How well does the new movie have to do?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I can't believe that I forgot VMX. I'd place that one third, between The Muppets and MFS, because of its wonderful, chaos-and-heart Muppety spirit and the message that Kermit has made a difference in the lives of everyone he knows.

beaker

Reaction score
Man I seriously feel bad for kids who were dragged to Arthur Xmas, Hugo, Happy Feet 2, and Puss and Boots!

So hoping a grassroots word of mouth plus an organic explosion of viral internet meme catch phrases culled from the new film happens:smile:

"The value of 'The Muppets' isn't just about the theatrical run," he said. "It's about how we might take advantage of this across multiple lines of business. This opens the door for us to think about how the Muppets can be showcased in a variety of different ways."

"We needed to make this film to bring these characters back," Hollis said. "It is a bit of a testament to the power of the Walt Disney Company and the power of the characters combined."
He said that now, "you take a property like this, have it permeate in every way possible the social consciousness of people in every medium possible, have a great theatrical opening and then watch it become a meaningful thing for consumers to interact with in a bunch of different ways."

That means merchandise and, perhaps, more movies, he said, noting that the film's soundtrack is the top soundtrack on iTunes.
"I expect more Muppets everywhere -- and everywhere would theoretically include the movie theater," he said.
So glorious. I want to see the Muppets over saturate the landscape on tv, toy shelves, print media, film and the media at large to the point people get sick of it:smile:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Man I seriously feel bad for kids who were dragged to Arthur Xmas, Hugo, Happy Feet 2, and Puss and Boots!

So hoping a grassroots word of mouth plus an organic explosion of viral internet meme catch phrases culled from the new film happens:smile:
I was amazed at how many parents that brought their kids to the movie when leaving were truly excited about the movie and commented how much they loved it. Just about everybody that was at the movie the 2 times I went had kids with them. But the parents enjoyed it even more. I think The Muppets have to overcome the notion that the movie is a kid's movie and once word of mouth gets out how great the movie is you'll see this change.

McFraggle

Reaction score
The last film in total box office or its first week?
It surpassed "Muppets From Space" in total box office the other day. Including the estimated five-day gross it has surpassed all of the original total grosses except for "The Muppet Movie." This does not take into account inflation, but it is still really good. Especially considering that the Muppets haven't been in anything major in years.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Well, Disney can claim in this coming week's tv spots "Its Official, The Muppets Are The #1 Family Film In America".
This week. Next week, all of the box office analysts are predicting (since literally no other films are debuting) that "The Muppets" will take the top spot with a lofty 16 million. So it could actually become the "#1 movie in America". Wow. Words can't surmise how incredible that would be. A Muppet movie. Number one in the box office. In 2011.

Oh and since everyone else is doin it:

1. The Muppet Movie
2. The Muppets
3. Great Muppet Caper.
4. Muppet Treasure Island
5. Muppet Christmas Carol
6. Muppets Take Manhattan (sorry, it did not age well for me)
7. Muppets From Space

(will I get trashed if I said that if I included VMX it would be above MTM? Okay I won't...)

zoebell

Reaction score
that'd be pretty good. i'm gonna bet it does better than that and tops 20 million next weekend. if the word of mouth is that strong it could do it, esp with no competition

Beauregard

Reaction score
(will I get trashed if I said that if I included VMX it would be above MTM? Okay I won't...)
Do it do it! VMX is one of my truly favorite Muppet things ever. It has a few too many shoehorned guest stars, but other than that it zings of Muppets surviving in the 21st Century and gives hope to us all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Puss in Boots was WEIRD! Lemme just say that. I dug it, but there was something just odd about the whole thing. I did like the only forced pop cultury bit in there was a reference to Fight Club. Unless the thing was supposed to be a Zorro parody. The writing was better than most Shrek movies at least. I refuse to see any of the rest of them. I'm so glad more families sat out the Christmas one since so many superior Christmas specials and older Christmas movies out there... I totally cringe when I hear the reference to "No Child Left Behind" in the trailer... got any dimple chad jokes in there too? Keeping it current?
It's only the first weekend and it looks like we're going to come out with about $42 million. Folks, that is INCREDIBLE!! It doesn't matter that it didn't make no. 1 at all cause from what I understand Disney expected Twilight to beat it, but with all the other family fare out there, especially a 3D movie and a CGI animated film that we beat, we should be dancing in the halls.
Twilight isn't the competition... it's the other family movies that were... and it completely smoked them. I'd say that all the Twilight fans that wanted to see it, saw it already. But above all, it isn't a family film. I'm just so happy Jack and Jill is eating it.

What's even more exciting is that there really is not much "new" competition until December 16th when both "Sherlock Holmes 2" and "Mission Impossible 4" come out. If Twilight starts to die off at all, which considering that it dropped 76% on Friday and only beat us by about $20 million for the 5-day, is a very decent possibility, we even have the possibility of rising to the top at some point in the next 3 weeks. It's safe to assume that with strong word-of-mouth, we could have excellent legs!
Kinda forgot Chipmunks 3... that would have been very strong competition, only because the last 2 did unexpectedly well... That would be the movie to beat, as kids probably won't be screaming to see Sherlock. Me? I'm just waiting on pins and needles for Tin Tin. That's amazing, to have 2 movies based on Belgian comics come out in the US the same year... of course, only ONE looks like it did things right.

beaker

Reaction score
I usually dont like the creepy Zemeckis mo cap stuff(tho Beowulf 3d was fun, and I liked both Final Fantasy cgi films) but yeah Tin Tin looks ridiculously adventurous. I just wish theyd also do an old school style animated film, like how they do both the modern Curious George and classic style in dtv movies.