Jason Segel to play the lead in new movie

Who is your favorite human lead in a Muppet movie?

• Charles Durning as Doc Hopper (The Muppet Movie)

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Charles Grodin as Nicky Holiday (The Great Muppet Caper)

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Juliana Donald as Jenny (The Muppets Take Manhattan)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge (The Muppet Christmas Carol)

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Tim Curry as Long John Silver (Muppet Treasure Island)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Jeffrey Tambor as K. Edgar Singer (Muppets From Space)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Sweet! Zach was on my list of "who should have a cameo" actors that I wrote up. I had a feeling he'd be in it. Im sure a lot of the familar Segal/Stoller and Apatow crew will be in it too.
I really hope so. Ever since seeing Seth Rogen as Rowlf on SNL, I've been dying to see him interact with the muppets for reals.
:sympathy:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting though that Jenny wasn't a villain or antagonist like the others? And she’s also currently last in our "favorite human" poll. Hmmm...
I just fell in love with her when first laid eyes on her. I just loved her acting and wouldn't mind seeing her back in another Muppet film. Is she still around?

Edit: I sixth that YAY!

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I just fell in love with her when first laid eyes on her. I just loved her acting and wouldn't mind seeing her back in another Muppet film. Is she still around?

Edit: I sixth that YAY!
Oh, she's around! Just this year The Muppet Mindset had an interview with her!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
That's my only concern with the picture. And I'm glad you brought the Looney Tunes movies up, because I'd hate to see anyone do something like that again. Not that I didn't like the parts of the movie that worked, but I want focus on the characters as well. BIA basically focused on Jenna Elfman and Brendan Frasier, and I think that diluted the emotional direction they wanted to go with Daffy Duck... of course, had they used some of the original stuff (like the opening that CLEARLY made light of WB's problems getting Batman's movie franchise back on track) it would have been a FAR better film.
At least in BIA they were playing second fiddle to people who could actually ACT! Michael Jordan is many things, but not an actor.

Back to the matter of the thread:

I seventh that, YAY!

I might not have seen ANYTHING that Jason Segal was involved in, but, all things considered, I remain optimistic that this will be good.

Then again, that's the same optimisim I used to try and convice myself that MFS and MWOO were 'future classic' material.

:embarrassed: *Slinks off to hide in the corner* :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then again, that's the same optimisim I used to try and convice myself that MFS and MWOO were 'future classic' material.
I'd be a lot more optimistic about this one. MFS was a good movie that was ruined by a director who's vision was that he didn't have vision and I was against the idea of the Muppets doing another classic story anyway. Jason wants to see what we want to see, and doesn't want the things we don't want to see in a Muppet Movie. Even if the film did focus on the human stars, I have a lot more faith in the team that they'd manage to be the first to get it done right.

Mupp

Reaction score
I'd be a lot more optimistic about this one. MFS was a good movie that was ruined by a director who's vision was that he didn't have vision
Agreed.

To be honest, it wasen't until a few years ago that I fully learned what true potential that MFS could of had by searching online. But even when I saw it back in 1999, though it did have its moments, I always knew that it was kind of bland.

Its a real shame, MFS could have been so much better! :cry:

Oh well, I guess its best to keep moving forward.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's clearly not going to happen here. The writers and director seem to have the same style of humor, and they're both working together. A GOOD movie has a symbiotic relationship with the writer and director. A bad one has the writer stick up a picture of the director on a dart board.

beaker

Reaction score
That's clearly not going to happen here. The writers and director seem to have the same style of humor, and they're both working together. A GOOD movie has a symbiotic relationship with the writer and director. A bad one has the writer stick up a picture of the director on a dart board.
Your thoughts lately on all this remind me of something I proposed years ago on here: I had two ideas for Muppet films. One in which the Muppet gang was working in a dot com/tech company(which I guess now would be a facebook or google type place) and the opening scene would be like the madcap chaos in the first scenes of MFS. The other idea was a typical New York rom-com, played totally straight...but happening to have Pepe in it.

So I get giddy at the idea of sitting down in a theater, rolling my eyes at seeing yet another Vince Vaughn/Favreau/Jennifer Aniston/Seth Rogen/Apatow type comedy...but a minute into it, we see the person Vince Vaughn or Seth Rogen or Vince Vaughn is chewing out is Fozzie Bear. Now that'd be a sweet trailer,
where Nick Segal is having this argument in an apartment...and you think its going to be a girl or a guy friend he's talking to, and it happens to be a Muppet. And the audience has a "holy smokes, this is the new muppet movie!" moment.

As in, they treat it like they would a tentpole comedy film, and not the usual sacharine Disney family release.