Fun-4-All may produce Sesame Street Action Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
matleo said:
hmmm...I think we've just been told the plan is for 26 figures. Interesting.

--Matt
Well, they could always do Muppet numbers too...

King Prawn

Reaction score
Will they be to scale with the Muppet action figures?

just kidding, seriousley I'm not a big SS fan but i'm really excited about this, I can't wait for March to roll by, we'll have Series 7 of Palisades Muppet Figures and Series 1 of Fun-4-All's SS line.

One question for Mr. pdiresta, is the Cookie in Cookie Monsters hand sculpted onto it or is it an accessory?

thanks

pdiresta

Reaction score
Hey all,
Thanks for all the feedback! WOW.... lots of comments to go over.
You all make excellent points. But please remember this is still the first sculpts (they are still just clay, and don't have much of the articulation yet) We want this line to be more of a compliment to your muppet collection (ie: the Palisades Toys), not a line that is in direct competition, or pretending to be the same toy line. The comments about being "as good as Palisades" have gotten blown way out of proportion. We were just comparing the fact that they will have similar texturing, articulation, around the same scale, and quality detailed sculpting with great accessories and slick packaging.
Yes these figures will need to be attractive to parents and children younger than us... BUT, we're still going to try and put out a quality product that is fun and cool. We decided to go with a little more stylized look so they ARE different that the current Muppets line... So we obviously aren't doing the same thing. They will be cool on their own, or as the children's version of the Muppets...which they are.
ps: THE COOKIE IS AN ACCESSORY...It's not sculpted in his hand :smile:

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
Do you know how tall a Big Bird figure would be? Would he be about nine inches tall, or would you shrink him down a little?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally have to disagree...

I find the sculpts refreshingly stylized. And I gotta say, I'd swear I'd never have seen a Bert figure with that "Hey Baby" expression in my life!

Cookie Monster looks to have just slightly less articulation than the series 2 Fozzie Bear figures. I personally will buy both Palisades Muppet Show and Fun4All Sesame Street action figures. They are both great toy lines, and I absoultely can't wait for them... or to get money to buy them.

These are a refreshing change from the plush dolls that have dominated the market, making Cookie Monster look a lot like a Twiddlebug, all shaven and smooth... and the numerous "Hokey Pokey", "Limbo", and "Chicken Dance" Elmos.

I will no doubt get the complete set!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What made the company decide to base the figures off the SS art? Had you skipped stylized and gone straight for 'true likeness' I would feel better about this line. I was really excited at first, but I think there is a lot of work to be done to these figures before I'll be excited about buying them. Though I might anyhow.

Oh, and I'm happy to hear that the cookie is NOT connected to Cookie's hand.

Also, what is the status on the Oscar figure? Is he connected to his can? What's his playability? Why was there a sign and Slimey stuck to his can? Make those accessories (magnetic sign?) instead. I don't want a sign and Slimey stuck to my Oscar's can. Tell me, please, that you aren't settling on that Cookie Monster! He needs major tweaking.

Again, I'm disappointed that we're only getting figures representative of the cartoons of the puppets rather than a better likness. But, it's only the clay stage, and maybe you can change that?

Please?!

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Articulation doesn't really matter to me, and I don't really care what scale they are in - What I would want to see is more accurate likeness to the puppets.

I know it was a conscious decision to go "stylized" but my opinion is that we've had to compromise on likeness in decade after decade of Sesame toys because they were always plush or Fisher Price or cheap PVC's or something. Finally, when you get to a product where you actually CAN create a real likeness, why not do it?

Seems like a bad decision to me. I would probably have bought dozens of Sesame Figures that actually looked like the characters - and by going with "Cartoon" versions I doubt you will be gaining any customers. Even as a kid I remember getting frustrated that my little Bert figure didn't really look like Bert...

So, I'm not ragging on the figures themselves, I just think you went down a road I disagree with.

Besides, does anyone ever remember Oscar with the Lid on his head? Reminds me of the Fisher Price little people version...

- Derek

danielromens

Reaction score
I'd say at this point, they need a lot of work. I think rather than going for a scale similar to palisades, you should maybe make them a little larger and go for rotocast. This way they could be quite detailed, appealing to the collector, and be safe, appealing to the parents of young kids. With limited choke hazard accessories, the price would stay the same. Little kids toys don't need a boat load of accessories as little kids tend to lose that boat load.

As far as likenesses. Um...well...Oscar looks good. I'd cut Bert's head off and start over though. I understand stylizing them to look like the cartoon versions we see on t-shirts, but I don't think that has necessarilly been acheived. The SS characters have always had a softer look and while I see a hint of this with the others, especially Oscar, I don't think Bert has it at all. He looks like an off branded bootleg toy. No offence. Just an opinion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
What made the company decide to base the figures off the SS art?
Probably SW itself. Remember the Inspector Figure? it didn't look like the cartoon Inspector, just one on a movie poster. That's what the Company wants. They probably have to do it that way.

Am I the only one that thinks Cookie Monster looks good? His eyes need to be a touch smaller, but other than that, it's great.

Oscar being in the can is a slight dissappointment, but he's rarely been out of it, so other than the designers, no one knows what the lower part (stomach to crotch, his legs pop out of the can sometimes) looks like.

The Bert's expression is just funny to me. that's why I like it so much... It's like he's flirting!

But Super grover looks the best of them all.

But seriously. I've seen millions of other toy line worse than this.

Look at the Simpsons. They're glorified PVC's that talk. They can cost up to as Much as a Muppet figure, and no one really complains (except for Data Base.. worst figure ever) And The Peanuts line was dissappointing. Hollow heads, extremely limited articulation, bland paint jobs. Both lines are great in their own right, but the Sesame figures, though a far cry from the greatness of Palisades, are much better.

besides... this is probably f4a's first venture into action figures (that I know of) go easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.