Beauty and the Beast 2017 Disney remake

snichols1973

Reaction score
Starting today, the live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast is in theatres.

Feel free to comment on anything related to the movie, whether it be LeFou's relationship with Gaston, the new characters, or anything else...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said in the other thread, the outcry and backlash against this just proves how quickly we've regressed back to being an intolerant, unaccepting, divided, and bigoted country - and after the eight years of progress (albeit, not a lot) we made. This isn't too different from 2007 in Bush-era America, where parental groups, moral guardians, and others were burning Harry Potter books when J.K. Rowling revealed Dumbledore was gay. Not too different at all.

That being said, I'm tired of Disney rehashing its previous animated classics into modern live-action remakes . . . it seems to do nothing but support the notion that they've clearly completely run out of ideas.

Although I do like Emma Watson, and she is rather charming, that isn't enough to interest me in seeing this.

Schfifty

Reaction score
That being said, I'm tired of Disney rehashing its previous animated classics into modern live-action remakes . . . it seems to do nothing but support the notion that they've clearly completely run out of ideas.
Yep. And there'll be remakes of Aladdin and The Lion King to come out within the next few years. :rolleyes:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Saw it tonight and didn't like it. Overall, I thought they spend too much time either trying to repeat what was done in the original or try to address/fix certain elements in the original that weren't explained well or may have been plot hole-ish (Belle's mom, establishing a better connection with Belle and the Beast, how long are they cursed, how long she's in the castle), but mostly comes off as filler and pointless.

Buncha nitpicks/complaints here (I was pretty much writing this in my head as I watched it):

• Emma Watson can't sing. Sorry, not sorry. Also, she did not seem smart or assertive as she was in the original.
  • The Beast - not the least bit menacing. Or as likable. Or charming. Or funny.
  • Kevin Kline would make a great Geppetto if they ever remake Pinocchio.
  • There was one moment in the opening number that had me like, what? - The lyrics "I need six eggs / that's too expensive" were originally sung by two different people, because they're two different thoughts. In this one, sung by the same person and it makes no sense.
  • I didn't like the designs of any of the castle objects. The feather duster looked like a pen or a fancy comb and not a feather duster. Lumiere looked awful; just a dude with candles on his head and hands - real inventive - and I couldn't stand his voice. Cogsworth doesn't have half the personality of the original.
  • It bugged me so much that Mrs. Potts was like the only one looking into the camera when she sang most of the time.
  • It must have been my theater, but the sound mix wasn't great. I couldn't make out half the lyrics in "Gaston." Speaking of which - hey, when he says "I use antlers in all of my decorating" - why not show that? It's a joke, exploit it.
  • The original lets Beast show some compassion by moving her out of the dungeon and into a cozy bedroom and deliberately gives her the library as a gift. In this one, Lumiere lets her out and the Beast just shows off the library as a humble brag. They try to add more to their relationship, but why remove those two elements?
  • I don't get how they tried to explain "Be Our Guest" working in-universe from the piano and then it suddenly becomes something that in no way would be real in the universe of the film? There's a portion where they sing completely out of Belle's sight (no, not the Mrs. Potts verse).
  • Oh, and the two most famous songs did this real weird thing where they slowed down the rhythm for a verse. I don't get why.
  • What happened to Gaston's plan to blackmail Belle into marrying him? His transformation from just jerk to murderer didn't translate at all.
  • I must have missed something, but like, they make Mr. Potts a character and have him appear a bunch of times in the village, but never make a reference to it until the end. No foreshadowing or anything? Same with the woman Cogsworth ends up with. Like, these things came out of nowhere.
  • Do we need to know what happened to Belle's mom? Who cares? The entire thing with the book was pointless.
  • Of the new songs, I really only liked the Beast's as Belle left. But I didn't like the end, with the really quick zoom all the way out to Belle exiting the castle gate. Use a dissolve, man. That looked terrible.
  • The magic mirror - terribly designed. The glass was way too small to actually see anything. And at one point, Belle doesn't say, "Show me the..." to bring up an image. C'mon!
  • "Something There" is no longer an inner monologue...because?
  • Why was Chip always, like, skateboarding or whatever on his dish? Why was he basically inseparable from it.
  • The end - ugh. Sure, it's a little cliche in the original that she breaks the spell just in time. But here, she doesn't and then the enchantress fixes everything. Hubba wha?
  • I guess they tried to do more with the librarian (priest?) from the opening number, since you see him trying to defend Belle and Maurice near the end, but nothing comes of it. Like, you had two whole hours; what could you possibly not have time for?
  • Sure, end the movie on a shot of Audra McDonald, not, you know, the MAIN TITLE CHARACTERS.
  • I would say the only good change they made was the fact that the castle deteriorates and the objects change closer and closer to inanimate as the rose pedals fall. That wasn't half bad.

