Pre-Order: "The Muppets" on Blu-ray and DVD coming March 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
why would u needto upgrade all your dvds to blu ray? just get a blu ray that plys dvds. Refusing to upgrade to bluray is like refusing to upgrade from VHS to DVD, but at least you can get a bluray that plays dvds. Or even better, get a ps3. It plays games, bluerays, and dvds all in one machine! You can even use it to get netflix and all kinds of other stuff.
Sorry, there's no comparing the massive leap from vhs to dvd. It's more like the leap from PS2 to PS3. Heck, for a lot of older movies it's like the leap between Gamecube and Wii. And what's the point of owning a blu ray player just to play my old dvds? Wouldnt I from a consumer psychological standpoint have to rebuy my films in blu ray format?

Just the ugly bright blue plastic along bugs me.

beaker

Reaction score
You CAN play DVDs on a Bluray player. You don't have to rebuy your existing collection to upgrade. In fact, it will make your dvds look better when connected to an hdtv.

A PS3 is the best way to go. Like I said, it plays dvds, blurays, and games, and has digital content.

Edit: and a bluray player is as low as $80 if not cheaper with all these x-mas sales. I think people just resist change.
Right, and how much is the HDTV in order to get good use out of it? I have the perfect setup right now. I never liked Ps3 games(more into 360), and I like to play dvdrs, cdrs, etc in a dvd player.

TSSD

Reaction score
And what's the point of owning a blu ray player just to play my old dvds? Wouldnt I from a consumer psychological standpoint have to rebuy my films in blu ray format?
Or you could use it to both watch old DVDs, as well as new Blu Rays. I don't see why you'd need to re buy movies just to have them on blu ray.

beaker

Reaction score
Um, LTS and Oz were telefilms. So a few extra seconds tacked on to something truncated for commercial time is different than a theatrical release. Very much doubt they'll do that.

cauuuuuse you dont have one!!??! :shifty:
Ive borrowed/been given "upgrades" people insisted I "had to have"...a Ps3, digital tablet for drawing, etc. Gave them all back to the gifter. I like having two nice big lcd screens for my computer workstation since I do a lot of music and video editing, as well as photoshop. But for movies, I just prefer letterbox to movies in the 16:1 aspect ratio.

beaker

Reaction score
Or you could use it to both watch old DVDs, as well as new Blu Rays. I don't see why you'd need to re buy movies just to have them on blu ray.
then why buy a blu ray player? If Im going to buy one, Id want to have the newest blu ray transfers/extras of Akira, LOTR trilogy, Matrix trilogy, the new Star Wars blu ray, Alien quadrilogy...thats thousands I dont have.

TSSD

Reaction score
then why buy a blu ray player? If Im going to buy one, Id want to have the newest blu ray transfers/extras of Akira, LOTR trilogy, Matrix trilogy, the new Star Wars blu ray, Alien quadrilogy...thats thousands I dont have.
So you can have NEW movies on Blu Ray, at least, or even one or two blu ray re-releases you really want. It's not like there's no reason to buy one if you don't buy every rerelease out there.

MustSeeHDTV

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a lot bias here as you can tell from my username. DVD's are way too blurry for me (even upconverted by Bluray player), but they are fine if you still have a standard definition TV, which appear that they ones complaining still have. Believe me you would not want DVD's if you had an HDTV. I can't stand it when I go to a restaurant or bar that have HDTVs but they leave it on a standard definition channel. I'm not saying that to be snobbish but because it really looks bad (fuzzy/stretched out wrong).

The reason why they have those Blu-ray packs with DVD is so you can buy them now (if you still have DVD), and not have to get the Blu-Ray later when you eventually upgrade. Believe me, I would rather a separate Blu-Ray release without DVD as it would be cheaper. They figure it is a way to get the product out there. This may be the reason why I remember reading that like 60% of video sales are Blu-ray now. It does seem low if companies are releasing special features on Blu-ray only.

As for a cheap bluray player deal, here is one from Groupon. I have never seen it so cheap. $59 sale for the next 5 days.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-toshiba-blu-ray-player?p=1

The best friday deal there was $199 40" Sharp 1080p at Best Buy, so prices are reaching commodity levels. Black Friday prices are usually the standard price the following year. Plus this is a Sharp, not a cheap brand like Best Buy's Dynex or Insignia. Most TV experts say to fully appreciate 1080p (due the pixel structure), it must be at least 40".

You don't have to have an HDTV to use a bluray either, but you will not be able to see the higher detail if you don't. Just hook the Bluray player up to your TV through composite input. That way you can slowly upgrade and get the missing features.

I personally do not buy as many Blu-ray as I did DVDs. I mostly rent now, but buy the occasionaly Blu-ray (The Muppets will be one). There are those that rent BDs from Netflix, Blockbuster or Redbox and rip them to a hard drive to play back on a computer/media player to their HDTV so they don't have to rebuild their collection in HD, but I'm not condoning that.

MWoO

Reaction score
seriously, who said u MUST rebuy everything? i like having new movies in hd.

and really? letter box? really?

beaker

Reaction score
I don't need to see fine detail on George Clooney's pores to enjoy Oceans 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.