Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I must say I absolutely LOVED this movie! The music, the characters, the story line, the villains! There's very little I can say that bugged me. I'll go into detail in the following paragraphs but right now all I can say is WOW! The Muppets are back! I mean, really back. For years, we've been waiting for the Muppets to make a true comeback and here they have! Huge thanks to Jason Segel, Nick Stoller, and James Bobin for their hard work.

One big thing I loved about this movie are the easter eggs; the references to past movies and The Muppet Show. I laughed out loud when I saw the part with Sweetums at Mad Man Mooney's. That was brilliant. Oh, and Bobo and Uncle Deadly singing "Together Again". That was great. I especially loved the role that The Muppet Show played in the plot. The fact that Walter used to watch it is so cool! Speaking of Walter....

I love Walter! When I look at Walter I see myself. He's a huge Muppets fan who's always wanted to meet the Muppets! Just like me! And all of us, actually. He is us. I think that's truly what Jason Segel wanted to do with this character. I hope we can see more of Walter and his awesomeness. I seriously believe Walter is the most adorable Muppet I've seen. I just want to give him a hug for bring ing the gang back together.

I love the characters of this movie. This was definitely a Muppet movie, no doubt about it. I felt like Gary and Mary's backstory was a nice add-in and didn't take away from the movie at all. The opening with Gary, Mary and Walter really was a nice lead-in to the rest of the story. I felt like most of the characters had good screen time (though I would've liked to have seen more Scooter). I liked how they brought back some of the older, more obscure character (Link Hogthrob; Wayne and Wanda). One thing I really didn't like was the fact that Pepe only got like 2 minutes in the movie. I mean, seriously give him more than that. I understand the old-school aspects Segel was going for but Pepe still would have been good for parts of this movie.

I loved the songs. They really worked well for this film and sounded really Muppety. I know many people don't like the opening song but I loved it. Now, I've got "Life's a Happy Song" stuck in my head all day and I'm enjoying it. "Pictures in My Head" was fabulous and is one of my favorite songs in the whole movie. I especially liked the way it played out on screen with the pictures coming to life. absolutely incredible. For the Moopets version of "Rainbow Connection", I almost gasped out loud. How dare they blaspheme the beloved words of Kermit the Frog! Anyways, I actually really did think it was funny. "Me Party" and "Let's Talk about Me" are the only two songs I really disliked. They were unnecessary and tasteless, in my opinion. I must say, "Man or Muppet" is my favorite original song for the movie. It's catchy and funny and serious all at the same time. I couldn't stop laughing after Jim Parsons showed up as a human form for Walter. Genius, in my mind. "Smells like Teen Spirit" and "Forget You" were perfect and great, in context, for the muppets. Finally, I so enjoyed "Rainbow Connection", I started singing along silently in my seat.

The cameos were well done for the most part. There were some that stood out better than others, but I enjoyed them all. I also loved how seamlessly they were able to mix in the parody trailer scenes that many of us didnt' know were going to be in there. Overall, I just loved this movie and I sure hope it leads to muppets in the future and more fans. It was fantastic and I can't wait for muppet Domination to take over the world! :smile: :jim:

Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone is wrong because we all experience things differently, but here is my counter argument to other people's complaints and minor gripes. PS, please NEVER review a movie after having a horrible day. Its not fair to the movie or to the people it might influence.

Its hard to be subjective when seeing a movie, and nearly impossible to when you've read original drafts of scripts, junior novel adaptations, etc. You construct the movie in your mind and once changes start to happen, there's no way to walk away completely satisfied. I worked on the film so I've seen more cuts of it than I'd care to admit, but when I sat down and watched it from top to bottom in a packed theater, all those things I "wished" it had or the things I was bummed about it not having anymore pretty much went out the window.

As a whole, it works. MAYBE it would have been better if we knew Tex's backstory, but to me, the story isn't about him. In my opinion, the fact that the Muppets stole everyone's attention from him at his own tenth birthday party (or whatever year it was) isn't THAT strong of a plot point to begin with. The fact that he's just a traditional money hungry oil baron is a stronger choice (in my opinion). I don't associate that classic stereotypical character with a jolly sense of humor anyway. The "maniacal laugh" joke works for me. Its random as **** without the backstory, but how much of the Muppet show humor is based on randomness? When Deadly points it out at the end, he could just have easily said, "You oil people CAN'T LAUGH".

