SSL- "Where's the Birdie?" Question

SSLFan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this show? Did it even exsist? It says on Muppet Wiki it came out in 1992, but no other info is given. I always wondered if Jim Henson did Ernie in this show, even though he had died two years earlier, and Steve Whitmire didn't start performing Ernie until 1993(at least on the show i think). So has anyone seen this show or know what it's about?:coy:

AAO

Reaction score
I think Steve was Ernie by that time perhaps... But I too have seen the title of this show without any information and have questioned it... but no on seems to know! I thought it was possibly, because of what people have said, it was the show that's kinda like the movie "Follow that Bird".. Big Bird joins the circus but something happens where he's trapped there and the others must rescue him.. ? I'm not quite sure. I know in SSL "Let's Be Friends" they have a circus and Snuffy walks the tight rope... but other than that i'm not sure..

StarrFilter

Reaction score
LOL! Hey guys. Whenever you have a SSL question, I'm your man. I used to work for the company and I was a really big fan growing up and I still am :smile: Where's the Birdie was a European international tour. It was pretty much the same as Missing Bird Mystery with two added songs and a couple new characters, like Elmo, of course. And yes, it was still Jim's voice for Ernie.
I have all of the show programs of every Sesame Street Live show there ever was back at my home in St. Louis, including Where's the Birdie. I should really look into putting up a website for my fellow SSL fans, with scans of each program and clips of songs and video clips, fun facts, etc...

zns

Reaction score
That'd be cool StarrFilter. I am dying to get more in for on the folloowing shows:

-"The Case of the Missy Rara Avis"
-"Big Bird's Super Spectacular Totally Amateur Show"
-"Sesame Jamboree"

I definately want to see photos and video clips from those performances if that is possible. Maybe even the audio recordings if they still exist somewhere.

StarrFilter

Reaction score
yup, i have all those programs. no video or audio recordings though :frown:

case of the missing rara avis was sort of a hidden title for the first ever ssl show. when it was remounted it was given a more catchy, commercial friendly title "missing bird mystery" and they added prairie dawn. when they took it overseas it was called "where's the birdie" and they added elmo and the birdland jump song.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would love to see all your programs and stuff from all those. I have the first two programs and a few others but can't think of their names. I never did get to see any of the 80's SSL because either they didn't come to a town near by or my parents were just to busy to take me or my sister to one but i have got t see some of the newer ones. The first one i've seen so far is "1-2-3 Imagine!" which was pretty cool. I'm taking my necies again (two youngest ones) and were going to see "Elmo Makes Music." Can't wait till we go to see it.

SSLFan

Reaction score
LOL! Hey guys. Whenever you have a SSL question, I'm your man. I used to work for the company and I was a really big fan growing up and I still am :smile: Where's the Birdie was a European international tour. It was pretty much the same as Missing Bird Mystery with two added songs and a couple new characters, like Elmo, of course. And yes, it was still Jim's voice for Ernie.
I have all of the show programs of every Sesame Street Live show there ever was back at my home in St. Louis, including Where's the Birdie. I should really look into putting up a website for my fellow SSL fans, with scans of each program and clips of songs and video clips, fun facts, etc...
Thanks for clearing that up Starrfilter.:wink: And it would be awsome if you would scan your programs! I still hate I threw mine away!lol. But anyway thanks. So this would mean that Steve Whitmire's first performance of Ernie would be When I Grow Up from 1993 right?

zns

Reaction score
yup, i have all those programs. no video or audio recordings though :frown:

case of the missing rara avis was sort of a hidden title for the first ever ssl show. when it was remounted it was given a more catchy, commercial friendly title "missing bird mystery" and they added prairie dawn. when they took it overseas it was called "where's the birdie" and they added elmo and the birdland jump song.
Since you have the program from "Big Bird's Super Spectacular Totally Amateur Show", could you please post the pictures from the program online? I am dying to see the stuff from that show. Also I think that the University of Maryland has some of the original scripts tio those early SSL shows in the CTW archives. Somebody should really check those out and find out what happened there. Let's face, I'm a 100% old school fan. :insatiable::super:

StarrFilter

Reaction score
i actually think sleeping birdie was steve's first show as ernie.