The Superball and the Number 3

bigbird

Reaction score
This was a pretty popular one. The superball that goes traveling thru different chutes, channels and other paths while an unseen boy counts to three each time the ball goes thru a certain trio of paths. Finally, the ball falls into (a meat grinder?) and we see a hand cupped under the spout while the crank of the grinder turns 3 times(1, 2, 3). And out pops the superball which has now turned into a fine powder! A real cool skit! Always made me want to play with my superball!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Actually, that's not too far off from reality. Way back in the early 70's, there was actually a ball called a Powerbouncer. It was red powder (just like in the film), that when you poured into a mold, and held underwater, it actually turned into a ball! Not just any ball, it was supposed to be the highest-bouncing super ball on the planet. Unfortunately it was only on the market for a VERY short time. But, still a very nice relic of a most groovy time.
Man, to be four years old again...:sleep:

maxdrive

Reaction score
you know not to long ago i seen in one of those quarter toy machine

Rosewood

Reaction score
bigbird said:
This was a pretty popular one. The superball that goes traveling thru different chutes, channels and other paths while an unseen boy counts to three each time the ball goes thru a certain trio of paths. Finally, the ball falls into (a meat grinder?) and we see a hand cupped under the spout while the crank of the grinder turns 3 times(1, 2, 3). And out pops the superball which has now turned into a fine powder! A real cool skit! Always made me want to play with my superball!
Another of my all-time favorites! I loved that skit! If I remember correctly, I believe someone said Frank Oz built that incredible contraption. I wonder just how big it realy was? Would be interesting to find out!

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember that skit had an alternate ending too. When the superball lands into the grinder, the crank starts turning all by itself. Then 3 ice cream sundaes move by on a conveyor belt and the grinder spits out a cherry on each sundae and a girl's voice goes, "1, 2, 3", every time a cherry pops out. Then a little girl appears and starts eating one of the sundaes going, "MMMM!"

BipBippadotta

Reaction score
I have the sketch where the cherries come out. However are you sure that the one with the powder was also a number 3 sketch? My memory is screaming that this was a number five sketch accompanied with that hokey Leave it to Beaver music.

Personally I was angry with the kid who turned the handle on the grinder. I think that kid should have been punched in the face. Poor ball.

superboober

Reaction score
I wonder how long it took to set the whole thing up and tape it? It probably, I'm guessing, took a couple of takes to get it right, with the ball probably jumping the track a couple of times and missing some of the gaps it went over. Getting it to fall just right into the metal dipper cups was probably tough. At any rate, if it's still out there somewhere, I'd love ot get my hands on it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
BipBippadotta said:
I have the sketch where the cherries come out. However are you sure that the one with the powder was also a number 3 sketch? My memory is screaming that this was a number five sketch accompanied with that hokey Leave it to Beaver music.

Personally I was angry with the kid who turned the handle on the grinder. I think that kid should have been punched in the face. Poor ball.
The "grinder" version was also a sketch about 3, with the same circus-like music (in triple time, of course!) as the "sundae" version used. You're not the only one who thought that grinding up the ball was weird and sad, though: I felt uneasy whenever that sketch aired. Maybe that's why the producers remade that sketch with a happier, more kid-friendly ending. (Of course, now that Sesame Workshop supports the War On Junk Food, they'd probably film a new version with three fruit smoothies appearing on the conveyor belt. *groan*)

ISNorden

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Actually, that's not too far off from reality. Way back in the early 70's, there was actually a ball called a Powerbouncer. It was red powder (just like in the film), that when you poured into a mold, and held underwater, it actually turned into a ball! Not just any ball, it was supposed to be the highest-bouncing super ball on the planet. Unfortunately it was only on the market for a VERY short time. But, still a very nice relic of a most groovy time.
Wow, you learn something new every day; I bet the kid at the grinder wanted to know if he could dismantle and re-create his Powerbouncer a second time. Still, the grinder ending is a bit sad, especially to someone who never saw balls like that as a kid.