Bad Baby Names

wolfy

Reaction score
"Dorcus?"

Wow, that's the first I've heard someone called that since "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Julie Newmar was "Dorcus" on that movie, and a sexier woman I have never known of in my life (and I'm a female who loves guys)!

We were going to name our youngest "Jerath," but so many people kept asking, "Do you mean 'Jared?'" that we finally decided to call him "Jerad," but with the unusual spelling (the "a" and "e" are switched).

In our hearts, though, that red-headed, green-eyed little monster will always be our goblin king, "Jerath." And he knows it, too, and loves the name! He tells people his name is "Jerath," but people call him "Jerad." He's a strange kid, our Jerad...

howling at ya,
wolfy

PS My oldest son wants to have a son someday and name him "Zaphod," after Zaphod Beeblebrox in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Personally, I hope that whomever gets him for a husband either 1) has a good sense of humor, or 2) talks him the **** out of it. I told you my kids were weird! Any of you girls out there interested in a 22-year-old college student who wants to name his kid "Zaphod?"

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
digging up a slightly old thread
Someone mentioned the name "Dorcas" in here,right? Well,my sister worked with a woman named Dorcas this past summer.Weird name,I know! I said to my sister,"You sure it's not Doris?" She said that it was Dorcas
Hey! I know somebody with that very name!

SSLFan

Reaction score
I knew a guy named Mamado....no wait, is it Mamadou or....well something like that. Anyways, it's pronounced "Mama-do." Pretty weird huh?

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Heehee, this reminds me of a Whose Line segment I saw the other day. They were playing scenes from a hat, and the scene was "Names your kids will hate you for" or something like that. So, Ryan comes out and gives kind of a dumb one (I don't remember it), the Colin comes out and he has this really upset look on his face, and he's like: "Come here, Colin." Oh my gosh it was the funniest!

peyjenk

Reaction score
One of my parents' friends is married to a social worker, who had all kinds of crazy names.

One was a girl whose real, actual, name was Cherry Cherry. As in, Cherry was her first name and Cherry was her last name. She had been named her mother's maiden name, but she eventually had to be adopted by her maternal grandmother... so that one really couldn't be helped, I suppose.

She also told us about twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello. They were pronounced "Luh-MON-jull-o" and "Or-ON-jull-o".

Davina

Reaction score
in the definately unusual name grouping..
my eldest step daughter just had a baby girl and her name (according to one of my younger step daughters, so she's not sure she has all the spelling right...) is Gaia Araida Lioria Saunders

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's like a third-cousin of mine whose name was Shirley and married a guy whose last name is Shirley, so she's Shirley Shirley.

Davina, are those names specifically regional, or do they all mean something?

peyjenk

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, there was also apparently a dad who was a sports nut and his kids were Fox and Espn (pronounced es-spin).

There are some bizarre people in this world.

Davina

Reaction score
i have no idea what she was thinking with those names.. she's 20 and they're both a little "hippy" (or whatever the term is these days..) so it's hard to tell where exactly they pulled the names from.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I saw on some ESPN thing, where there are a instance of at least 6-12 people named Espn, or something similar to that. I read somewhere that there was a kid that was gonna be named 4real, but New Zealand wouldn't let em do it, I can't remember why, I think that they won't allow #'s in a name or something like that, so they named it Superman but just CALL it 4real. Which is SO much better. There was also a couple who named their kid Wrigley, their last name was Fields, so the kids name was Wrigley Fields. Some weird people out there.