Underrated Movies

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Powerpuff Girls the Movie: That REALLY didn't deserve the grilling it got. The problem with our animation culture is that when a TV cartoon becomes a movie people don't know what to think, and critics don't even watch the shows, and the ones that do prefer half hour intervals. Straight from a 10th anniversary DVD making of documentary, the movie was delightfully dark and like a REAL super hero movie because the nature of the merchandising branded it as a girl's show. It was a joy to watch it on the big screen. I wish CN wasn't chicken hearted and released the KND movie in theaters like they originally planned to.
Totally agree with that one. I LOVED the Powerpuff Girls movie and I would state that not only the movie but the TV show as well is fairly underratted.

Another underratted movie pick of mine would go to "Josie and the Pussycats" from 2001. I also LOVED that movie and display it PROUDLY in my DVD collection. Its a satire sort of "anti-corporate rock movie" on how corporations control music through endorsements but at the same time makes fun of itself for the excat same thing (sub message of "Josie and the Pussycats is the best movie ever" at the end). It's also funny with it's adult humor and inside jokes (Alexandra mentioning how she was in the original comic books). Plus it didn't hurt that Rachael Leigh Cook, Rosario Dawson, and Tara Reid were all looking REALLY hott in that movie, :smile:. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this movie.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I Also liked Josie and the pussycats. i wasnt as obsessed with it as my friend was though. i wish i still had it :frown:

I still have not seen the powerpuff girls movie completely. I've only seen bits and pieces of it.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Ehh... I think that was Pixar's OTHER not-so-great movie... I think mainly because the more edgy and "advanced" Antz from DreamWorks came out pretty much at the same time.
To each is own.:stick_out_tongue: I saw bits and parts of Antz and wasn't really impressed actually.

I personally loved A Bug's Life though.:wink:

Just wish they would air it on T.V. more often.

Mupp

Reaction score
I personally loved A Bug's Life though.
I love A Bug's Life too. I have heard from many sources that Antz was a rip-off of Bug's Life and it was just Katzenberg's way of back-stabbing John Lasster and Steve Jobs.

And I have to say that Cars is definitely an underrated movie.

To claim that Cars is overrated (like some claimed in the other thread) is complete bull. Becuase all we ever hear is how much people hate the movie. How in heck can a film be considered
"overrated" when all it ever gets it hate?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
And I have to say that Cars is definitely an underrated movie.

To claim that Cars is overrated (like some claimed in the other thread) is complete bull. Becuase all we ever hear is how much people hate the movie. How in heck can a film be considered
"overrated" when all it ever gets it hate?
Well speaking for myself, Cars is definitely NOT an "underrated movie" because of the fact that it's very loved and sells a ton and I mean A TON of toys, which is great. I feel Cars is a bit "overratted" because it just doesn't hold up to the rest of the Pixar films. But you see when people say "that movie is overratted" people take that to mean "they hate said movie." I'm pretty sure I've already explain this, but I'll explain it again...I DON'T HATE CARS. I still think it's a good movie overall, it's just (again in my opinion here) the weakest of the Pixar 11 so far, but again that doesn't take to it being a "bad movie." If Dreamworks made Cars, it would no doubt be one of their at least top five best and if Sony Animation made Cars, well...that would be nothing short of a modern day miracle.

I do agree that it took Disney LONG enough to do something with the Muppets, but now in my opinion, they're really cooking with the Muppets. We've got two TV specials, tons of guest appearances on other shows, AMAZING internet videos, three seasons (working on 4th) of the Muppet show on DVD, awesome comic books that are VERY true to the Muppet characters and more merchadise than ANY collector could of possibly dreamed of, that's way more Muppets we've gotten from the Henson company since 1999's Muppets From Space was a "box office flop." Oh yeah, let's also not forget their working on a new Muppet movie, even got Pixar to take a look at it. If that's not PROOF that Disney is doing some awesome stuff with the Muppets, well for a person like D'Snowth (that's not a "negative shot" on yea D'Snowth) than...frankly...NOTHING ever will be.

But again, in the end, we're all entitled to our opinions. D'Snowth mentioned he liked "the Day After Tomarrow." Speaking for myself, I never HATED a movie as much as I hated "the Day After Tomarrow."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... I might as well say I dug Osamu Tetzuka's Cleopatra movie, even though it's known in circles as one of his worst projects ever. And if you actually knew the guy's input... well, his body of work vastly outreaches the common cartoonist. And 90% of his stuff is virtually unknown here, and it's a complete shame. I swear, he's only known as "Oh, the Astroboy guy" in the US.

But getting back to the movie, I was trying to get through it as a joke, but I actually quite enjoyed it. it is VERY jarring at points. The opening uses a reverse Clutch Cargo (remember him from when I mentioned him, the guy with the live action superimposed mouth) technique in the opening... animated heads on live action bodies. Some experiments just... well... shouldn't be done. I give them credit for trying though. Not to mention the fact that the movie was released in the US as "Cleopatra, Queen of Sex", an X-rated movie that actually cut out all the important dialogue and stuff to get a shorter running time to get to the cough cough cough a lot faster. Sort of like Dragon Ball Z in this country. Only with cough cough cough instead of action scenes.

But it does have a strong, yet odd story which has unfortunate retroactive parallels towards Avatar... basically the story is about a space colony or something and they have to send several of their members on a mission back in time using virtual reality simulators (this was made in 1969 or so... maybe the 70's) so they can witness the massive conspiracy by Cleopatra to destroy various Romans who came to take over... basically getting close to them.... and the assassination of Caesar is presented as a Kabuki play.

Weirdness at its best. One day I hope to see his 1001 Arabian Nights film.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Gosh, all this talk about Pixar movies made me have the craziest dream last night. The dream was that I was reading an article online where Pixar annouced their two 2013 releases. One of them was a Toy Story spin-off movie about the Green Army Men and the other was A Bug's Life 2. Trust me, both were just as disappointing as they sound.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is really getting off topic... but for the record there WAS some buzzing that they would consider a sequel to The Incredibles if they can find a script worthy enough. They have planned and are making Cars 2 (I'm iffy on the script problems and plot they chose, but I'm probably gonna see it anyway) and Monsters Inc 2... which I just wonder what it's gonna be about myself.

And Ellen wants a Finding Nemo 2. :insatiable:

SillyRed

Reaction score
Once Upon A Forest was definitely an underrated movie. It was cute, I enjoyed it, It was also bad there wasn't much merchandise.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
To each is own.:stick_out_tongue: I saw bits and parts of Antz and wasn't really impressed actually.
That movie had some pretty mess-up nightmare fuel.

As for underrated movies, Marty and In the Heat of the Night
In this day and age, you can find endless rants from people complaining about what movies didn't deserve their Best Picture award. Sadly there are plenty of overlooked entries, particularly these two. Both showcase excellent performances from Ernest Borgnine and Sidney Poitier, respectfully, and beautifully simple story lines that accomplished a lot more than can be said for most dramas.