flaw of the Segel/Adams scenes is that they should have unfolded while they were in the trenches while working with the Muppets rather than separate scenes away from the central conflict. Why not have Miss Piggy and Amy Adams actually do their song and dance number in the same room together? The "Me Party" lyrics might have to be changed or it would need to be replaced with a new song, but that's more dynamic and Muppety than the number that made the film. A girls day out having them talk about their men taking them for granted would have been much more interesting and fun!
It really seems like a wasted concept. Just one of many casualties of having so much happen in a single movie. It's not so much that me Party was bad, it just seemed like that would have been a better opportunity to address the problem of Gary being torn between his girlfriend and his brother, and how it really is Walter's journey and he didn't need Gary to hold his hand the entire way (just take him to Hollywood). It really seems almost like they scripted more conflict and depth for the three part relationship, but that got cut out even before shooting. There was no problem the movie couldn't have solved with more movie.

The big question is, what the heck is the next one going to be like, and if we're needing that much of a human presence for it. It's way too soon, and I'm sure Stoller and Bobin have too many concepts running around in their heads to even write them down at this point.

Here's what we usually get... either humans in the villain/antagonist role, humans in some plot moving second banana role (I'd count Gary and Mary), and humans in very key starring roles, particularly when they did the retelling movies. The Muppets had a lot of human time for the reason of telling the story and moving things along. It does indeed start out as their movie, but quickly turns into the Muppets as soon as they meet Kermit. Now, even if this movie is completely connected to this one in any way, the Muppets are all reunited (unless they want to do "The Search for Skeeter" but that's never going to happen, fanfic-sters), so there's no reason they wouldn't be their to start the movie (unless they have a plotline that does otherwise).

The thing is, we just don't know yet.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I think it's gonna be awhile before we even hear anymore news about the new movie. Scripts take time and I definitely don't want them to rush this just to push another movie out and then it's crap. Like I said "good things come to those who wait" I definitely think its a no as far as sequel I mean really there's no where else to go with it and the last thing I wanna see is them dragging it out. I think were gonna be looking at a brand new storyline with no ties into this movie. Just my opinion.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think the greatest flaw of the Segel/Adams scenes is that they should have unfolded while they were in the trenches working with the Muppets rather than separate scenes away from the central conflict. Why not have Miss Piggy and Amy Adams actually do their song and dance number in the same room together? The "Me Party" lyrics might have to be changed or it would need to be replaced with a new song, but that's more dynamic and Muppety than the number that made the film. A girls day out talking about their men taking them for granted would have been much more interesting and fun!

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm being nitpicky, but that's kinda how I see it.
The funny thing is I picture them singing that song together when I hear it.