Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Daffney

Reaction score
A number of older non-Elmo releases are still in print (Learning About Letters, Learning About Numbers, Sleepytime Songs and Stories, Sing-Along, etc.), and in the past two years there actually have been quite a few releases that don't have Elmo on the cover.

I have noticed that both The Best of Ernie and Bert and Getting Ready for School end with characters referring to the production as a tape. I wonder if that's why those two haven't been released on DVD (I'm pretty sure The Best of Ernie and Bert was still in print on VHS for awhile after they started releasing Sesame Street titles on DVD).
If I recall, Monster Hits! had Herry refering to the show as a tape and it's still on DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, Muppet Wiki has posted a slightly different cover for "Best of Sesame Street Spoofs" (and apparently took out the old one). It no longer has that banner at the bottom listing some of the included segments (though it still has that jagged outline mentioning the "Smells Like a Monster" viral video), and the set is no longer referred to as "Vols. 1 and 2".

Can anybody identify what that still at the bottom left corner, underneath the Alistair Cookie images, is from? It looks like it could be some sort of studio, but I can't identify it. I've watched some clips and looked at Muppet Wiki images for what it could be, but I can't figure it out (I know, I have a month left before it comes out).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next DVD after The Best of Sesame Street Spoofs will be Learning Letters with Elmo, which will include at least two street stories. Hmm, I've noticed that when DVDs contain only two street stories (and we don't exactly know yet whether it'll be just two) they usually have linking footage.

Here's the info at Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Learning_Letters_with_Elmo

Here's hoping this will have a good balance of new and classic segments, though with it following the Sesame Street Spoofs DVD I'm almost willing to forgive it if it doesn't.

EDIT: The cover seems to include representation of the two street stories announced, and I've noticed it also depicts Cookie Monster holding a cookie with the letter A on it. This leads me to assume it'll have The Letter of the Day: A. But I could be wrong.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, after reading Muppet Wiki I recently learned of a few other upcoming releases (though they aren't really "new releases"). In July there'll be Sesame Street TV Favorites, which I've seen in stores at Wal-Mart and are single-disc releases of full-hour episodes (the DVDs are titled "Big Bird's Wish" and "The Best Pet in the World"). And there'll also be a second "Essentials" collection, I think it's titled "Learning", which will include All-Star Alphabet, Learning About Numbers, and Guess That Shape and Color.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the Elmo's World "People in Your Neighborhood" DVD was released. Did anybody get it and see if it indeed has any bonus "People in Your Neighborhood" segments?

IF the upcoming "Learning Letters with Elmo" has ANY bonus clips, I'd like it to have The Letter of the Day Pageant if it can only have one bonus clip (that one's a bit long for a classic clip, and if the letters are represented in alphabetical order then the winner wouldn't be much of a surprise). But I'd also like for it to have a bonus selection of classic letter segments, if for any reason classic clips can't be part of the main program (considering C is for Cookie Monster and Sily Storytime had a good balance of new and old I'd be surprised), I'd like for it to have a Typewriter segment (my choices would be I-Ink or O-Owl, since those are the only ones without images on Muppet Wiki), an AlphaQuest segment (preferably not the R segment, since that's the only one on DVD), an Alphabet Chat segment, a Harvey Kneeslapper segment, and some rare segment from one of the first three seasons (maybe one of Jim Henson's claymation segments, or The Sound of the Letter A).

Somehow I have a feeling that Learning Letters with Elmo won't include segments for every letter. It's 50 minutes long, but will include two street stories (taking up 20-30 minutes altogether). There very well could be time to cram in segments for every letter (many letter segments are very short), but I still doubt it. Learning About Letters and Do the Alphabet didn't have segments about every letter, either.

Here's a small selection of what I think would be good for the DVD, besides the two confirmed street stories and the bonus segments I suggested:
  • The Letter of the Day: A (alright, so Muppet Wiki confirms this will be included)
  • Harvey Kneeslapper: B
  • Super K Cereal (but only if it's not on The Best of Sesame Street Spoofs)
  • M Stores
  • Animated Cookie Monster sings about U (I'll be surprised if this doesn't have any of the Sesame English letter segments)
  • Mystery Guest
It would be great if it were to include a Kermit segment about letters, but he has/will be in quite a few Sesame Street DVDs this year (though two are just cameo appearances), so I'll forgive Sesame Workshop if he's excluded from this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the Elmo's World "People in Your Neighborhood" DVD was released. Did anybody get it and see if it indeed has any bonus "People in Your Neighborhood" segments?
Well, I read at Muppet Wiki that the DVD includes the Ben Stiller version. I wonder why Bob McGrath and Sonia Manzano were listed at the WB studio store.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They could've played something during the credits.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I read at Muppet Wiki that the DVD includes the Ben Stiller version. I wonder why Bob McGrath and Sonia Manzano were listed at the WB studio store.
Well I finally saw a copy in person and read the back. I didn't pick it up, but it said on the packaging that it contains "two bonus classic versions of The People in Your Neighborhood" in addition to the Ben Stiller version. I think I'll wait until I know which classic versions are on there before picking up a copy (I'll definately buy if it contains the original with the fireman and postman). Of course considering that most Sesame Street DVDs released since the 40th anniversary have included content from the 40th anniversary DVD it won't surprise me if the elevador operator and pharmicist version were included.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the DVD release after Learning Letters with Elmo will be "Elmo's Music Magic", which will contain the street story from episode 4220 as well as musical segments, including the first-ever DVD release of "What I Am", the third release of "1234", and the second release of "Outdoors" (now when it comes to release numbers, I'm just assumming "Best of Sesame Street Spoofs" won't have "1234" or "Outdoors").

I hope this has at least some classic song clips (I'm sure we all are), even if it's just as far back as the mid-1980s. As far as new material goes, I hope it has "I Wonder" and maybe the new versions of "Pinball Number Count" and "Ladybugs Picnic". If it has any classic songs I just hope it's not any of the classics that have been released many times in the past.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The description says "and favorite Sesame Street songs", so there may be more. I would like them to put "I Wonder" on there though!