Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets Wizard of Oz

:boo: I have to say if the above is true we are headed down a road paved in something other than yellow brick. The Wondeful Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic, and it is said to say that the folks who got it almost right was MGM back in 1939 when their film was released. Ever since then people have tried to jazz up the story, change it all around, and attempt to make it into something better than what it really is (all of which fall short). It is just a simple story with simple wisdome, and Dorothy is just a simple farm girl from Kansas.

You may recall a film called The Wiz, in which Dianea Ross played a much older Dorothy, who was was full of fear and anxiety about growing up. Audiences had hard time relating to her, because she was to old to be acting like a frightened little girl from NY. The special effects and costumes were impressive, but over all the story leaves you feeling flat. The epic dance numbers and songs are over done and it becomes boaring, who cares if she makes it home or not.

Like wise I think the Muppets are heading for a fall. What happens when Dorothy returns home from OZ? Is she still going to leave home to follow her heart and singing career despite what Aunt Em and Uncle Henery want? What then will OZ have to teacher, if she allready has brains, heart and courage?

Remember this story at it's root is about believeing in your self, and learning that all we really need is right there inside of us, all we have to do is believe in our selves. we have the brains, heart, courge that we need and home is in the heart. It is about wanting to leave a place called home because you hate what it is, and then returning to it realizing that you and it have changed for the better.

In the book Aunt Em is a hard and almost mean woman who has had the color and life drained out of her by the hard farm life and desolute land scape. She never smiles or laughs, and can not understand what Dorothy could find to be happy about, Uncle Henery almost never speaks. Looseing Dorothy in the twister taught her guardians a great lesson. When Dorothy returns from Oz, it is Aunt Em who runs out to meet her,

folding the little girl in her arms and covering her face in kissess..."My darling child where in the world did you come from!?'"....."From the lad of Oz", said Dorothy gravely..."And here is toto, on Oh aunt Em it is so good to be home again!"

I wish, and if any one knows how please let me know because I have tried for years with no results, that I could work for and or communicate with the Jim Henson people. Or talk to the people who write these scripts. I have dedicated the last 10 years of my life to collecting and studying OZ, and as of right now they missed the mark by a long shot.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The point of the Muppets doing it is all in fun. I think they are making "their" version of the story, not duplicating the story.

MGM's '39 film, if you have read the book, was VERY loosely based on the book, and even at the end all of Oz was just a dream, whereas in the book it really happened.

When I was in the play, we kept the Kansas elements of the script, but changed the beginning and the end to match the book so, rather than a dream, Dorothy really went to Oz.

I hope that the Muppets do it that way, too.

On the other hand, I'd give $8.00 to see a movie based directly off the book with costumes and actors that match Denslow's illustrations so it will be purely accurate--even though I prefer the illustrations by John R. Neill.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
MGM's '39 film, if you have read the book, was VERY loosely based on the book, and even at the end all of Oz was just a dream, whereas in the book it really happened.
WHAT?! It was all just a DREAM?! Now you tell me. I guess that's what I get for not being able to watch it beyond the flying monkeys. Man, those things are scary! :eek:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Wonderful Wizard of OZ

Yes it is true the 1939 MGM film ends with Dorothy wakeing up in her own bed in the farm house in Kansas.

I agree 100% the book was better on so many different levels. Mostly because it took a long time, about a month for Dorothy and her friends to travel to the emeral city, defeat the witch, and return home to kansas. In fact she has been gone long enough for Uncle Henery to begin building a new farmhouse.

It is never explained in the books, but I always felt that it was implied, that after the twister destroied the farm. Uncle Henery used the insurance money to build a new bigger farm house, and buy more animals. Because after the twister Dorothy finally has her own room.

I would pay $20.00 a ticket to see a film based 100% on the book, that would be a truly great. I mean really if they can do it with Harry Potter, why not do it with OZ. I hope that the Muppers don't loose sight of the story to much, I do not think they can afford to have another bomb. :attitude:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Song of the South

I just wanted to touch on this subject really quick. I know some of you were talking about it a page or so back. I guess I am old enough to have seen the film, and my inlaws have it on VHS, they are one of the fiew who do.

Not being of Black, or African American decent I really do not know what all the hype is about. If some one does I wish they would tell the rest of us se we can understand better.

