Miss Piggy wasn't very mean to Kermit in the 1980s

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed that during most of the 1980s, Miss Piggy didn't karate chop or get mad at Kermit very much? I wonder if there were plans to soften her or something. But it seems that she eventually did go back to karate chopping him in the 1990s, in Kokomo, Muppet Treasure Island, and elsewhere (though never on Muppets Tonight).

In fact, most of the Muppet productions I saw before I was in the fourth grade were ones where Miss Piggy didn't karate chop Kermit, or get very angry with him. Stuff like the movies, a handful of compiilation videos (which didn't have Piggy in the linking footage, and come to think of it, most of the clips in the ones I saw didn't even have them together), A Muppet Family Christmas, The Muppets at Walt Disney World, Muppet Vision 3D, and Muppet Babies.

So I was surprised when I first saw the Kokomo music video and saw her both getting mad at Kermit and karate chopping him (I didn't realise it was over her jealousy of Kemrit singing with two hula girls). And it wasn't until the next time I saw The Muppets Take Manhattan that I noticed her getting angry over Kermit and Jenny. I kept thinking, "this is how she acted in Kokomo". And for soem reason it took me awhile to notice that Piggy karate choped Kermit out of his amnesia. I kept wodnerign why Kermit was flying across the room at that point. I don't know if the camera angles weren't good enough for me to notice, or if my attention span was really small, or if the TV broadcasts had edited Piggy's karate chop.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Yes I've noticed that too.
Miss Piggy was the meanest to Kermit throughout the first four seasons of The Muppet Show.Mainly because she was both possesive and jealous of him.In season five there was an episode where Kermit fell in love with guest star Linda Ronstadt,and a jealous Miss Piggy locked him in a trunk.Two episodes later,when Loretta Swit guest starred,Kermit blew sky high when Miss Piggy published a secret marriage story in Tongue Magazine.He got so angry that he fired her.For once he got the best of her.But Loretta Swit managed to patch things up between the two of them.
And ever since that episode,Miss Piggy has mellowed out and been less agressive with Kermit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, going by production order, the Linda Ronstadt episode came long after the Loretta Switt episode.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
You're right.In fact,Loretta Swit was season five's second episode.Linda Ronstadt was the second last episode of that season.
But for some reason,all episodes of each season were first aired in a totally different order,and remain in much the same order in syndication.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well on The Muppet Show the characters were all kinda snippy and competitive with each other. They were a family, but they got on each other's nerves very easily. In the movies and specials they were often more toned down to be sweet and chummy with each other.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well on The Muppet Show the characters were all kinda snippy and competitive with each other. They were a family, but they got on each other's nerves very easily. In the movies and specials they were often more toned down to be sweet and chummy with each other.
Yeah, I had sort of noticed that starting with The Muppet Movie that kermit seemed to be less annoyed with the others.