The boy, the girl, and the jellybeans

muppet maniac

Reaction score
This was a skit from 1969(by the way it looked). It had two AMs and Beautiful Day Monster was in it as well. But when I first saw this clip, it was all in Malay. Can anyone help with what happens in this clip?

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
It was actually from 1970 and featured two AM's and Herry Monster was in it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I remember seeing this one a few times in the early 70's. It was in three parts. Each time a new part would begin, the title "The boy and the girl and the jellybeans" would appear on a blank screen and a narrator would say something like, "And now here is 'The boy and the girl and the jellybeans' chapter 2." (I think he said chapter instead of part. And not sure who he was but his voice sounded like it could have been James Earl Jones).
I'm kind of fuzzy on specifics of the first two parts. But the third segment I recall more vividly. The boy starts out by saying, "Boy am I mad." He had an empty jellybean bag but no jellybeans anymore. Then shortly the girl is shown and she likewise says, "Boy am I mad!" Then I think she says, "I am so mad I could scream! I am mad!" She had a pile of jellybeans on that classic SS wall. But she had no way to carry them home. I think she also was concerned she was going to be late getting home for dinner. Then the boy muppet appears on the scene and asks, "How are you?" And she says, "I am mad!" He says he is too and she scoffs and says something like, "Ha! You don't know what mad is until you're as mad as I am!" And then she notices his bag and says softly, "You have a jellybean bag?" And he starts to reply angrily and then a dinging sounds and he says calmly, "You have jellybeans."
Then it goes:
Girl: "Uh huh. I do."
Boy: "Well, I have a bag to put them in."
Girl: "I'm not mad anymore."
Boy: "Neither am I."
Girl: "You wanta come over to my house for dinner?"
Boy: "What'll we have for dessert?"
Both: "Jellybeans!"
Then they both laugh and walk off the screen and the narrator gives a final closing line of the story.
Remembering how the voices sounded, I'd say it was Jim Henson and Frank Oz who did the boy and girl, respectively. I'm fuzzy on the part Herry (no pun intended!) played in this skit. But if he was in it then I guess we had the classic trio of Henson, Oz, and Nelson in this one. I also recall having an early seventies SS book that had this story in it. Can't recall how closely it resembled the TV version, though. For some reason, I'm picturing the Cookie Monster in the book version, but it could have been a different SS book story that is coming to mind.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just to fill in a few holes

The skit (Part One) begins with the boy (The same AM that was used to sing the 7 song/ Going To St. Ive's, again voiced by Jim) explaining how happy he is that he has a whole bag of jelly beans.

He comes across Betty Lou (voiced by Frank) who's bawling her eyes out because she lost her jellybeans.

Boy: "Well just because you lost your jellybeans, it's not that bad."
Girl: "NOT THAT BAD?!!! Have YOU ever lost your jellybeans?!!!"
Boy:" Well, no, I..."
Girl:" Then you don't know how I feel! The only way you can know how I feel is if you lost your jellybeans too!"
Boy: "Well here, why don't I give you mine? (Hands her his bag)"
Girl: "Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou! Now I'm not sad anymore! Bye-bye!"
Boy: "Well, that makes me feel happy to know I made her happy too. And all I had to do was give her my jellybeans (Then it dawns on him what he actually did, and his mood turns sad, and soon he's crying up a storm)
I... gave her my jellybeans! But jellybeans are the greatest! Now I don't have any! SOB!!!!"

Narrator (also Frank): Will the boy ever get his jellybeans back? Tune in for the next part of The Boy and the Girl and The Jellybeans and find out.

In the next installment, the boy gets over his crying fit, and finds the little girl with his bag of jellybeans, but she's shaking with fear. She ran into a monster that wants to eat her jellybeans, and the whole encounter left her quivering with fright. Again, the girl thinks the boy is shallow, because he never experienced the same emotions as her (Nice, ain't she?).

Girl: "Have you ever had a monster try to take your jellybeans from you?"
Boy: "Well, no, I..."
Girl: "Well, then you don't know how I feel! They only way you can know how I feel is if a monster took your jellybeans from you."
And in a rare display of kindness, she gives the jellybeans back, and they are both temporarily happy.

Until the monster shows up (either Beautiful Day or Herry, or some combination of the two. Anybody have proof?) and now the boy is shaking in his boots with fear. But now the girl feels not a tremble of fright at all, and leaves the boy to confront the monster alone.

Boy: "Wow, that girl, she's really too much, isn't she? Hey, (meekly) you want some jellybeans?"
Monster: "Yum yum yum!"
Boy: "Go ahead. Enjoy them."
Monster: "Yum. Thank you!" (Plants a big wet kiss on the boy's cheek, exit Stage Right.
Boy: (Looking at the empty bag):"sigh. He ate them all... but at least I'm not afraid anymore."

Frank the narrator says something to wrap up this installment. But after another skit we'll be right back.

Part three- now the boy is mad as he can get. To lose your jellybeans once makes you sad, but to lose them twice in the same day makes you mad, believe me!

Meanwhile, the girl found her pile of jellybeans, but she's mad because she has no way to take them home (maybe put them in your pockets, perhaps?
After all, J- Joe has a pocketful of jellybeans, but that's another matter).

After venting their spleens at each other over their dire straits, it dawns on both of them, she has jellybeans, and he's got a bag to carry them in.
Girl: "I'm not mad anymore".
Boy:" I'm not either!"
Girl: (Looking lovingly in his eyes) "Would you like to come to my house for dinner?"
Boy: (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink) "What'll we have for dessert?"
Girl and Boy together: "JELLYBEANS!!!"
Girl:"Good, let's put them in the bag!"
Boy: "Okay, fine. Oh, I'm so happy! Hmmmm!"

Narrator:"And so, with jellybeans for all, the story of The Boy, and The Girl, and The Jellybeans ends happily".

And thank you Joe for your lovely piano work throughout the whole thing.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the way I remember it is Beautiful Day played the monster on the televised version and Herry played the illustrated version of the monster in the compilation book version of it.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Man, wouldn't it be neat if they would do stories like this today on SS? Kids might actually like it!:excited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The monster's role

Yes, Mokeystar, Beautiful Day did appear in the tv version, and Herry (or a close relation) was drawn in the book. And BD didn't growl or yell like he normally does. If you use your imagination, he actually sounds a bit like Andy Rooney. (For you youngsters who might not know, Andy Rooney was a columnist who did these little comic observations of life every Sunday at the end of 60 Minutes).

Something else that I just thought of... the girl finds her pile of jellybeans, just where she left them, and she's frustrated she doesn't have a bag to carry them home. Well.. how did she get them to that spot in the first place?

These are the things I think of when I'm stuck at a red light and there's a long line of traffic coming the other way.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I loved "The Boy, The Girl and The Jellybeans". Great stuff. Haven't seen it since it aired in the 1980's.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... It was Herry in the book version, as it appears in the volumes of the Sesame Street Library.
Hope this helps.