Puppet Stages

StephenC

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am considering building a big stage for some puppet shows. However, I have been to many of your websites and find that most are right around 5-7’ wide and a few feet deep. It appears that many sit when doing shows.

I have in mind to build a stage that would be roughly a big square house shape (similar to a Punch & Judy stage). The dimensions would be around 12-15’ wide & 8-10’ deep. You would stand to do the puppet shows. I have tried to do a diagram here for you.

aaaaaaaa/ aaaa\
aaaaaa/ aaaaaaa\
-----/aaaaaaaaaaa\-------- total +/- 20’
---/aaaaaaaaaaaaaa-\
/___________________\
| ...........................|
| ......Open for puppets | ........6’
|____________________|
| ......_O_ ................|
| ........| .................| ........6’
|______/\____________|
..........wide 12-15’

I would like to know what you think are the pros and cons of a bigger stage vs a smaller stage.

Thanks for any ideas.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Crikey, that is big. Remember a lot of venues won't like 20 foot high booths.

Ruben

Reaction score
I think that it depends on what show you are doing. Like if you were doing a show with one puppet vs a show with eightor ten puppets up at a time. the more prefomers the more room you need. It also depend on what doing with the puppet. If you are doing a lot of action and using a lot of props you need more space to move around. If the puppet is just talking then not as much space is needed. The stage that I perform with can be ajusted from as small as 3ft to as big as 12ft long. It can change from a depth of 2ft to 4ft. the height can be as short as 3ft and as tall as 8ft. This way when the puppet team I preform with can decide on stage size by the show that we are doing.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That really is a big stage. I know some companies use two - a larger one for ideal venues and a smaller one for places the big one can't be used in.

Phantom

Reaction score
Maybe you only need 3' for the opening. That would save you some space. Also maybe instead of one large house type roof, you could do a row of smaller roofs. There again you can cut your height down another few feet and pull this off in a 10'-12' range. For "shorter" venues, you may want to make a roof optional. This assuming you want portablilty. If it's fixed, build on!

I did one performance with a 6' high, 48' long curtain (no roof). We used prop houses to simulate a street. Once we "arrived" at the next house, the prop turned to reveal an interior scene. With spot lighting the effect was neat...but I digress... Good luck.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
My greatest word of advice is make sure you can transport it easily.If it's PVC and fabric that's one thing, but hard materials are a pain in the butt to haul around.

wes

Reaction score
May i suggest you check out One way street Productions, here a pic of the stage they salw it's great it the best one Grand ($1000) I ever spent

Drawing

Actual

Here are soem picture to show how versital the stage isInuse

The stage is very protable and light weight. It can expand to over 7 feet, the onll draw back is the more you strech it the more flemsy it becomes.

StephenC

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. It has been helpful. I think I might build that big huge stage in a couple of years for an outdoor puppets at the park type of deal. Since most of the shows will be indoors, I will use a stage set up I saw in Italy. It was a bunch of cardboard boxes and flat sheets of wood. For many of the shows I want to do, this stage will be perfect. It will be different and hopefully kinda cool looking too.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There's a puppeteer in Ontario, Mike Harding, who uses a stage made from a large cardboard fridge box (or at least he used to). It's covered in fabric and looks great, is super light and easy to transport. I think that would be a lot easier than lugging around some made from wood or a bunch of PVC pipes.

AEaston

Reaction score
I once saw an old Circus Wagon...it was probably the coolest thing ever. I thought about trying to find one and turning it into a traveling puppet theater but haven't found one like it anywhere..perhaps I'll just have to make it myself