What Disney is getting from Henson...

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Cheebo said:
But Sesame Workshop released video/dvd's with Kermit after the sale of the muppets like "What's The Name Of That Song?" DVD/Video out in april which had a few songs with Kermit.
Not only that but Sesame Street's "The Street We Live On" anniversary special last April had two *very brief* clips of Kermit at the end, and Disney hasn't made any fuss over that, and they had already acquired the rights to him when that aired.

And as far as making edits to previous productions that contain characters they don't own the rights to, I doubt they'll do this. Think about it: the video release of "Muppet Family Christmas" is already butchered enough as it is. If they were to make more cuts so as to eliminate the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters, no one would want to watch it because plot-wise the whole thing just wouldn't make any sense. There's just no way they could make such huge edits and still market it. What seems more likely to me is that they'll simply pay -- Sesame Workshop and / or the Henson company respectively -- the necessary royalties for the characters so they can release these productions without further edits.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Just think about the SS episdoes of TMS! That would be horrible to cut out the entire ending!!

Keep in mind, too, that even after the Disney/Spielberg fights, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is still on the market uncut, featuring Disney and Warner Bros. characters, and more, in the same film!

What's funny is I was joking earlier about cutting up movies, and the conversation is still going on about it! LOL!! Still, it's a spooky thing!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wrote to JHC and asked about what we call the characters. Obviously, there aren't any particular names outside of what they are, but they aren't called "Muppets" anymore. :frown:

Fraggle Rock Characters are just that. "Fraggles," "Gorgs," and "Doozers."
Sesame Street characters are called "Sesame Street Characters."

"You can call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner--or call me a Muppet!"
------------------------------------------
From Kevin:
Hi,

Disney bought the Muppets, so we now know that JHC is no longer 100% associated with that name.

However, JHC still owns Fraggle Rock, and Sesame Workshop owns the Sesame characters--what do we call THOSE characters now if not "Muppets?"

Help, please.

~Kev
"Fozzie Bear" at Muppet Central
From JHC:
Dear Kev,

As you know, the Fraggle Rock characters are called "Fraggles", Doozers" & "Gorgs".
While The Jim Henson Company provides the characters used on Sesame Street, those characters and the show itself are owned and run by Sesame Workshop. They are termed Sesame Street characters.

Thanks for writing and regards . . . The Jim Henson Company

beaker

Reaction score
Im sorry, but %#$@ this Bull. I WILL AND WILL ALWAYS CALL Fraggles and Sesame Street characters Muppets...*NOTHING* will ever change that to all the fans. Freaking EM.TV idiots back in 2000, and JHC selling out a legacy.

We will always have Muppet Family Christmas which shows all the franchises in harmony. It is the Fraggle Rock muppets, and the Sesame Street muppets, always. Disney can own the so called brand name, but they cant own history or what is. Just because JHC sold out doesnt mean the legacy is gone.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I forgot to post this email from today:

Dear Kev,

It is our belief that some things in life are cherished and heralded, but in this transitional time some items of interest to our fans will be logged and archived permanently, including episodes of The Muppet Show and all other Muppet related programs and motion pictures in which there was a connection to Fraggle Rock or Sesame Street characters. This has been the decision of the productions' new owners.

Thanks for writing . . . Henson Associates
Isn't that HORRIBLE??

Did you wet yourself? Just kidding, Cory, I made that up! :smile: THAT would be a day lived in infamy, and I would wet myself...among other things.

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
All this makes me wonder something. I am going completely on memory here, but didn't the opening titles to "Fraggle Rock" say something along the lines of "Starring Jim Henson's Muppets?" If so, would they now have to change the opening?

:cool:

Drum Eater

Reaction score
The whole idea of Disney owning the Muppets really scares me, especially with Disney's latest movies. Pirates of the Carribean is their only good movie in years! Remind me if I'm wrong... :eek: