Question about character in "Follow that Bird"

muppetmonster

Reaction score
Everyone, I have a quick question. I never have been able to get this. At the end of "Sesame Street: Follow that Bird", there is a character listed in the cast of characters - Floyd. Now, I have always thought that Floyd is the Sherlock Hemlock character, but I am mistaken. Is Floyd a human character from the film, or is he some sort of muppet? Please clarify. Thanks.

Muppetmonster

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Floyd is indeed one of the human cast members from the movie. To be specific, he's the little boy who Big Bird meets and befriends, along with Ruthie, at the farm about midway through the film.
Hope this helps and have a good night.

muppetmonster

Reaction score
Wow, that was him? I have not watched the film many times, but I watched it a few times to remember every scene, but for some reason I could not remember the name of the two kids who helped Big Bird on the farm. When I watch it again sometime, I think it might come back to me, but anyways. Thanks.

Muppetmonster

BEAR

Reaction score
Beat me to it, Ed. Nice work!:smile:

Yeah, I'm not sure they really address his name all that clearly in the dialogue.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Why Ms, Fintch wanted Big Bird to be with a bird family?
I mean Big bird dose have a family and Dodo birds are not around anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why Ms, Fintch wanted Big Bird to be with a bird family?
I mean Big bird dose have a family and Dodo birds are not around anymore.
It wasn't just Miss Finch, it was the entire board of The Feathered Friends of America: their purpose was to place "stray birds" with loving bird families. Big Bird, who lives all by himself, at the age of six, was seen as being a stray bird, who needed to be adopted into a loving bird family. Miss Finch knew the Dodos were interested in adopting, so she took it upon herself to see that both the needs of Big Bird (who seemingly needed a family), and the Dodos (who wanted to adopt) were met.

Being a bird, Big Bird did think it would be a wonderful idea to have his own bird family, but after spending some time with the Dodos, he sees that the dynamics of the family were not what he was expecting, and it really takes the cake when they feel he shouldn't be best friends with Snuffy because he's not a bird. As for why Miss Finch was so determined to get Big Bird back to the Dodos, there was really no real relevance to that, as this is a kids movie, and really, it was only a plot device to give the story conflict. In a real-life scenario, who knows... maybe if the Feathered Friends saw Big Bird ran away, her job would've been in jeopardy since she took responsibility for placing Big Bird in a proper bird family. But again, that's not specified, and that very well may not even be the case... again, it's mostly for conflict in the story.

Collgoff

Reaction score
I understand that!

It wasn't just Miss Finch, it was the entire board of The Feathered Friends of America: their purpose was to place "stray birds" with loving bird families. Big Bird, who lives all by himself, at the age of six, was seen as being a stray bird, who needed to be adopted into a loving bird family. Miss Finch knew the Dodos were interested in adopting, so she took it upon herself to see that both the needs of Big Bird (who seemingly needed a family), and the Dodos (who wanted to adopt) were met.

Being a bird, Big Bird did think it would be a wonderful idea to have his own bird family, but after spending some time with the Dodos, he sees that the dynamics of the family were not what he was expecting, and it really takes the cake when they feel he shouldn't be best friends with Snuffy because he's not a bird. As for why Miss Finch was so determined to get Big Bird back to the Dodos, there was really no real relevance to that, as this is a kids movie, and really, it was only a plot device to give the story conflict. In a real-life scenario, who knows... maybe if the Feathered Friends saw Big Bird ran away, her job would've been in jeopardy since she took responsibility for placing Big Bird in a proper bird family. But again, that's not specified, and that very well may not even be the case... again, it's mostly for conflict in the story.
Well I do understand that and I do think Big Bird is more of adult then a 6 year old because he has been a round for more then 40 years.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As for why Miss Finch was so determined to get Big Bird back to the Dodos, there was really no real relevance to that, as this is a kids movie, and really, it was only a plot device to give the story conflict.
Well, Miss Finch thought Big Bird would be happier living with a bird family, and when Kermit mentioned the possibility of Big Bird not being happy with the Dodo's, she was quick to dismiss it. And at the end when Miss Finch shows up again she acknowledges that the Dodo's weren't perfect but actually did manage to find Big Bird another bird family.

And you know, I feel like Miss Finch and Sam the Eagle would make a good couple. Miss Finch seems to think birds need bird families to be happy, Sam the Eagle often pushes what he believes is right... Personalities are a bit similar.

Collgoff

Reaction score
You got to be joking!

Well, Miss Finch thought Big Bird would be happier living with a bird family, and when Kermit mentioned the possibility of Big Bird not being happy with the Dodo's, she was quick to dismiss it. And at the end when Miss Finch shows up again she acknowledges that the Dodo's weren't perfect but actually did manage to find Big Bird another bird family.

And you know, I feel like Miss Finch and Sam the Eagle would make a good couple. Miss Finch seems to think birds need bird families to be happy, Sam the Eagle often pushes what he believes is right... Personalities are a bit similar.
You got to be jocking!