Watching TMS on the computer

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
anathema said:
Um...DVD+ and DVD- are recordable formats. I seriously doubt that Disney are running off commercial releases with a DVD burner ;-) If your Mac cannot play the TMS discs, there is something wrong.
I am running a Mac Mini and don't have any problems...that is truly a bizzare situation

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Wait a minute...I just thought of something...

Do you use Apple DVD Player or VLC, because a lot of my Disney stuff jams up when I use VLC. It's as if they spent SO much time trying to stop us from copying their discs, they don't care whether or not the discs will even PLAY!!

My "Emperor's New Groove" disc is crabby even in a standalone player, and I have to Force Quit VLC whenever I use it, for example. Same with disc one of "Monsters, Inc."

eric

anathema

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Wait a minute...I just thought of something...

Do you use Apple DVD Player or VLC, because a lot of my Disney stuff jams up when I use VLC. It's as if they spent SO much time trying to stop us from copying their discs, they don't care whether or not the discs will even PLAY!!

My "Emperor's New Groove" disc is crabby even in a standalone player, and I have to Force Quit VLC whenever I use it, for example. Same with disc one of "Monsters, Inc."

eric
It seems unlikely to be copy-protection - for one thing, there is very little protection available for DVDs apart from CSS.

However, Disney have a reputation for producing DVDs which push the format to its limits, and this can cause problems on low-end (read: cheap) DVD players. It's not the fault of the disc, it's simply that the player manufacturer tried to cut costs in inappropriate places... The 'Toy Story' boxset extras disc, for example, has some highly complex animated menus. My brother's original player had a lot of problems dealing with these - they would play, but very very slowly. A newer player had no difficulties in coping.

That said, I've never run into a similar problem with a software player before.