Big Bird on Soul Man (1998)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Funny thing about a show where Dan Aykroyd plays a priest is that from what I understand, Dan actually considered becoming a priest before he turned to show business.
Yeah from what I read, his parents wanted to get him into a good school, so when the admissions person asked if he wanted to be a priest, he responded, "........Mmm...Yeaaaah....sure." Lol.

Still it must have had some kind of impact, looking at some of the themes in Blues Brothers. :wink:

And another thing that's amusing too is that his character Father Mike actually looks a lot like the former musical director at our old church, who now has his own church out in California, and he's hoping to spread it across the country.
Yeah, my church could have used someone like that, lol. The music was always so dreary. We actually did have a decent group at one point, with singers and guitarists, etc., but the leader didn't treat people very well. Drama, drama, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be fair, it was a step above the usual so precious family sitcom that was trying too hard to be the TGIF formula from the 80's. Akroyd and Clark (and Goodman in the case) bumped the show up from being forgettable and less than mediocre to not bad, certainly ABC did worse (cough cough...Hope and Faith...cough cough...According to Jim). I just am not a fan of the oh so precious kid actor family sitcoms, especially the older I get. And, again, this is hardly the worst one or even the most unwatchably annoying one. Heck, Akroyd even managed to shove a Julia Child SNL skit reference in an episode.

Just....

His former early SNL co-star managed to star in a better, denser, smarter sitcom at the same time. And as for Anthony Clark, he really struggled to find a sitcom back then (he was in at least 2 more that weren't that good), but I think he was put to good use in Yes, Dear, a sitcom on the heels of the actual adult centered family sitcom with more realistic child interaction, started by Everybody Loves Raymond.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Akroyd and Clark (and Goodman in the case) bumped the show up
Oh absolutely, I agree they are two stand outs in pretty much all the episodes.

His former early SNL co-star managed to star in a better, denser, smarter sitcom at the same time.
That was at the same time? Wow, time flies, lol. And Jane Curtin also had Kate & Allie in the 80s too.

And as for Anthony Clark, he really struggled to find a sitcom back then (he was in at least 2 more that weren't that good), but I think he was put to good use in Yes, Dear, a sitcom on the heels of the actual adult centered family sitcom with more realistic child interaction, started by Everybody Loves Raymond.
Yeah there are always those actors who clearly would be amazing if just given the right vehicle.