Lighting

AEaston

Reaction score
To any of you who put on shows, I have a question for ya. What all do you use for lighting, where do you get it from, how much does it cost app. I am thinking about building this great show and I am trying to work numbers out...thanks for your help!

AEaston

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I would think the cheapest way would be to use a strobe light and sound effects. Just my own thought.:smile:

AEaston

Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of stage lighting though, not just special effects..

Jinx

Reaction score
The first thing a lighting desgner has to know is what is being lit.

How big is the set?
Is it an "open" stage or a proscenium?
Does it have to troupe or is it to be a stationary show?
What kinds of puppets are being lit? Marionettes? Hand puppets? Others? Combinations?
Will it be performed in a room that can be darkened, or is there to be a lot of ambient light?

Then one has to know about the show to be lit.
Is it a comedy? A drama? Are there day scenes/night scenes?
Do different areas of the stage need to be lit independently of other areas?

Because of the many questions, it is impossible to give a simple answer to your question. You can piece together a simple but effective lighting system entirely from items from your local hardware store, as long as the needs of the show are met.

The specifics of more sophisticated lighting would determine which lighting instruments would be required, how many of each type, and consequently what king of controller would be needed to operate them.

Also the positioning and hanging of the lights needs to be addressed. Will the lights be hin on trees or a truss out front? Do any need to be hung on battens above the stage itself?

Really you can go so many ways. You could spend about $150 up to about $5,000. The more you can tell us, the more accurately we can advise.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I remember when I worked on a School Play (talk about low budget!) We made an effective stage lighting set from plywood, a few of those shop lights with the spring clamp, some dimmer switches, and that colored celophane/plastic wrap. It worked pretty well. Again though, you have to consider all the questions Jinx asked.

Hope this helps!

Jason

wes

Reaction score
SesameKermie said:
I remember when I worked on a School Play (talk about low budget!) We made an effective stage lighting set from plywood, a few of those shop lights with the spring clamp, some dimmer switches, and that colored celophane/plastic wrap. It worked pretty well. Again though, you have to consider all the questions Jinx asked.

Hope this helps!

Jason
Yeah, if your Low buget that would work great I have use them before and worked ok, But if you want to check out professional light San Antonio should have a theatical supply in the phone book, check them out and may be they can sell you some used one's, I have done that for Our puppet team here in Columbus. There Called Lighting Cans and Trees try this link
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-01,GGLG:en&q=theatrical+lighting&spell=1

Google is our Friend!!