I met Dave Goelz Saturday

alorindanya

Reaction score
Jim definately surrounded himself with amazing people, and Dave Goelz was one of them.

I happen to work at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Dave and other guy (sorry, I totally didn't know who he was) did about an hour presentation of some of the behind the scenes stuff and history, etc. It was an amazing presentation and I saw a lot of footage I had never seen before. Afterwards, I went up to a leader and asked if I could get Dave to sign a book, she told me to wait one moment, but while I waited, 8 other people with books to sign and cameras swarmed around Dave; 4 of them got what they wanted, the rest AND me were sent away. I was sad because I could have been the first person to swarm Dave, but NO, I asked permission first. I was disappointed, but I didn't try to push my luck. Plus, I had to get back to work (thankfully I had been allowed to go on the clock).

At the end of my shift I always use my spare time to walk the park, and so I was walking in the Streets of America and here I see Dave Goelz and a young girl around 20 (probably a daughter or granddaughter, he is 63) and I go up to him [since he was not being attended by any Cast Members] and told him thank you for this morning and said I was disappointed that they didn't allow for autographs in the end and he said "Well, here, do you have something for me to write on?" In my pocket I had the ticket from the event where he spoke this morning and I gave it to him, so he wrote on it "To Laura from the Great Gonzo and Dave Goelz." And while he was writing that I asked him if he was good friends with Steve Whitmere because Gonzo and Rizzo have such great chemistry. He offered to give me his Disney Main Gate admittion pass since it had expired and I told him that he should keep it as his own souvineer [but now thinking back at it, I should have taken it because it had his name on it and everything]. Anyway, so to not seem like a crazed fan girl, I told him thank you and to have a great day. It took all my will power not to go skipping away in joy.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Thats cool. I always like hearing stories like this. Thanks for sharing with us.

ploobis

Reaction score
Jim definately surrounded himself with amazing people, and Dave Goelz was one of them.

I happen to work at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Dave and other guy (sorry, I totally didn't know who he was) did about an hour presentation of some of the behind the scenes stuff and history, etc. It was an amazing presentation and I saw a lot of footage I had never seen before. Afterwards, I went up to a leader and asked if I could get Dave to sign a book, she told me to wait one moment, but while I waited, 8 other people with books to sign and cameras swarmed around Dave; 4 of them got what they wanted, the rest AND me were sent away. I was sad because I could have been the first person to swarm Dave, but NO, I asked permission first. I was disappointed, but I didn't try to push my luck. Plus, I had to get back to work (thankfully I had been allowed to go on the clock).

At the end of my shift I always use my spare time to walk the park, and so I was walking in the Streets of America and here I see Dave Goelz and a young girl around 20 (probably a daughter or granddaughter, he is 63) and I go up to him [since he was not being attended by any Cast Members] and told him thank you for this morning and said I was disappointed that they didn't allow for autographs in the end and he said "Well, here, do you have something for me to write on?" In my pocket I had the ticket from the event where he spoke this morning and I gave it to him, so he wrote on it "To Laura from the Great Gonzo and Dave Goelz." And while he was writing that I asked him if he was good friends with Steve Whitmere because Gonzo and Rizzo have such great chemistry. He offered to give me his Disney Main Gate admittion pass since it had expired and I told him that he should keep it as his own souvineer [but now thinking back at it, I should have taken it because it had his name on it and everything]. Anyway, so to not seem like a crazed fan girl, I told him thank you and to have a great day. It took all my will power not to go skipping away in joy.

Was this at Disney Hollywood Studios from Walt Disney World or Disneyland?

MelissaY1

Reaction score

The guy who was with him during the presentation is Muppet writer/archivist Craig Shemin. He's been moderating a lot of the recent Henson events and he's a long time writer for the Muppets on various projects. He is married to puppeteer Stephanie D'Abruzzo.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, fantastic! How awesome! What was his response to your question about him and Steve?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would love to meet a Muppeter! I could use my friendship with someone to help with that, but thats not the kind of friendship we have. I'm his friend because of him, not beacuse of what he does or who he is.

DollyKim

Reaction score
Neat :smile: They're such wonderful people. I'll be he was delighted that someone recognized him away from all the madness.