Oscar's On-Again/Off-Again Accent

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We all know that Oscar's voice was inspired by a cab driver who drove Caroll to the original SST studio when he first came to New York, but has anyone else besides me noticed that in the earlier seasons of the show, Oscar also seemed to go back and forth in having a sort of Tony Danza-esque New York accent and not having an accent at all?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've also noticed that from Episode 1 and throughout the 70s, Big Bird would often bob his head when he would walk, much like a number of species of real birds do. These are subtle little nuances that Caroll gave the characters, but it kind of makes me wonder why he eventually dropped them.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
We all know that Oscar's voice was inspired by a cab driver who drove Caroll to the original SST studio when he first came to New York, but has anyone else besides me noticed that in the earlier seasons of the show, Oscar also seemed to go back and forth in having a sort of Tony Danza-esque New York accent and not having an accent at all?
I was just thinking about this the other day. He did really seem to go back and fourth with the accent. In later years it seems to be gone almost entirely, except for a few words, occasionally, like when he says "What d'ya got the-ya (there)" (Sorry, it's hard to type a New York accent)
I noticed, Eric Jacobson seems to have added the New York accent back, just slightly.

I've also noticed that from Episode 1 and throughout the 70s, Big Bird would often bob his head when he would walk, much like a number of species of real birds do. These are subtle little nuances that Caroll gave the characters, but it kind of makes me wonder why he eventually dropped them.
My guess is just that your arm tires more quickly when you add subtle movements like that. Big Bird did seem to get a bit stiffer in the 90s, though i'm not sure if that's due to Caroll's age or because the character seems to have gotten older and more mature, and therefore less plucky and energetic.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I seem to have notice a bit of an accent in Oscars voice specifically in Christmas Eve of Sesame Street especially with his phrases like "If I was you" and "tomorrow mohning." That did seem to be dropped around the 80s though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How about the Season 3 opener, with David and Oscar exchanging favors? "I'll do you a favuh fuh you if you do a favuh fuh me."

gravy

Reaction score
I think in the early years Caroll wanted to keep the voice of the taxi driver, because that's what the voice was meant to be.

cjd874

Reaction score
It's been so long since I heard that one.
The segment is on YouTube, skip to 5:39.
I found another early example of Oscar's on-again/off-again accent from episode 158. Thoughts?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I think Oscar's voice was alot more nasally during the first 3 seasons, and 4/5 is where I feel like Caroll fixed up the voice a little more. So I can hear the accent going on and off.