Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4182: Hurry Up, You're Running Out of Time!
Airdate: October 29, 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors:
Word on the Street: Distract.
Street Story.
Why does this episode remind me of the one with David Letterguy?
Guy Smiley! In a street story no less!
Denny the Distractor, Gilbert Goddfried, double yaey.
Telly: "I'll never never never get it." Almost a Don Music reference too.
Song: I Try.
Celebrity Moment: Megan Mullaly explains "distract", gets distracted by a pig on a pogo stick, opera singing broccoli, and tap-dancing chicken.
Unknown Segment, sort of has the melody tune of "Putting On The Ritz".
Segment: Kids saying the alphabet, which one is this?
Letter of the Day: Prairie hopes to "distract" Cookie Monster with cookies so she can talk about the letter Z.
Animation: Zelda in the Z Zone.
Segment: This is the Letter Z.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Cooking School.
Healthy Segment: Carolyn and Christopher have different snacks.
Number of the Day: A jumping number 18 comes when summoned by the Count's Counting Organ.
Segment: People count up to 18, what was the feature of this segment?
Song: 18 Sandwiches for Lunch.
Muppets: Mr. Johnson goes to Charlie's and gets waited on by Grover and Piño as dueling waiters.
Muppets: Song: Food by an off-screen Cookie Monster.
Elmo's World: Teeth.
Ending: Abby reads to Marco from her Real People Tales, gets cut off after Leela announces the sponsors.

Not sure how others will feel as to the insertion of sponsor segments from last year into an episode from this year when this year's sponsor segments were being more tied into the street stories giving them an old school SST feeling.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Guy Smiley is BACK, yo! Anyone else think this sort of game show really could have materialized last year during the writer's strike? Reality is blurring the lines of satire... it's sad, really. Somehow, it would have been funnier if Telly turned down a better prize than a trip to the beach.

But yes... yes! Gilbert Gottfried (I never get his name spelled right) being annoying and weird, a perfect role, or type casting?

Not too much else to say, except I almost missed it. It seems they went from every other day with new episodes to 2 new episodes in a row after 2 reruns...

Old segment or not, It was great to see that Waiter Grover segment. And was that Dave Golez as Pino? He sounded a little like Gonzo with a fake Italian accent... and he actually did look a bit like Boober in monster form.

And was that thing about the Z Zone new? I don't remember that one at all. Just like the B's in a bus. I did hate seeing the "This is the letter Z" thing where it changes into different fonts again. They really need to retire some of the weaker stuff from the 90's.

And I was disappointed we got reruns of the letter, number, and closing segments. And the pipe organ again... much as I love the Count, I was never wild about that being used for 3 seasons after... I also could have cared less about that stuff about the kids eating bananas...

And As much as I like the Murray segments, it's painfully obvious it should have been in every other episode. They seem to only have made half as many episodes as they should have.

edit... Oh, and Count. The unknown 18 segment you listed was someone painting panels in pieces to make a slide puzzle that revealed the number 18.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Just when I think I've seen the best episode of the season, something like this comes along. Guy Smiley! Dave Goelz! Elmo's World: Teeth! I haven't seen it yet, and this is already becoming one of my favorites.

I love that SS is starting to use segments that haven't aired in a while again, whether or not they're not considered "classics". (The last time the "Z Zone" animation was used was sometime before season 34, and today's EW episode hasn't resurfaced since season 33!) :batty:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Other then the Street Story witch was the highlight of todays episode, today's episode was nothing to write about. Really love the character of Denny The Distractor!

InvaderZim

Reaction score
Thwy've brought back Guy Smiley to star in a street story-now that's something.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Loved it today. Enjoy everything on today's episode. Glad to see Guy Smiley back. Hoping for more of him to come. Loved seeing the old Grover the Waiter Skit with Piño in it. One of my favorites of all time. Awsome to see that that in there. Always great to see some of the 90's older stuff in the newer episodes. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I really can't wait to see the Cookie Monster one that's about to come up.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Today's review.

Episode 4183: María the Cowgirl.
Airdate: October 30, 2008.
Season:Season 39.
Sponsors: T, 1.
Word on the Street: Cactus.
Street Story.
So it wasn't bad enough when Bob was made to be Strong Bob and Triangle Bob Trianglepants...
Now they've got María in on the act, with her own popular literary franchisal set of books.
Hmm, I smell an extra-curricular SST merchandising outlet.
And now we get a repeat of the story as Abby, Elmo and Big Bird play it out over again in pretend.
Animation: What Comes Next? Cowboy boots and hats.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Art School.
Animation: Cavemen Yuk, Grog and Yogle make some cave paintings for people to admire.
Letter of the Day: Chris washes the letter T.
Song: Oh I'm the Letter T.
Film: Kids say "T".
Song: "Songs" by Sugarland (Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush) and Elmo, originally from Kids' Favorite Country Songs, (EKA: Episode 4149).
Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures: Sheriff Ernie and Deputy Bert search for the missing milk cow.
The "taxi" joke is starting to wear thin.
Ernie: "I hear cow sounds coming from inside that saloon."
Oh? Since when does a player piano classify as "cow sounds"?
Number of the Day: Chris washes the number 1.
Segment: Kid announces the number 1!
Animation: Kids pageant where they keep saying they're the number 1.
Man, how I miss the sketch with the Pageant Show Numbers, as that's a better bit for featuring the importance of 1.
Global Grover: Saskatchewan, Canadian Cowgirls Roundup.
Elmo's World: Horses.
Ending: Chris presents the sponsors, then goes off to wash the "laundry of the day".

Drtooth

Reaction score
... Poor lonesome Cowgirl....

The opening story was pretty much the same as every story reading episode they've made recently... the characters wanting to act it out... stuff like that.

The real highlight was The Bert and Ernie's great adventure... Glad they didn't say "The Donkey's name is Taxi." That was only funny once.

And that T song was a (self serving, "Hey Mom, I'm on Sesame Street! I made it!") of the Plain White T's, right (Oh Brother... even band names are lame now a days... still waiting for a group called "She Like Cloth"). But they gave it an interesting twist by animating it in CGI... That was clearly Henson's work (it looked a LOT like Sid the Science Kid). That animation made the sketch a lot more fun than it could have been.

I hated seeing We're the Number One again (That one's funny for 2 seconds), and I really didn't like the Yoga stuff.

And Anyone else disappointed they reused the Chris washing the Number/letter of the day thing again?