Harry Potter novels or movies

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes that's true. Harry cannot afford to underestimate his opponent.
And I'm also curious as to whether Snape, the half blood prince, was secretly following Dumbledore's orders when he murdered him. If there is a far-out twist in store I'm excited to find out about it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... What I was getting at was...
At the end of Book 6, Harry says he'll do the following:
1 Stay with the Durzleys until his seventeenth birthday, partly to honor Dumbledor's wishes and partly so the bloodline magic will protect him until it's run its course on that day in mid-July 1998.
2 Visit Godrik's Hollow where James and Lily are buried.
In my opinion he then needs to go back to the Burrow if that's where Ron and Hermionie will be during the rest of the summer and:
3 Suck his pride and ask Hermionie to help him master the art of silent spells.
4 If he has to get some money from his family vault, do so to buy a pensive and ask her to help him conquer the art of oclumancy.
Reason I say that is cause these were the last two skills he wasn't able to master that he'll need to fight the dark arts at their worst in Book 7.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
:concern: BTW I don't mean to upset anybody, but has anyone heard about the rumours that Harry may be killed off in Book 7?

That was the big talk awhile ago but I hope that isn't true. I would be dreadfully disappointed even if he did die heroically to destroy Voldemort.

I think Rowling certainly should at least leave it open for the further adventures of her hero and his best friends as adults.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, haven't heard any "big death" rumors concerning Book 7... Yet.
Seems we've gone through this for the last two releases, the one for Book 5 was a bit overly done and it's kind of made me a bit jaded towards "big death" rumors for the last two in the series.

Even then... Remember, Harry can't or shouldn't be killed off defeating/vanquishing Voldemort.

Why's that? Count up the horcruxes and you'll know why.

Brinatello

Reaction score
The books will always be my favorite compared to the movies. As many have already stated, the books have the most detail and character development. It's impossible for the movies to have every single scene or occurance from the books; they'd all be like 5 hours long! The good thing about the movies is that while there are some things you wouldn't understand unless you read the books, they can still be followed or understood. My mom and sister haven't read the books and they're still able to follow along.

Another good thing about the movies is I've gone back to read the books and now have a better idea of what the characters look like. I read the books and picture the scenes and actors from the films! Before the first movie was released, I had to rely on just the artwork and my own imagination. That's cool, too, but this is more vivid. :smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread, as I'd like to add my own two knuts in, and generally have some more discussion.
I can say for my own part that I just caught GoF on TV yesterday. While it is true that I only saw it from the part where Sedrick tells Harry about the prefect's bathroom, I still felt that I shouldn't have been as lost throughout it as I was. I couldn't think of how to describe it, but I think "choppy" is a very good word for it! I'm probably alone here, but I don't see time constraint as a valid excuse for chopping up the books. When was it exactly when people became afraid to make long movies? I'm really curious about this one!
In short, the movies, or at least what I've seen of them, have a good dose of entertainment value, but the books are better on many levels. I can't wait to see the last two movies for the sixth and seventh books! So, have you all read the last one?

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I have; finished the book the morning after we brought it home. And I didn't realize that I was holding my breath while reading the last few chapters. Incredible ending.

I prefer the books, of course, but the movies are special as well.

dabauckham

Reaction score
The books are incredible, and the movies are very good (except for the first two, which I didn't think Christopher Columbus did justice to). Order of the Phoenix is perhaps the one case in which I can say I don't prefer the book, simply because I found it to be overly long. I actually appreciated some of the streamlining of the movie, and I found Umbridge to be developed quite well in the movie (actually preferred her to the depiction in the book!)

In general, though, I have to give my preference to the books. The seventh book was incredibly well-written, and very poignant...

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything everybody's saying about the books compared to the movies. I hadn't read any of the books until this year when I decided to finally see what the big deal was and wow I became totally obsessed. The books were so awesome I read all 7 in a row. I was kinda sad when I finished since Harry Potter was such a big part of my life for about 2 months. I had seen the first four movies before reading any of these and while the movies are still very enjoyable there is no way they could ever do justice to the books in just 2 1/2 hours. I will never stop liking the movies though especially with how great Snape is in them! I love his reation to Umbridge when she's questioning him about trying to become defense against dark arts teacher in the past, classic.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
To be honest, I like the books more because of the focus on Harry's "Emotional" battle. And I disliked 5 and thought 6 was OK.