The Muppets have a table read for the new "Greatest" Muppet movie

Mupp

Reaction score
Well... Elmo in Grouchland was the bi-product of that annoying late 90's push in children's television to make everything pretend interactive... somewhere down the line they clearly wanted it to be a commercial for Elmo's World.

Fourth Wall, if done right (in the cases of the first three movies where they're self aware they're in a movie) could work.
Yes, that was one of the bad things with Elmo in Grouchland. They basically turned much of the film into an episode of Blues Clues.

For me, Follow that Bird was like, Sesame Street meets the real world.
The Grouchland film was Sesame Street meets more fantasy. I'm still disappointed that none of the movie was filmed outside.

And yes, breaking the fourth wall could definitely work if done right. The Muppets are no stranger to it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, that was one of the bad things with Elmo in Grouchland. They basically turned much of the film into an episode of Blues Clues.
More accurately, it WAS Elmo's World. The film's "interactivity" was the worst thing about it, and not adding that awkwardness for marketing sake would have made the movie a hundred times better. I like it to an extent, but it really falls flat for being a toy commercial for Elmo. And I think that's the reason it bombed.

Mupp

Reaction score
More accurately, it WAS Elmo's World. The film's "interactivity" was the worst thing about it, and not adding that awkwardness for marketing sake would have made the movie a hundred times better. I like it to an extent, but it really falls flat for being a toy commercial for Elmo. And I think that's the reason it bombed.
That true.
Now, I realize that they were trying to engage young kids but the interactivity really killed the film.

They really tried too hard to keep kids happy. I wish that Ernie and Bert were part of the action, and not just the narrators.
Heck, to make Elmo's journey into Grouchland less scary, they made the portal colorful, and added ADR of Elmo laughing and having fun in it. And it that weren't enough, they had to have Ernie and Bert stop the film to review what was happening to him!

And yet, apparently some children still got upset because Elmo was upset at some points in the film.

Yes, there are a few things I do like about the film. but overall, pretty lackluster....

Next time, lets not have the Sesame Street gang get stuck in jail for half the film!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
This is a little bit off subject but I have a question. Since they had a table reading does that mean they've already finished casting it? Cuz I thought I read somewhere that they were going to have auditions in August. Did I read something wrong or was the table reading just the principle characters?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The film's "interactivity" was the worst thing about it, and not adding that awkwardness for marketing sake would have made the movie a hundred times better
Yeah, there's a fine line between breaking the fourth wall like in TMM and GMC and using said "interactivity" such as in that movie. :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
This is a little bit off subject but I have a question. Since they had a table reading does that mean they've already finished casting it? Cuz I thought I read somewhere that they were going to have auditions in August. Did I read something wrong or was the table reading just the principle characters?
I don't believe so. It was likely read with the main Muppet cast, Jason Segel, and likely James Bobin and Nick Stoller would have filled in for the uncast parts. I've heard of table reads going like that. The way his comment sounded, it seemed like Charles Grodin turned down his part in the film very recently, likely doing so AFTER the table read happened. It may just be that this was to get a feel for how things would play out so that the writers could make any needed adjustments. Mind you, this is all speculation, but it doesn't seem the film is fully cast. Especially since no announcement has been made for the female lead (still hopin' on Amy Adams).

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Yes, in retrospect it would have been a better idea to leave Gonzo as a "whatever" and not have him really be an alien. Heck, even The Muppets Studio have let that revelation fall by the wayside. I would have also loved to hear Gonzo's new version of "I'm going to go back there Someday
At an event with Dave Goelz and Gonzo, Gonzo said he ran into Frank Oz after he filmed MFS. And Frank told him, "That was just a movie. We still don't know who you are." Anyway, I'm excited that the movie's actually happening!

Mupp

Reaction score
At an event with Dave Goelz and Gonzo, Gonzo said he ran into Frank Oz after he filmed MFS. And Frank told him, "That was just a movie. We still don't know who you are." Anyway, I'm excited that the movie's actually happening!
Oh yeah! I remember seeing that on youtube!

Rusty

Reaction score
I thought Muppets From Space was good for a laugh, but I didn't thing it really added much to Gonzo's character. I actualy thought it explained away some of the mistry and magic. That's what the magic is... it's the mystery. But I sill to love the movie as a standalone.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yeah, MFS is not my favorite. I think it just tried to be too hip.