Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 38

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Few thoughts... This episode reminded me of the one where a number 1 doesn't want to be a 1 any more. Telly's the one consoling her, trying to get her to be a number again, after she tries disguising herself as a banana. The truly touching part of that episode is when the Count rushes in, hearing of the number emergency, providing a shoulder for her to cry on. She meets a 0 at the end of the episode and both sort of make each other happy to be who they are.

As for American I... Oh man, did I laugh with that sketch. The letter B, she was just like WWE diva Jillian Hall, singing so off key that even Oscar would say she stinks. The W was a well-done parody of Tom Jones. Don't know who the I was parodying... But it was one of the best sketches so far this season.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
EDIT: Now Abby Cadabby is reading a bedtime story about "Real People Tales" with Gina and Marco. You know, I was wondering when we were going to see baby Marco this season. So, I guess "Trash Gordon" has been "dumped" then?
Marco has already appeared this season, and the last episode had a Trash Gordon repeat, so he's still around.

I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone and say that, once again, this episode was pretty boring. They could have done a lot more with it, like that episode where 1 didn't want to be a 1 anymore. It was great to see WASA, as well as Oscar and Telly. Just having the old school muppets was nice to see again.

While I liked American I, they could have done a lot more with that too. Oscar barely spoke, and when he did he wasn't nearly grouchy enough, and the dog was basically non existent. Rosita was the only one who really did a parody of her American Idol counterpart and I loved it. She nailed "You really made it your own." it's just a shame Oscar and the dog couldn't have faired better. At least we got some Prairie Dawn. :smile:

Great Bert and Ernie sketch. That one has always been one of my favorites of the modern Bert and Ernie sketches. "That never happened" I just love the randomness of it all. That's what makes them so great.

And of course the best part was seeing Kermit again! I couldn't believe it when he just appeared on screen. Hope they dig up some more sketches with him. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think if they were to bring back Kermit with more newer stuff. Like get Sesame Workshop to ask Disney if they could bring back Kermit in some new skits like Newsreporter, Skits with Grover, Cookie Monster, Herry, Zoe, Elmo, Murray, Oscar or other Muppets too. I just think we might get more people watching knowing that Kermit would be on there.

Today's episode was fine and dandy. I did enjoy the American I parody. It was fun. But that and Kermit was the only thing i really enjoyed. That and seeing Telly, Oscar and Slimey and others too. But hope to see other things that i enjoy in the new episodes to come.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
They also had a copyright notice to the Muppets Holding Company in the end credits, so maybe we might see a few more Kermit sketches this eason :smile:
Don't get your hopes up too much. I reviewed the tape, and for Kermit himself they still had the outdated copyright notice.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I really thought today's episode was one of the best so far this season, it was really top-notch. A fantastic Street story, great inserts, an all around awesome episode.

I really, really loved seeing Kermit today. Highlight of the episode for me (barely beating "American I"), and wha'ts really cool, is that I was listening to MCR last night, and the Keb'Mo song came on, and I realized I had never actually seen it, and really wanted to, and then POOF! It's on today's episode! AWESOME! :excited:

And about the "American I" parody... amazing. Simply AWESOME! I LOOOOOOVED Rosita and Prairie! And I agree, Oscar could've been a bit better, but I personally thought Dog the Dog was a fantastic character parody. GREAT parody!

Couple those things with loads of Big Bird in the Street scene, Telly, WASA, Ernie and Bert segment (HILLARIOUS!), Abby and Gina, Abby and Baby Bear and the Suzy Kabloozy song (which I normally don't like, but I thought it was great), it was a fantastic episode. Hope the trend continues! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The first time that I remember seeing Slimey talk was in the episode where Slimey came back from the moon. Oscar and Slimey had a conversation before Slimey went to bed. Of course, Slimey did talk in the early 1980s book The City Worm and the Country Worm, but I don't think that counts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up too much. I reviewed the tape, and for Kermit himself they still had the outdated copyright notice.
What's the big deal about an outdated copyright notice? I'm sure that it would be included reardless of whether it's a newly-produced sketch or an older sketch.

It's a shame that old Kermit skits aren't shown often, and when they are, they are segments where he's just part of the ensemble, with just one line. I guess we should at least be thankful that old skits with Kermit can still be shown, though. But since 1980s sketches with Ernie can be shown, then why not show 1980s sketches with Kermit, if not earlier ones? I don't know if there are any '80s Kermit sketches that involve learning to read (maybe the sketch where Kermit has Cookie Monster recite a poem about galoshes). But Kermit has appeared in sketches during the 1980s that have had something to do with the main curriculums of the last few seasons.

Last season, when the focus was on starting school, the sketches where Kermit interviewed Cookie Monster on his first day of school could have been shown, as could the sketch where Kermit went back in time to witness the first school day in history. The sketch where Kermit itnerviewed the Big Bad Wolf on his school of huffing and puffing also could have been shown.

And in season 36, when the show focused on health, the sketch where Kermit x-rayed Herry could have been shown. Ditto with the sketch where Kermit itnerviewed Cookie Monster, dressed as Litle Red Riding Hood.

wiley207

Reaction score
As part of the grammar/reading thing, they could show the News Flash about the London Fog! I believe it's from 1988, unless this would offend British viewers :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The main segment was actually pretty funny. Even making fun of the old "ARrRRRR" joke about Pirates ("You're just buying into the stereotypes!")
You know, all this talk about "stereotypes" reminds me of how back when my local PBS station used to do pledge drives during the afternoons in March and August, when I was doing my little puppeteering stint with them, at one point, I was talking about having my monster talk about how one thing he loves about Sesame Street is that they show how friendly monsters can really be, and not stereotype them as the scary creatures kids think hides under their beds and in their closets. They took that away from me because they thought "stereotype" was too big and complicated a word for the little kids watching, so no mention of that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know, all this talk about "stereotypes" reminds me of how back when my local PBS station used to do pledge drives during the afternoons in March and August, when I was doing my little puppeteering stint with them, at one point, I was talking about having my monster talk about how one thing he loves about Sesame Street is that they show how friendly monsters can really be, and not stereotype them as the scary creatures kids think hides under their beds and in their closets. They took that away from me because they thought "stereotype" was too big and complicated a word for the little kids watching, so no mention of that.
Aw that's a shame that they took it away. It's such an excellent point (I kinda said the same thing on the "What Sketches Scared You" thread just now) and one of the reasons I love the show. Stereotype was probably too big a word (I remember not knowing what it meant for years), but you know, heh, that's what parents are for!

Kids should be encouraged to ask questions and occasionally exposed to adult topics, not sheltered from such things so they can live in their save little universe. It will only help them as they grow older. There are so many older kids now who don't know cultural references, stories, and even words. If they weren't exposed to it, they feel it's not important.

I think in a misguided attempt to help kids by making things easy and "kid friendly", we are actually hurting them in the long run. (I'm not just talking about SS, I see it everywhere. And at least it looks like SS has been trying to do it again. :smile: )