Gum Chewing

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When I was in school (well, technically, I still am, but I'm no longer in public school), chewing gum was not allowed, at any time. Even if we were caught making chewing motions with our jaws, we were sent to the principal's office. Now that my little niece is starting kindergarten, one of the things on her school supply list is of all things...chewing gum! My mom says NOW, kids are actually ENCOURAGED to chew gum, because they say it keeps them focused. They told us when I was in public school that chewing gum is a nasty habit, and distracts the other students. Isn't that bizarre and kinda unfair?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Absolutely. See, I'm at a private school that reaches to the twelfth grade. In high school, you're allowed to chew gum, so long as you don't chew too much of it and you spit it out into a garbage can afterwards. However, in the lower grades, the chewing gum rules are somewhat like yours. The "no chewing motion" thing is unlike any school rule I've heard before, and probably stupider than any I'll hear from now on. I suppose that it's partially true that chewing gum keeps you focused, but it's odd that it wasn't known when you were down in elementary school! :confused:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
my school doesn't have any specific rules on gum chewing, but I remember in the jr high I went to, it was annoying that we had pop machines, but we weren't allowed to have pop in class, but we are in the high school

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
my school doesn't have any specific rules on gum chewing, but I remember in the jr high I went to, it was annoying that we had pop machines, but we weren't allowed to have pop in class, but we are in the high school
During exams, we were allowed to have drinks AS LONG as we kept them on the floor.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
our school doesn't have any rules against drinks, but some teachers don't let you have them (the same teachers that lock you out of the final for being late :mad: )

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
our school doesn't have any rules against drinks, but some teachers don't let you have them (the same teachers that lock you out of the final for being late :mad: )
In my middle school, we were given strict five minute breaks, and if you weren't in class in five minutes, they locked you out. Of course, my middle school was in the ghetto, so they had to lock doors, and enforce security guards.

luvtosr

Reaction score
IN my school we weren't allowed gum at all and no drinks in class - that was what breaks were for.

Now i believe kids are allowed a drink of water in class

That Announcer

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
IN my school we weren't allowed gum at all and no drinks in class - that was what breaks were for.

Now i believe kids are allowed a drink of water in class
Yep, I can take water into class. One very creative guy in our class bought a deep red plastic water bottle that made everything in it look around the same color, then filled it with Gatorade. Nobody knew! :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
We're not allowed to drink ANYTHING outside of the lunch room unless it's water from a drinking fountain. Or if we have a medical excuse, it's ok. Other than that, they think kids will sneak in alcohol or something. As for gum, I'm not sure what the rules are exactly. I know it's absolutely forbidden in the language classes (Spanish, French, and German.) I also know that people not only chew gum, but leave it on the bottom of the desk, for me to inevitably bump my leg into and get gum on my pants. Trust me, it's happened to me. And it's NOT fun.

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
In middle and or high school, I remember not being allowed to have gum in phys ed, 'cause, I guess you could choke or something. And then in some science class we couldn't have it because we'd be doing things with different chemicals and stuff and that could end up with bad results

Oh, and some classes allowed gum chewing until too many kids started sticking them under the seats.

We were allowed to have bottled water as well, but that was it.