Just how many segments ARE there?

JLG

Reaction score
I've been wondering this a while--throughout the not-quite 40 years they've been on the air, just how many individual segments have built up in that backlog of theirs? I'm talking about everything---live action films, animated, Muppet skits, miscellany--the whole nine yards.

I'm not sure quite how to think about the question---I'm wondering if the number would be more than we'd think, or less than we'd think. Perhaps we'd be surprised by how few there actually are? (Kind of like how when you take a major character from a movie and add up the minutes he's actually on screen--sometimes you're surprised by how little it actually is)

Trying to count up everything on YouTube to get some beginning of an idea is too hard, and not everything is there, anyway.

Every episode in the older format days (until around 2002) had about 40 individual "things" in it. We all know that many of them were repeated like crazy, but we also know that with some we'd have to wait quite a while to catch it again. 130 hours a year, 40 "things" per hour, with light-to-moderate-to-heavy repeats; hard to know how to approach thinking about this.

BTW, when I say individual segments, I'm not counting the Street scenes, except for ones that were made to be inserts (or scenes that were originally parts of stories but later used as inserts, like the time R2-D2 fell in love with a fire hydrant).

It's worth noting that in that old 1969 promo special, Rowlf the Dog speaks offhandedly of the "hundreds of little films" that have been prepared. Since the first season is still largely out of reach, it's hard to say if that's just hyperbole or if there literally were hundreds of things already at the helm.

There's also a technicality---how do you count series of films, like Jazzy Spies or Pinball Numbers? Do you lump every installment together and count them as one, or count them individually?

Well, that's my rambling. If anyone has any insight into this qvestchink, I'll be listenin'.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ask the could of maybe you cold ask Sesame workshop that question? You never know?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ask the could of maybe you cold ask Sesame workshop that question? You never know?
I think they would love to answer that question..It's just the sort of thing that would look very good on their site as a little known fact :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The only think it that they make new skits and segments and things all the time so the number is always increasing.

armslength

Reaction score
I doubt "hundreds" would have been an overestimation - daily hourlong show, very quick pieces...if you figure a each piece at a minute (and yes that's an overestimation) with no repeats (again in season 1 there were a few repeats within an episode), that's 60 right there for a single episode. With the prep work for an initial run of 130 eps, we would most certainly be talking 100's (if not 1000's).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
SW's press release for their new website claims that by the end of 2009, they will have 10,000 vidoes. So, appearently there's that many.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
SW's press release for their new website claims that by the end of 2009, they will have 10,000 vidoes. So, appearently there's that many.
Yeah, and I man what they are giving us is only a sample of everything they have in their library.