Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4606 - Valentine's Day

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I realized not long ago that while the HBO deal increases the episode count per season, no where has it said that all 35 episodes of the season would be new shoots (without repeats).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I realized not long ago that while the HBO deal increases the episode count per season, no where has it said that all 35 episodes of the season would be new shoots (without repeats).
That's true but I don't really mind too much,just as long as we get at least 26 new street scenes in season 47. Although,with their new budget I would really like them to focus more on making the street stories rather than the inserts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did anyone notice the little background moment with Bert exchanging Valentines with a (Muppet) pigeon? I always knew he loved pigeons, but I had no idea it had become something of a Gonzo/chicken type of thing.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I thought the pigeon stole his Valentine, because he has a grouchy look.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Saw it through the Rebroadcast at the risk of missing Bunnicula. I figured, I'll be able to see that again soon enough, when am I getting HBO free again?

I like the idea of a holiday episode. We don't see many of them, and when we do, it's usually the Grouch version of it. Have to admit, I liked the Abby and Elmo bit about their Valenties to each other getting ruined, but loving them for the effort anyway. But to me, the prize part of the episode was all about Oscar. I loved seeing him conflicted and sending out those mixed signals about how conflicted he was. And I'm not ashamed to admit that Slimey giving him a Valentine was some serious heartmelting stuff. I've always loved that about the character and how he shows all his care for his pet worm.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Just wanna remind everyone this episode premieres on PBS tomorrow. Get ready to see the first of some really good holiday episodes from Sesame Street.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
OK, so when I said in my last review I didn't want to make you wait until February for my next review, I guess I wasn't technically wrong. I made you wait until March. Sorry about that, I had to go back to school. But now that school's out thanks to a certain virus, I can write more reviews. Starting with the Valentine's Day special. But is this episode lovely, or will it leave me brokenhearted? Let's find out.

So the episode starts with Elmo talking about Valentine's Day, and a bathtub shows up for some reason (by the way, while I was typing this, I realized "bathtub" is almost a palindrome). Why? I don't know, but he has a valentine for Elmo, which I also have no answer to. This is definitely a Big Lipped Alligator Moment.

So the episode proper begins with Elmo, giving valentines to his friends. And of course, he sings a song about it. After all, this is 2010s Sesame Street, so they have to sing about everything. Luckily it's short, and the plot it set up with Elmo trying to give a special valentine to Abby, only for a dog to steal it. When he finally gets it back, it's all mutilated from being inside a dog's mouth for what I can assume was a long time. And of course he tries to hide it from her. Meanwhile, Abby is making Elmo heart-shaped cookies with Alan. Guess what happens. Just guess. Yup, they burn. And we get the cliched ending of everything being OK because love. There's also a side plot where Oscar is trying to have a rotten Valentine's Day, and is nearly ruined by Grover delivering a valentine for Slimey. Of course, he gets sad because getting valentines makes him angry. Luckily for him, he gets one Slimey made. This plot is better than the main one, but that's not saying much. And also, it's February, yet all the trees have leaves. Why? Oh well, at least there was some good pacing here, especially for the HBO era (I'll get to that...)

Now for the letter of the day. It's V, and to celebrate, we get...
And immediately go to Crumby Pictures.

Speaking of which, this one's a parody of Twilight, which, while a bit late, is still very refreshing to see. Especially since the only other Twilight parody I can think of is Seltzer and Freidberg's Vampires Suck, which I think is worse than Twilight itself. Thankfully, this one's nothing like that. There's some message about controlling yourself, but it's really funny. Especially when Cookie (I mean Shortbreadward)'s "calming" activities consist of jumping off waterfalls, and Leslie's impeccable performance basically saying the same thing in a monotonous tone. This is definitely the best part of this otherwise very dull episode.

For the number of the day, it's 14 (probably because Valentine's Day is on February 14). Once again, we get...
And go directly to Elmo the Musical.

This time, it's Airplane the Musical. Sadly, this is not a musical based on the 1980 comedy classic, but rather a musical about Elmo flying an airplane for a penguin who's getting married. And it's... not very good. First, why does Elmo immediately decide to be a pilot for this musical? I assume it was cut out for time, but really? So they fly to the jewelry store and get a ring. I love the clerk's hammy reactions to seeing the plane crash through his store. Then they go to get some bridesmaids and hire cows for some reason. The weight of the cows makes the plane impossible to fly, so they get to the wedding by breaking the laws of physics. I hate it when fiction does that, so I just skipped to the end. I'm thankful I did, because this actually isn't the last segment before the credits. But I really, really wish it was...

So, remember when I pasted the clip from UHF to show that there was "NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" for the letter/number of the day. Well, I never mentioned why. It's because of this stupid song from YouTube that they shoehorned in because it's about Valentine's Day. I don't want to embed it here because I want to spare your ears (but you've probably already heard it since you've likely seen this episode), so I'm just gonna say they should never put YouTube crap into episodes again. And sadly, while this is the first time they do this, it's far from the last...

All in all, there are some really good parts to this episode, some really bad parts to this episode, and some really mediocre parts to this episode. I might as well give this the most fair rating for an episode like that, a 5/10. Not angry I checked it out once, but I doubt it'll become an annual V-Day watch.

Well, that concludes my review of Valentine's Day. Stay tuned for when I finally review The Best Friend Band. I hope we get our first actually good episode soon, but I doubt that'll be it.