The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
In 1979, when Saturday Night Live was on, (I was 10 or 11) we tried our hardest to stay up in hopes of seeing Mr. Bill. For those who don't know, Mr. Bill was a little man made out of Play Doh, who routinely got mutilated at the hands of Mr. Sluggo (another Play-Doh figure) or the evil Mr. Hands.
Mr. Bill! Oh nooooo!

Okay, so off topic but random story, so my first exposure to Mr. Bill was actually on an old Mst3k recording from 1992 on Comedy Central (if you know me well, you know I've loved that show all my life; this came from numerous fan recorded tapes when my dad taped the show back in the day), and Comedy Central back in the day made a series of "We're all going to die" commercials. Mr. Bill was in one of them. He explains how making movies can be dangerous, but real life is also dangerous and you should be careful, blah blah, something Mr. Bill would say. Then Mr. Hands says he needs to blow dry Mr. Bill's hair when the crew need him on the set. Unfortunately for Bill, the heat of the blow-dryer causes his face to melt away with his usual "Ohhhh nooooo!!!!!!"

But unfortunately for me, since I didn't know who Mr. Bill was at the time, I remember my 7-year-old self being sooo traumatized probably for the rest of the night when I saw that commercial (and I think I remember just taking the tape out afterwards, and just flat out refused to watch that particular tape for a long, long time; though sadly, I later on discovered the same commercial was on another Mst3k tape my dad made). Wasn't until later I saw a commercial, I think on Visa cards, that ended up with him drowning in a pool. I immediately recognized the voice and appearance as the same character in the commercial I described and pretty much learned he was a butt monkey character (which made sense).

But, yeah. It's amazing how a childhood fear can lead to something you'll enjoy as you get older and learn more.

Also, here's the commercial if anyone is curious to watch it (captured from yours truly :smile: ):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hdivl

(Unfortunately, MC ain't letting me embed it. :rolleyes: )

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Mr. Bill! Oh nooooo!

Okay, so off topic but random story, so my first exposure to Mr. Bill was actually on an old Mst3k recording from 1992 on Comedy Central (if you know me well, you know I've loved that show all my life; this came from numerous fan recorded tapes when my dad taped the show back in the day), and Comedy Central back in the day made a series of "We're all going to die" commercials. Mr. Bill was in one of them. He explains how making movies can be dangerous, but real life is also dangerous and you should be careful, blah blah, something Mr. Bill would say. Then Mr. Hands says he needs to blow dry Mr. Bill's hair when the crew need him on the set. Unfortunately for Bill, the heat of the blow-dryer causes his face to melt away with his usual "Ohhhh nooooo!!!!!!"

But unfortunately for me, since I didn't know who Mr. Bill was at the time, I remember my 7-year-old self being sooo traumatized probably for the rest of the night when I saw that commercial (and I think I remember just taking the tape out afterwards, and just flat out refused to watch that particular tape for a long, long time; though sadly, I later on discovered the same commercial was on another Mst3k tape my dad made). Wasn't until later I saw a commercial, I think on Visa cards, that ended up with him drowning in a pool. I immediately recognized the voice and appearance as the same character in the commercial I described and pretty much learned he was a butt monkey character (which made sense).

But, yeah. It's amazing how a childhood fear can lead to something you'll enjoy as you get older and learn more.

Also, here's the commercial if anyone is curious to watch it (captured from yours truly :smile: ):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hdivl

(Unfortunately, MC ain't letting me embed it. :rolleyes: )
This site doesn't allow videos embedded from Dailymotion, that's why.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not necessarily sad, but I remember in the years before YouTube, there actually was a site out there called MyVTV - it was a YouTube-like website that catered specifically to film students; when I took Video Production as an elective in middle school, we frequently visited this site to see what other film students out there were doing, and to see what kind of possibilities we're open to ourselves if we really applied ourselves to what we were working on.

I think the site has long been defunct, but surprisingly, I was able to find one of the films that was hosted on that site back in the day on YouTube:

Even back then, my classmates and I were struck by just how bad this guy's acting was, but that's actually what made it memorable for us. I especially remembered the narmish way he delivered, "This smells like fish . . . this smells like . . . tuna fish . . . Char-lie."

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
That moment when you realize the first Ice Age movie is 15 years old!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Random note, but am I the only one who's never really cared for Ice Age? I only found the squirrel character to be memorable.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I liked the first one pretty well, and felt like it was fine as a stand-alone feature; the sequels, on the other hand. . . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even so, Blue Sky keeps hinting there may even be a sixth one.

Again, I think DreamWorks made the right move to end Shrek when they did: after four movies, I don't think people would want anymore . . . even though now they're rebooting Shrek, but supposedly a "next generation" rebooting focusing on the orge babies and the dronkeys.