Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
From The Muppet Newsflash:
Variety is reporting that Disney has just signed a deal with Jason Segel and Nick Stoller to help create the next Muppet movie. According to reports, Segel and Stoller will write the script while Stoller will direct the proposed Muppet film. This project is very much in its infancy and is still a long way off, but I will be sure to keep you up to date as soon as more information on this project becomes available.
It will probally take a year or two until we see it (they still have to write it, you know) - but I have been told by several people at Disney that the hope is to get the Muppet back to the big screen before the end of the decade (2010).
:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:big_grin: Thanks again Greg (just posted over at the Flash). It is an exciting development. I see now that Muppets.com XD is Disney's way of drumming up viewer support without having to create a television series yet. Smart thinking. The content gives me confidence that the Mouse is getting to know the Muppet characters and humor much better than before.

There is a Disney Store in San Francisco's Union Square that has a billboard atop its structure that is updated with Disney movie and channel related promotion (not necessarily related to the store itself). I have always hoped to see the froggy eyes peeping down at me from up there. Maybe in a couple years. :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I never heard of Jason Segel and not a big fan of most of the things on his list but am a fan of the stuff on Nick Stoller's list.
Either way a new Muppet movie is amazing news!
And I can not wait till the ball starts rolling, could a tv show be far behind now?

beaker

Reaction score
Um...

Did anyone check out the IMDB profiles of these two? This is who Disney tapped?

Im just saying...what happened to the script Brian Henson and Bill Baretta were writing? If anyone knows the Muppets more.

Heck, whose writing the Muppets.com scripts/ideas?

I could see this team writing a romantic comedy script starring say, Pepe and a human actress; or a pg-13 film about a group of Muppets living in a college dorm.

But a main Muppets film?

Jason Segel: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0781981/
Nick Stoller: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0831557/

These are no doubt two great guys, but is this the perfect duo for the next Muppets feature film? Do they know the chemistry and subtle nuances?

I wish it coulda been Brian Henson/Baretta's script with say, Spike Jonze or Michel Gondry directing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is exciting, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's been so many announced projects that have been cancled, both in the Henson era and the Disney era.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
this could be good though, they the two Disny has sigined to write and direct could work, and give the Muppets there edge they need.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Nice point, Beaker.

But if this is who it takes to get another Muppet movie. My response is it better be good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as it's not any more Simpsons writers. Just kidding.

If they have passion to write for the muppets, and a working knowledge of their chemestry, and can find a great vehicle for them, that'd be great.

If 2 years down the road, we're seeing a project called "Muppet Bonfire of the Vanities" then we have to worry. I hope it's an ORIGINAL storyline this time. No more book movies.

And I hope this is an actual movie, even if it's DTV or a telefilm. I loved VMX, but it hardly seemed like a movie, but rather a 2 hour Tv special.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
According to the article, Segel pitched Disney a concept so it must be pretty strong for the Disney brass to greenlight the writing of the script. I don't care if who's writing the script as long as it's good. I don't think Disney was in any hurry to do a major Muppet project, so the idea that they are showing enthusiasm may say wonders about the concept.

Honestly, I'd be happier to see someone new have a chance rather than turning them back over to the folks that brought us the fabulous MWOZ. And let's remember too, this is a new regime at Disney. My hopes are that Lasseter may even have some say in the script of something like a new Muppet movie (even though it's not animation).

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
This is incredible news and I am just overjoyed.
Beaming as I type this, I am starting to think something positive is going to come from all this waiting. :stick_out_tongue:

Gosh, the thought of them doing this little project...
-faints-

Even if it is just a possibility!

Hope, hope, and more hope! :big_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.