There's probably more, but that's pretty much what irked me throughout.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Saw it tonight and didn't like it. Overall, I thought they spend too much time either trying to repeat what was done in the original or try to address/fix certain elements in the original that weren't explained well or may have been plot hole-ish (Belle's mom, establishing a better connection with Belle and the Beast, how long are they cursed, how long she's in the castle), but mostly comes off as filler and pointless.

Buncha nitpicks/complaints here (I was pretty much writing this in my head as I watched it):

• Emma Watson can't sing. Sorry, not sorry. Also, she did not seem smart or assertive as she was in the original.
  • The Beast - not the least bit menacing. Or as likable. Or charming. Or funny.
  • Kevin Kline would make a great Geppetto if they ever remake Pinocchio.
  • There was one moment in the opening number that had me like, what? - The lyrics "I need six eggs / that's too expensive" were originally sung by two different people, because they're two different thoughts. In this one, sung by the same person and it makes no sense.
  • I didn't like the designs of any of the castle objects. The feather duster looked like a pen or a fancy comb and not a feather duster. Lumiere looked awful; just a dude with candles on his head and hands - real inventive - and I couldn't stand his voice. Cogsworth doesn't have half the personality of the original.
  • It bugged me so much that Mrs. Potts was like the only one looking into the camera when she sang most of the time.
  • It must have been my theater, but the sound mix wasn't great. I couldn't make out half the lyrics in "Gaston." Speaking of which - hey, when he says "I use antlers in all of my decorating" - why not show that? It's a joke, exploit it.
  • The original lets Beast show some compassion by moving her out of the dungeon and into a cozy bedroom and deliberately gives her the library as a gift. In this one, Lumiere lets her out and the Beast just shows off the library as a humble brag. They try to add more to their relationship, but why remove those two elements?
  • I don't get how they tried to explain "Be Our Guest" working in-universe from the piano and then it suddenly becomes something that in no way would be real in the universe of the film? There's a portion where they sing completely out of Belle's sight (no, not the Mrs. Potts verse).
  • Oh, and the two most famous songs did this real weird thing where they slowed down the rhythm for a verse. I don't get why.
  • What happened to Gaston's plan to blackmail Belle into marrying him? His transformation from just jerk to murderer didn't translate at all.
  • I must have missed something, but like, they make Mr. Potts a character and have him appear a bunch of times in the village, but never make a reference to it until the end. No foreshadowing or anything? Same with the woman Cogsworth ends up with. Like, these things came out of nowhere.
  • Do we need to know what happened to Belle's mom? Who cares? The entire thing with the book was pointless.
  • Of the new songs, I really only liked the Beast's as Belle left. But I didn't like the end, with the really quick zoom all the way out to Belle exiting the castle gate. Use a dissolve, man. That looked terrible.
  • The magic mirror - terribly designed. The glass was way too small to actually see anything. And at one point, Belle doesn't say, "Show me the..." to bring up an image. C'mon!
  • "Something There" is no longer an inner monologue...because?
  • Why was Chip always, like, skateboarding or whatever on his dish? Why was he basically inseparable from it.
  • The end - ugh. Sure, it's a little cliche in the original that she breaks the spell just in time. But here, she doesn't and then the enchantress fixes everything. Hubba wha?
  • I guess they tried to do more with the librarian (priest?) from the opening number, since you see him trying to defend Belle and Maurice near the end, but nothing comes of it. Like, you had two whole hours; what could you possibly not have time for?
  • Sure, end the movie on a shot of Audra McDonald, not, you know, the MAIN TITLE CHARACTERS.
  • I would say the only good change they made was the fact that the castle deteriorates and the objects change closer and closer to inanimate as the rose pedals fall. That wasn't half bad.

There's probably more, but that's pretty much what irked me throughout.
I agree with literally everything you said. I felt like they were trying to retread an already perfect masterpiece, but only told worse. Nothing justified the movie's existence or why we needed the tale being retold again.