I had always thought that these were African American Folk tails, and that Disney did a really net job of bringing them to life.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Cindy Chapman said:
WHAT?! It was all just a DREAM?! Now you tell me. I guess that's what I get for not being able to watch it beyond the flying monkeys. Man, those things are scary! :eek:
Get the book--it's MUCH, MUCH better!!! There's 41 official Oz books now according to the Int'l Wizard of Oz Club, Inc., and the 41st book was one that the Oz Club had published after a contest which I entered. All the books after Wonderful Wizard of Oz are wonderful, and I don't ever remember getting bored with any of the Oz books by either L. Frank Baum or Ruth Plumley Thompson, who took over Oz Histories after Baum died.

Yessiree, the books are MUCH better than the movies.

As far as Song of the South, it does portray the whities treating the slaves with some dignity, but also some stern treatments. I think also the problem with the film is because it does have slaves under the "Disney" name, but then again slaves shouldn't be a problem because they teach about that in grade school, and also there are slaves in Gone With The Wind, which is on cable at least twice per year.

It's the same thing as with Speedy Gonzales, they're afraid of offending someone so they try to nip it in the bud before anybody is actually offended, which offends me.

beaker

Reaction score
Randlev said:
*correction, disney only pretends it doesn't exist here in the States. It's been released on video all over the world except for the USA. And I know a week or two ago it was airing on British TV. I don't think it's Disney's fault that they haven't released it, I think it's the NAACP that won't allow Disney to release it. And I know Disney has tried to get a prominent African-American actor to do an introduction for it explaining that the time it came out was a very different time in history when people had different views on certain things. But I don't know how unintentionally racist it actually is, I've never seen the movie.
I've since seen this great classic bootlegged, the only way any fan can see it outside of Europe. Oddly enough the film is about the perspective of a freed slave, and is a celebration of tales in the midst of adversity. Perhaps the fact it deals with slavery at all in a children's story manner bothers some. Some people might think it's some minstrel show cartoon with offensive black face or other racial stereotypes, ala old Looney Tunes, Bettery Boop, etc shorts.
Given Disney has a gay weekend at Disneyland, and half their post Little Mermaid films feature non white mainc haracters/stories, I definately don't think Disney has anything to worry about by releasing this.

As for Speedy Gonzales...people who have wanted that character banned confuse me. Dont they want characters reflecting their particulair heritage out there? Speedy Gonzales is a hispanic character, yet various hispanic groups think he's ethniclaly insensitive. I wish all the political correctness
stuff would just go away...and everyone would sing the great Avenue Q song 'Everyone's A Little Bit Racist".

Now then, Muppets Wizard of Oz. It's gotta be better than CinderElmo right?
Hatcher is a smart guy...while noone could ever replace Juhl's brilliant riding, he knows the Muppets well. If...if they are able to make this Muppets Oz on the level of Shrek...as far as working on both a kids and adult level( a hard feat) than it could work.

Btw, does anyone know if they are rebuilding any old or forgotten Muppets, or just using the ones we saw in AVMMC?

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
beaker said:
As for Speedy Gonzales...people who have wanted that character banned confuse me. Dont they want characters reflecting their particulair heritage out there? Speedy Gonzales is a hispanic character, yet various hispanic groups think he's ethniclaly insensitive.
Actually, many Hispanic groups wanted him back on television, as he displayed positive qualities by being a hero.

:cool:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
ZootandDingo said:
Actually, many Hispanic groups wanted him back on television, as he displayed positive qualities by being a hero.

:cool:
Exactly my point. Cartoon Network was afraid of upsetting someone so they retired him, and nobody cared about anything sterotypical of him. He WAS the hero.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
????

I always like speedy, not to mention that the other girl mice all love him as well. He is a great herow and a great lover. Song of the South we will have to buy in bootleg for now...but who knows things may change in time.

I hope the muppets bring Dr. Teeth and the band back. After there last Christmas Special I was disappointed to hear so many voices had changed, especially Janice, scooter, and nephew Robin. One voice and person who is back is Rawlf the dog, who sounds different, but it is still very good.

I have been a master of voices for along time, and can do Sam the Eagel, Floyde Pepper, Dr. Teeth, and my persona fave. Kermit the Frog. I have often tried to get highered with the Henson Co. but they always tell me the same old stuff, I need more experience.

Like always with the art fields people want you to have all this experience before they higher you, but you cant get any experience because you can't get highered any where. so this winter I will be concentrating on putting together my owm puppet act.