For the 1st Time - BRAND NEW "MUPPETS" at BUILD a BEAR Workshop 2012!

robodog

Reaction score
I've gone to Build A Bear a couple times in the past few years. I wouldn't really do it these days but that's more because I don't like stuffed animals anymore than it is that I'm ashamed to go. A Rowlf might tempt me though as would the Snoopy had I known about it. I'm kind of upset I'm just learning about Snoopy. Snoopy's one of my heroes. But as toys go I prefer plastic to plush. The closest thing I collect to plush these days are FurReal dogs but they're basically a fur coat over a plastic body.

beaker

Reaction score
I honestly don't care, but my biggest fear is that one day, someone's going to pull me aside and say, "uh... you're going to have to step out or we're going to call the police, sir."

Plus, I don't like the image of having to fight off a 5 year old to use the stuff machine when I can just purchase a prestuffed one. And if I have to make something, I'll make my own Pookalooz style Scooter plush. That is, if I was any good at sewing. I'd rather REALLY make something than just give the illusion that I filled something with fluff.

I don't care much what everyone else thinks either, but there's only so much I can get away with.
I mean unless youre wearing a beige sports coat, mustache and tube socks I dont think anyone's going to comment on anything of the sort. I'm not saying take your brash uncensored style you freely wield here on the forums into real life, but I definitely had a transformation over the years where I never went for things or spoke out and then just kind of stopped caring. Sometimes ya gotta be Tom Hanks in FAO Schwarz. You should see the goofy antics my friends and I sometimes do(and film vlog for youtube) in such fine establishments as Toys R Us.

But bottom line, no worries...as truth be told, these "build a muppet" things look kind of lame. And where the heck is Fozzie? Surprised its not Kermit and Animal, as Muppet Marketing people seem to think only Kermit and Animal exist in this dojo

beaker

Reaction score
Pssh. I was in my late 20s when I went to Build-A-Bear with a friend, and we went to town making our new toys! I'm 30 now, still single with no kids, and I'd go without hesitation.
Score one more for the 30 something/single/no kids club!(or as I sometimes joke...I uh, dont think I have kids...)

Carl23

Reaction score
Sounds awesome, Walter... but I think it could use a little tweak. "Man Or Muppet" certainly needs to be an option. Come to think of it, Life's A Happy Song certainly fits so much better.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Question please: are the "record your own" voice boxes just one saying? Or can you record multiple sayings on one box?

Hopefully the latter is the case, I'd like to buy a few to put in my own homemade Muppets for my Son, he loves his talking Cookie Monster from BaB. :big_grin:

Carl23

Reaction score
Unfortunatly, they are just one phrase.... Plus they will only hold I think 30 seconds. At least the last time I was there, which was a couple years back. The ready-made ones, with "Official" sounds hold longer phrases.

You could still buy them, they DO sell these individually. It'd just be a bit more limited than you're hoping for. This also means that if they don't end up offering Muppet recordings, you could always buy these, take them home and record a clip from any Muppet (or your impression, Walter) and bring it back in and have it sewn into your Build a Bear.

EDIT: Just did a little digging on their website, and they do offer "Multi-track" sounds, for lack of a better description. Ones that will make 3-5 sounds. They DO sell them, but the "Record your own" isn't one of them. But they do sell Star Wars ones, and they only have Star Wars costumes, seems like EACH buildable gets one - they sell them to go with Alvin (5 phrases) and Smurfs ( 3 phrases). So it's possible that we may get a Kermit and Piggy talkbox.

Downside is the "Record Your Own" is the most expensive at $8, the rest are between $4 and $6. AND you can only record up to 10 seconds. So it's pretty limited...

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Lemme put it this way...

Single almost 30 year old guy alone at Build a Bear=

Best case scenario, I look like a Momma's boy/Arrested Development case.

And unfortunately, I don't have any younger relatives I could drag with me under the pretense of Babysitting....

point is, I look sad enough as it is without putting a plastic heart into a plush toy I'm supposedly "too old" to have anyway.

But then again, I was the only single adult at a Mo Willems kiddy book signing and I had a HUGE amount of fun. But then of course, the best part was the adult fan boy discussion I had about Sheep, Kids Next Door, and The Man Who Yelled.
Umm...or a creeper! :shifty:

Puckrox

Reaction score
Lemme put it this way...

Single almost 30 year old guy alone at Build a Bear=

Best case scenario, I look like a Momma's boy/Arrested Development case.

And unfortunately, I don't have any younger relatives I could drag with me under the pretense of Babysitting....
point is, I look sad enough as it is without putting a plastic heart into a plush toy I'm supposedly "too old" to have anyway.

But then again, I was the only single adult at a Mo Willems kiddy book signing and I had a HUGE amount of fun. But then of course, the best part was the adult fan boy discussion I had about Sheep, Kids Next Door, and The Man Who Yelled.
Quick! Make friends with someone who has kids! Then innocently suggest babysitting them one afternoon once the Build-a-Bear Muppets come out and then drag the kids with you to the store so you can get away with making one!

Luckily, being a chick in my very early twenties, I think I can get away with making one... maybe? I always have my little cousin though.

Slackbot

Reaction score
There's always the old "making a gift for a kid" alibi, too.