Best place to get Puppets for a High School Theatre Group

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
My friend has just started teaching drama at a local private school and has been approached by the Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber is giving out small grants for schools this year and my friend wants to add puppetry to her class curriculum. The grant is just around $500-$1000 dollars. She is looking to buy a stage and also some ministry style puppets to start out with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who would be the best people to start with for quotes? I know it isn't a lot of $ at the moment , but I think it is possible to get more additional funds as well.

I did find Ministry Puppets on ebay. Any opinions on them?

Thanks

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always find such puppets in large Christian book stores, and these are usually back in the children's/home school supplies section, though I don't usually pay attention to the price of them, because personally, I find them to be relatively cheapely made, and they're not very flexible.

These usually come in two different sizes - in a normal Muppet-like puppet size, or in little kiddie hand puppet sizes.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I would honestly go with One Way Street if you must (www.onewaystreet.com)

Even though he does custom-built puppets, Russ Walko's puppets are always very cheap if you want a puppet based on his pre-existing designs (www.russwalko.com)

If I were in charge of the course, I'd go with those rather than ministry-style puppets, I'd think it would make it more of a learning experience that way.

Jinx

Reaction score
Another thing to consider might be to make puppet building a part of the curriculum. Using something like The Foam Book and/or video, or some of the fine products from Project Puppet the students could first craft their puppets, then learn to manipulate them.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
Even though he does custom-built puppets, Russ Walko's puppets are always very cheap if you want a puppet based on his pre-existing designs (www.russwalko.com)
I own one of Russ Walko's Puppet's. He does great work. However it cost me close too $300 dollars. Does he do base puppet?

Thanks for the info guys and gals!

puppetmancan

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm in Tulsa, OK. I'm sure i could help them out. Send me a massage. You can check out my website, www.puppetmancan.com. I have many different price levels for puppets. Would like to help out future puppeteers.:wisdom:

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm in Tulsa, OK. I'm sure i could help them out. Send me a massage. You can check out my website, www.puppetmancan.com. I have many different price levels for puppets. Would like to help out future puppeteers.:wisdom:
Well once you get done with my current project your working on, I will be sure to pass it on ;-)

I have mentioned you to her actually.

B

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I own one of Russ Walko's Puppet's. He does great work. However it cost me close too $300 dollars. Does he do base puppet?

Really? I only paid 150 for his otter/weasel and was offering only 175 to 200 for some of his pre-existing designs. He must be able to do a base puppet though.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score

you arnt complaing about paying 300 for a custom hand made puppet are you? Count your self lucky he is willing to do such quality work for so little., I have seen his work, he is seriously undercharging.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sadly, one thing you have to keep in mind is that puppetry is NOT an in-expensive art form.

Heck, Sid and Marty Krofft at one point were THREE MILLION dollars over budget working on H.R. Pufnstuf.