Watching TMS on the computer

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Maybe someone can answer me this:
When I watch TMS on the TV with my DVD player, it's perfectly normal, looks great. But when I watch it on my computer, I can see arm socks and the top of puppeteer's heads! Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it? It's a little disturbing, like I'm seeing more than I'm supposed to.
(I'd do a screen capture and show you, but the program won't let me, it goes black in the capture.)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Weird!!!

It doesn't on my computer...wish it did...lol

MrsPepper

Reaction score
No, it's really weird! In the Jim Nabors episode, when Scooter and George are talking ("He is the WORST!" "My uncle owns this theatre." "He is the BEST"), you can see the top of someone's hair between them! I'm guessing it's Richard Hunt, as it's dark and curly.

But it IS really weird!! ><

And almost anytime you see Kermit, you can see his arm sock.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
TV's in general don't show you the whole picture that was captured. When they invented our current TV standards in the 1930's and 40's, it was agreed that a frame be built around the outside edge of the screen to eliminate this problem. Now, the computer can show you the complete frame from edge to edge, therefore you see things outside the intended frame.

eric

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Thank you, Smy Guiley, that makes sense. However, it doesn't explain why Beau can't see it while I can. :confused:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Maybe someone can answer me this:
When I watch TMS on the TV with my DVD player, it's perfectly normal, looks great. But when I watch it on my computer, I can see arm socks and the top of puppeteer's heads! Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it? It's a little disturbing, like I'm seeing more than I'm supposed to.
That one's easy, see when something is played on a TV, the tube chops off a lot of the picture. When you play it on your comp., it displays everything that's really there. When it plays through the TV, it's still there, it just can't be seen. When I edit video on my comp. it looks perfectly formatted, when I put it to DVD and play it through the TV, much of the picture is chopped off. When they format these productions for TV, they have to leave extra picture all around or the video will be too chopped off when it's viewed. It would look quite bad. Edit: Oh yeah, well it's doesn't work on all comps., it depends on what viewer you're using and the like. What program are you viewing your DVD's through MrsPepper?

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Here's a good description and how to see what is hidden:

Typical televisions and many monitors lose nearly 20% of the picture by "cropping" the image. It is this lost portion that is commonly referred to as overscan. The information is not actually "lost," but it has been banished to an existence off-screen, in the twilight zone found just beyond the borders of the visible area of your TV screen. Overscan is done intentionally, often to conceal a deficient TV/monitor power supply and/or video processing circuitry. It is intended to ensure, among other things, that screen real-estate remains filled and geometrically accurate at all times despite power fluctuations and dynamic swings in picture brightness. (Overscan must not be confused with actual "hard" cropping applied during the telecine process. This cropping cannot be undone after the fact. It is therefore of vital importance to make an informed choice on what version/region/release of a particular DVD title to acquire. By far the best resource in this regard is compare.dvdbeaver.com.)

So, how may one reverse the effect of overscan? It is very simple: using a DVD player with a quality incremental zoom (such as the Malata PDVD-N996) allows one to actually "zoom out" (i.e. underscan) the overscanned image in order to restore the entire original film frame as encoded on the DVD. No digital artifacts are introduced by such zooming — the effect is exactly as if the cameraman had touched the zoom lever on the camera lens. It truly is amazing what can be revealed.