Plus, why stop there? Why not question everything... Walter is an awesome whistler? We see him whistle ONE other time in the movie. It bugged me at first, but seeing it in context, I didn't care. Muppets have talents.

The Miss Piggy/Kermit flashback didn't really help move the MOVIE along either (I stress MOVIE because maybe it does help the novel, but books and movies are different animals altogether). I don't think it takes a hardcore fan to know there's a history with Kermit and Piggy. To accommodate everyone would require a MASSIVE flashback going back to The Muppet Show days. Her initial reaction makes it pretty clear there's a love interest and the quick recovery and rejection clearly lays out its a toxic relationship. The torn photograph speaks volumes and (again, in context) I didn't need to see who ripped it or why it was ripped. The point is... it was ripped. Its the easiest metaphor you can have.

Now, I won't lie and say I have NO problems with the film. The 9,999,999 actually being 99,999.99 joke kind of falls flat, in my opinion, if it was even ever intended to be a joke. I hope audiences don't spend too much time trying to figure out what just happened and miss the point, which I'm not really clear on what that point is. hahaha.... anyway.

I also am not the biggest fan of the "tacked on" ending, but mostly because at that point, I didn't even care. The Muppets have accepted the fact that the studio itself isn't what matters. All they need is each other. That fact alone helps them walk out of the theater with their heads held high. The support they receive on the other side of the door is icing on the cake. Getting the theater back or finding a NEW home would have been a great sequel. I didn't need to see the big bad oil man laugh in order to go home happy.

Maybe my very involvement with the movie makes it impossible for me to be as subjective as I hope everyone else is, but I really tried to watch the entire movie without my preconceived notions. In the end, I didn't find it to be a challenge at all. I really like the movie. I really like the nostalgia (and I'm not event as hardcore as a majority of the members here on this forum) and the self aware jokes. The plot points that are important (from a broader message standpoint) were respected and handled with the greatest of care. If a few of the smaller story points fell to the wayside just a bit to make room for that bigger message... I'm ok with that.

GO SEE THE MOVIE (again if you've already seen it.)

cahuenga

Reaction score
How was Jerry as the announcer?? has he voiced any minor character o is just the announcer?? thanks!!!!

TheMonsterAteMe

Reaction score
Last night, I was sitting at Starbucks talking to a friend. We where going from subjects of religion, philosophy, and everything in between. But one of the biggest things I was stressing to him was how excited I was to see THE MUPPETS the next morning. It has been 12 years since the last theatrical Muppet film and all three Muppet films that had come out in my life time (Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, and Muppets From Space) had been AMAZINGLY lacking in the magic that made the Muppets... well.. magical.

As I was sitting there, a friend (who's name I won't name in case they where not suppose to do this... hahahahaha) pulled in to Starbucks and gave me the most amazing opportunity. They wanted to know if I wanted to see a screening of The Muppets early! That night! In a hour.

I'm not a Pentecostal... but I could have danced with the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues in that moment.

So, I saw the movie. And then I got home. And I was in shock. And could not sleep. I finally went asleep for a few hours and woke up to go see the film again with my family.
Near the end of the film when viewing if for the second time, I noticed that my face was involuntarily smiling in a way that was dripping with joy. And I realized how perfect this movie is. And how beautiful, and funny, and touching it is.

We live in a cynical world with an entertainment industry that does not have any heart or any art left in it much. We have girls who are famous for their sex tapes who are getting married and then divorcing a few months latter. We have scripted reality TV. We have moves where Adam Sandler plays himself... and his sister.

Is there is place for The Muppets in a world of 99%ters, cynics, and Americans numbed by idiotic comedies?

Yes. Yes there is.

The Muppets have been revived. After 20 years of awful projects and falling from grace and popularity, they have been resurrected in a truer form than they where when they where at the height of their fame.

