Are other puppet shows on TV like the Muppet TV shows?

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I was on YouTube and decided to take a trip down memory lane and watch some episodes of a TV show that I loved watching when I was around six or seven, The Puzzle Place.
All of the main puppeteers have Muppet connections, but as I was watching it, it made me think about other Muppet shows that I really like and it had some elements similar to those shows.
It had ethnic and cultural diversity (think Sesame Street), it had important morals like accepting each other's differences, helping others, and being proud of who you are (think Fraggle Rock) and of course, it had some silliness in it (think The Muppet Show).

What do you think?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I remember watching a children's puppet show from Germany called Hallo Spencer which ran from the late 1970s until around 2001. The puppets in that show were very Muppet-like, especially Nepomuk, an orange-brown monster who was basically an Oscar the Grouch rip-off, but looked like Animal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember watching a children's puppet show from Germany called Hallo Spencer which ran from the late 1970s until around 2001. The puppets in that show were very Muppet-like, especially Nepomuk, an orange-brown monster who was basically an Oscar the Grouch rip-off, but looked like Animal.
Yeah, we got that lame Saban dub over here... and that oddly re-edited theme song where the clay characters keep flicking their noses through the whole thing...

Really, whoever edited that was the forefather of Youtube Poop before there was a Youtube.

Xerus

Reaction score
Back in the 70's, there was this puppet series called, "Gigglesnort Hotel." About a group of crazy Muppets who live in a hotel. Here's the link to the website where you can order the DVDs.

http://www.dirtydragon.com/

Slackbot

Reaction score
Waaaay back in 1980 I remember seeing The B.B. Beagle Show. It was essentially Hanna-Barbera's Muppet Show wannabe, and it didn't get past the pilot. I don't remeeber much about, except for a snip from the theme song ("B.B. Beegle/It ought to be illegal!") and thinking it was pretty lame. Does anyone remember this?

And then there is the late great Spitting Image. What I wouldn't do for a NTSC box set, especially of the first few seasons.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
in the uk during the 1990's there was a show called sooty & co which was a yellow mute puppet bear squeaky grey dog sweep and others like panda soo and cousin scampi some jokes could not been done now eg sooty whacking the presenter with a hammer but it was funny for a kids show heres an ep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNW0Y_wwNG4

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Here's an interesting fact I forgot to point out about Kevin Clash. His puppet company, Clash Puppets, build and provided all the puppets for The Puzzle Place. Pretty cool, huh?
I wish "The Great Space Coaster" would come to DVD...what a great show! Another little known fact about that show was that Ray Stephens, who played Roy, was the policeman for Village People on their 1985 album entitled, "Sex Over the Phone".