Losing our great stars...

wolfy

Reaction score
Hi, all:

I am so depressed and sad today...

We lost Buddy Hackett last night, and the night before we lost the great Kathrine Hepburn. Last week it was Gregory Peck...

Seems all the great stars are passing on us...the ones that people remember as "true" movie stars; the ones you could call by their first name and people would know instantly who you were talking about.

What did make me laugh a little yesterday when the various TV and news magazine shows who claim to be so "in the know" about Hollywood and it's people were making those shouting headlines of "Katherine Hepburn...her life, career and the love you didn't know about!"

I was thinking, "Who could they mean? Everyone knew she and Spenser Tracy were together from the first time they met on their first movie, but they were so discreet and nice about it (including the press) because he was a married man. Wonder who they are talking about?"

So I watched...it was Spence. My goodness...Kate herself said that they had this life-long affair, but they were good about not being in the public eye and so forth so as not to hurt Mrs. Tracy (I think she probably knew, don't you?), but their hearts were behind it. So what was with the big, screaming headline of the "love you didn't know about!"? I don't know...

And today...Buddy Hackett...I just watched "Love Bug" last night and was thinking how great he is, so funny and so wonderful an actor. I'm so sorry to see him go. At least he had gotten his star on the "Walk of Fame" prior to his passing (about 8-10 years ago, I think), and he's been on a couple shows in the past few years. I'm only sorry that stage fright kept him out of the limelight these last few years...he's a great comedian and a wonderful actor.

Buddy, Kate...the world is going to be missing some wonderful people. May the angels know they are among the great one...
wolfy :cry:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It always comes in 3's, doesn't it?

Even when Jim Henson passed, Sammy Davis Jr and one other person died around the same time.

Hopefully, the stars we have can be around for a bit longer, and will get some kind of new projects instead of just being in the dark until the end. Our classic actors/actresses deserve recognition again!!

Foz

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
We lost Buddy Hackett too?? I hadn't even heard about him! I loved "The Love Bug," and he was terrific in it. We've lost so many great performers in the past few years... Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon... and so many others. I actually found out about Katharine Hepburn online too, on the website of a friend who does movie reviews. She was certainly a formidable lady. My great-aunt was a friend of hers, though I can't recall her ever saying much about her. I think she worked at a hotel the Hepburns used to frequent, or something like that.
Erin

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I knew about Katherine Hephburn's passing, but, Buddy Hackett? How did- When did- Who did- Too many questions. There was a good performer. The first time I saw him in a movie (other than The Little Mermaid) was in The Music Man. Then came The Love Bug. Hehe! I love his Irish Coffee scene!

Wow! It's hard to believe that...

CraigD

Reaction score
And don't forget the great Hume Cronyn died only a week or so again. Another great actor.

Craig

wolfy

Reaction score
CraigD said:
And don't forget the great Hume Cronyn died only a week or so again. Another great actor. Craig
You're right, Craig. I'd forgotten about Hume. I love watching movies with both him and his late wife, Jessica Tandy, in them. Those two were always so cute together.

Yesterday (July 4) we lost Barry White, the great singer. He was only 58. That velvety smooth voice is now singing for the angels, sending hundreds of lady angels swooning, if God will let them swoon, that is. :smile:

*sigh* Too many great ones going way too soon...
wolfy

Sweetums74

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Even when Jim Henson passed, Sammy Davis Jr and one other person died around the same time.
Foz
I think this was Lucille Ball.
C

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Seems you might be right about Lucy. She had just sent off an autographed photo of herself to me and I got it after she had died.

According to reports, Buddy Ebsen died over the weekend, too. :frown:

He was our friend Jed Clampett, Barnaby Jones, and the original Tin Man in 1939's Wizard of Oz.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i was shocked to find out that barry white died at 58. i thought that was to young for anybody. although some talented people have passed away recently, you still have other great people that are still alive and kicking. just look at clint eastwood. where would we be without him right now?....now he's a cool actor....how about jack palance or jack nicholson..they're still around

ryan

teebs

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
There was a good performer. The first time I saw him in a movie (other than The Little Mermaid) was in The Music Man.
I was so sad when I heard about Buddy Hackett... I'm a HUGE Music Man fan and he was great in that. I've also loved The Little Mermaid since I was a kid.

He will be missed.