This a mostly due to the brilliance of Jason Segel, who wrote, pushed, and fought for this project.

Let's talk about Kermit for a bit, because I think he should win an Oscar for this. Steve Whitmire has brought a deep and real passion into this character that we have not seen since Jim Henson, who created Kermit (and The Muppets) and performed him until his death in 1990, has Kermit actually had nuance and depth. It's simply heart warming (for lack of a better word). I honestly could have cried with happiness when Kermit the Frog popped out of his "O" and The Muppet Show Theme began to play out. It was a transcended moment. His relationship with Miss. Piggy was real and believable for the first time... ever. It was the first time I truly cared for their relationship.

Miss Piggy finally is more than a ticked off diva, which is what she was made into these passed few years. We got too see her weaknesses, her strength, and her humanity. It was nice to see Miss Piggy in such great form.

And then there is Fozzie Bear. Almost every big scene Fozzie was in, I found myself being moved. I don't know what it was. Fozzie became one of my favorite characters of all time while watching this film. There is a scene where all the Muppets are sleeping in hammocks in the theater and Fozzie turns to Kermit and asks if it's all going to be okay. It was so so so touching. So real. You forgot you where watching bits of foam and fur in this movie due to moments like this and you begin to relate, and feel, and and hope for these characters.

We saw characters have big roles again after being all but neglected since the 1980's. Dr. Teeth, Rowlf, Scooter, Floyd..... I was so happy to see them included in such a cool way.

My only complaint, Muppet wise, is I wished Gonzo (my favorite Muppet) has been performed with more energy and had more to do. But he has been used SO heavily in the last three films (with Muppets from Space centering around him), that I have no real problem!

The movie is full of so many little nuances that only hard core followers of The Muppets would even begin to see: Jerry Nelson (a retired original Muppetter) was the announced for the Telethon. The inclusion of the original Electric Mayhem band stand. A picture of the African masks for the Harry Belafonte episode of The Muppet Show being featured on a mirror in a dressing room. And then there are The Muppets themselves. The inclusion of characters who have not been used since the 1970's was huge for me. 10 years ago, if you would have told me that Uncle Deadly would be an villains henchman, Wayne and Wanda would steal one of the biggest laughs, Thog would be reunited with the group, The Mutations would step back onto the stage, Bobby Benson would conduct his baby band, and Marvin Suggs would pound the Muppaphones... I would have told you that you where crazy. Stephen Sondheim, when talking about created art, stated that "God is in the details." The details that the films creators worked into this film are vast and beautiful and really tie this film together for me.

I got very emotional when I noticed the shutouts to the late Jim Henson through out the film. His image is on a banner during the last shot of the film before the credits start. When we hear Kermit for the first time, it's when some of the characters are watching a re-run of The Muppet Show. So, the first time we hear Kermit, it's Jim's voice. His picture is on the wall of Kermits old office. Little tributes to my hero. I can't thank them enough for that.

I adored the new characters introduced into the film.

Walter is now my second favorite Muppet. I related to him on many many levels. He was funny. He was charming. And I genially cared about his journey. There is a beautiful moment near the end of this movie when Walter gets to finally join with his hero, The Muppets. People in my audience applauded. I think that accurately describes just how well this character was written and performed. A new classic character.

The Humans (for lack of a better word) in this movie where played so well. The sincerity that Jason Segel brought to his character really showed his deep respect for these characters. Amy Adams played a character who spent a good but of the movie feeling neglected by her boyfriend. This kind of character could easily get annoying and we could easily begin to not feel for her character. But due to Amy Adams brilliance, that audience never feels a bit of resentment for her character. The perfect choice for that role. Chis Copper was amazingly evil as the antagonist, Ted Ritchman. I only wish they had fleshed out his character a bit more in order for us to truly know his motives and such.

I refuse to give away any cameo's. But one is simply brilliant. I refuse to give it away, but it is the best cameo in any Muppet film. Ever.

