Muppet King Arthur

Aaron Sparrow

Reaction score
We're really happy with the final product; Paul and Patrick wrote some great stuff, and the art really sells each gag. James knocked it out of the park on his first swing.

Hope you guys all grab a copy this Wednesday! (And yes, the accelerated release date is to get the book back on schedule!)

-A

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tough Pigs has a five-page preview for issue 2.

http://www.toughpigs.com/muppet-king-arthur-2-preview/
It looks fun. I still prefer the Alvarez style much more. It was kind of a shock. I thought he had the first two issues. The lower jaw/mouths for these newly drawn Muppets look awkward to me (almost like it doesn't match the rest of the design). I guess it's good to see Muppets in different styles and it's even better not seeing the vomiting frogs of Robin Hood. Still rather Muppety here.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Getting started here, so far so good I love the art style in the first issue!
It is an odd thing to switch artists so soon though, does this happen often at boom?
I mean I don't mind it's just kind of shocking, the only other series I read that has done that very often is ninja turtles but this is not anywhere as bad as that gets lol

Oh and I don't think I saw anyone else mention this but i loved the la choy dragon on kermits shield! haha

Drtooth

Reaction score
Getting started here, so far so good I love the art style in the first issue!
It is an odd thing to switch artists so soon though, does this happen often at boom?
I mean I don't mind it's just kind of shocking, the only other series I read that has done that very often is ninja turtles but this is not anywhere as bad as that gets lol

My guess is that it's got to be an availability thing or something to that extent. So far, the only time we had a different artist pop in on another series is the Pigs in Space one shot. And somehow, since Roger Focused mostly on the writing, it gave it a slightly different feel, rather than having him do BOTH the artwork and the writing. Someone who works there (and we have a few of them here) would probably have a more accurate slant on things.

Aaron Sparrow

Reaction score
We don't like to switch artists, but there were a few scheduling and production snafus on our end that necessitated the switch to get back on schedule; the deadlines would have killed Dave, and we want to keep him alive for future projects. :big_grin:

I think James came in and stepped up beautifully.

-A

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Actually, I like the fact that artists get switched on rare occasion. It just means you guys get to showcase more great Muppet artists. Heck, I'd almost want to see every issue drawn by someone else.

I really do dig James's style here. Somehow it seems to be the most like a traditional style of a comic book out of all the artists. Only slight comment is that it looks like it took him a couple panels to get Fozzie and Kermit to really sing (once he does, He DOES), but other than that, another great Muppet artist. Really like how he handled Kermit's Armor with those black refractions... it gives it a real stark graphic quality.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It still makes me laugh regarding Dave's cover, where Gonzo is nearly horizontal. If that doesn't give off Wile E. Coyote vibes, I don't know what does. *reads the interview* Oh, so he does do Looney Tunes work. I do remember telling him once that he totally reminds me of Chuck Jones, Looney Tunes God, LOL.

Drtooth

Reaction score
His work really reminds me both of Looney Tunes (which he is ALSO amazing at... those guys are harder to draw than they look) and of Brett Koth, who worked with Jim Davis on U.S. Acres and Mr. Potatohead. Dave's stuff has the same sort of fluid movement as The U.S. Acres Kid's books.

Not to overshadow James either. I really enjoyed his artwork in the second issue, and I'm LOVING his covers for Snow White. Really like how he draws the Electric Mayhem.