The songs where perfect for the tone of The Muppets and the tone of this film. Lifes a Happy Song is one of the catchiest songs ever written for a Muppet film. Pictures in my Head perfectly defines Kermits character. And I don't know one person in the theater who was not laughing watching Academy Award Winner Chris Copper rap. And how can I even start on "Man or Muppet" which is now my favorite musical moment in a Muppet film. The only original song I did not care for (and the only scene that I felt could have been cut or re-written) was the Me Party duet with Amy Adams and Miss Piggy. It dragged, I did not care for the song, and I did not like the way it was done. But it's no real problem or complaint!

And can I just say how moved I was seeing the Muppets holding hands before they walked on stage to sing Rainbow Connection? Words can't describe that feeling. Perfect movie moment.

In short, I will go out on a limb and say that I think this is the most entertaining feature film The Muppets have ever made. I could just go on and on about how brilliant and perfect this film is.

If you are a fan of The Muppets, run to see this film.
If you are a fan of peace, love, joy, humor, and film... run to see this film.

I waited my entire life for The Muppets to be restored to their former glory. And this film was worth the wait.
I would have waited 40 years for a film this special, this good, and this perfect.

Also, here is what I wore! Full tux with a Kermit tie!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I just got back from the movie. I won't go on at such great length, but instead here are a few rambling thoughts...

THE MUPPETS ARE BACK, BABY! This was a great movie to bring back characters we have known and loved for years, even when they weren't in front of our faces constantly. It continues the story for us old fans, it welcomes in new fans, it shows us the Muppet brand of humor and the signature message of optimism and friendship. It paves the way for more Muppet media. I walked out of the theater happy, and judging from the laughter I heard from both the adults and kids in the thrater, I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.

I loved the callbacks to the old movies. "Together Again," Sweetums running after the car--priceless. I also enjoyed all the tapping on the fourth wall. Fourth-wall jokes can come across as contrived and corny; these did not. There were also so many little things that made me smile, such as the photo of Henson in Kermit's office, Gonzo sleeping with the chickens in a Hefner-esque robe, Thog in front of the arched instead of coming through them, the Muppet Ninjas (Oh, if only Palisades were still making figures!) and of course the sight of so many minor characters like Bobby Benson, Behemoth, the Luncheon Counter Monster, and Baab.

There were a few flaws that stuck out in my mind. Fozzie's voice went weird in one scene in the car. Scooter claimed that he didn't go onstage, which is nonsense; he was shoehorning himself into the show from the very beginning. The Gonso puppet looked weird; I think it was the same puppet they used for the Cat Cora segments, which always looked to me as if he'd had a stroke. But, most of all, the film seemed rushed, and I got the feeling that the floor of the cutting room is littered an inch deep with scenes cut out to shorten the movie's run time.

I like how the Kermit-Piggy relationship is handled. Piggy is still the diva, and as others have said she has gone on with her life without waiting for The Frog. Her ego and her love for Kermit have to duke it out. And for once the fault appears to lie with both of them, not just the overbearing sow. (Perhaps the cutting room floor could shed more light on that in the form of DVD extras.)

I like Walter lots. He's just made for Muppet fans to identify with. I do which they'd shown him whistling earlier in the movie, just so his talent wouldn't come out of left field. Perhaps that's on the cutting room floor too. I also enjoyed Segal, but I especially liked Amy Adams/Mary. A Janet Weiss-esque woman who teaches shop, can repair a car or fix cut wiring without mussing her perfect hair, and who does the driving? And Amy is such a great performer, I could tell what she was thinking whenever she was onscreen. All the little conflicts showed up in her expressions. Major applause to her.

The ending was kind of weird, wasn't it? The way I see it, The Muppets struggled to accomplish something, and they failed, but faced up to that failure with hope and optimism and the willingness to keep at it and stay together. Then we see that even though they lost that battle, they won the war: they don't have to start from the bottom because, as Walter said, the fans haven't forgotten; the Muppets still have the fame and fanbase that they earned years ago! That hits all the right notes for me.

So, in conclusion, it wasn't perfect, but it was very, very good, and it made me feel all warm and smooshy, both for the movie itself and how it looks to be paving the way for the return of the Muppets to regular media. I loved it, it was better than Cats, I'm going to see it again and again.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
nice i love the reviews i will be going at 615 and i will have a big review when i get back:smile: